Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Private FFL transfers?

How has everyone experience been with FFL's based out of peoples' homes? I was very hesitant to try it because of all the variables in play. I did call prior to ensure the FFL was still receiving and transferring firearms and get the green light to go from this FFL.

I recently made a purchase and decided to try a FFL based out of someone's home since it is very close by and was listed as a preferred FFL for transfers. Tanner's is my usual go too, but it didn't look like Brownell's was accepting orders to them.
    I purchased a brand new stripped BRN-22T 10/20 Takedown clone receiver from Brownell's. Receivers arrived today9/28. Private FFL request usual personal information via e-mail, which I supplied. In that process, I also wanted to ensure the FFL was familiar that they transfer it to me as an "Other firearm", not handgun or long gun. The rest was done via text.

This is where it gets confusing. The FFL inquired if I was building it as either a rifle or pistol, to which I replied "I don't know right now". Which is why I wanted to ensure it was transferred as an "other" so that I had options. I bought the receivers as an impulse buy because of the current climate, it was on sale, and it be a nice build for the kids down the road. FFL brought up SBRs and class III and their legalities for some reason. I don't think I ever mentioned putting on a <16" barrel, with a stock, to infer that as my intention. To which I replied that I am familiar with the NFA and own an NFA item. I told him my plan was to either build a rifle (16+" with stock) or a pistol (any length barrel with a pistol chassis/pistol brace). I asked him to call me since we both needed some clarification. I haven't heard from him since, but I am thinking he is just respecting his own business hours. Hopefully I can call him tomorrow and get that sorted out.

Am I doing this wrong? FFL is stating that an AR Pistol has to be registered with the state if I build it from a stripped receiver, otherwise, it becomes an NFA item? I'm under the impression that pistol braces on pistols was a way to circumvent the NFA and that that virgin stripped receivers can be built into rifles or pistols(with braces) without additional paperwork.

I am thinking this FFL isn't familiar with stripped receivers or pistol/pistol braces. Currently considering having them ship it to an actual gunstore/FFL now.
    Last edited by FJR86; September 28th, 2020 at 08:54 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Private FFL transfers?

That guy I would avoid. The kitchen table guys I*ve used were competent. This guy isn*t.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Allegheny County)

doesn't seem to know his stuff

(Chester County)

Hoplophobia is funny

(Montgomery County)

I don't think I should need to prove myself, but what documentation do I have to demonstrate to this gentleman that he can transfer the receivers at "other", opposed to a handgun or long gun. I went over his text again and he explains that building an AR Pistol requires state registration, and if I don't it becomes an NFA item? Which would make sense if I bought an AR Pistol in that form. But I bought virgin stripped 10/22 receivers that I may or may not build as a rifle or pistol. FFL is thinking if I build it into a pistol, he/the FFL needs to transfer me as such. At least if he transfers it as a pistol, I can build it as a rifle down the road.

But I am kind lost with my next step with the guy. I am trying to figure out a polite way of saying I want him to ship my receivers to another FFL. Pay my transfer fees and pay this guy to send my receivers to my preferred FFL? Just take them as pistols if he doesn't budge? The FFL Transfer fee doesn't change based on the type of firearm.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    That works! Where can I find the rest of that documentation so he doesn't think I am making this stuff up?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    I don't think I should need to prove myself, but what documentation do I have to demonstrate to this gentleman that he can transfer the receivers at "other", opposed to a handgun or long gun. I went over his text again and he explains that building an AR Pistol requires state registration, and if I don't it becomes an NFA item? Which would make sense if I bought an AR Pistol in that form. But I bought virgin stripped 10/22 receivers that I may or may not build as a rifle or pistol. FFL is thinking if I build it into a pistol, he/the FFL needs to transfer me as such. At least if he transfers it as a pistol, I can build it as a rifle down the road.

But I am kind lost with my next step with the guy. I am trying to figure out a polite way of saying I want him to ship my receivers to another FFL. Pay my transfer fees and pay this guy to send my receivers to my preferred FFL? Just take them as pistols if he doesn't budge? The FFL Transfer fee doesn't change based on the type of firearm.

Oh shit. I couldn't tell from your OP, but did you already purchase and choose him as the receiving FFL?

I was going to say pick someone else, but it sounds like that's too late.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Unfortunately, the receivers are already in his possession at this point. I didn't realize this was going to be an issue as I assumed it was common knowledge the new stripped receivers are classified as "other". It specifically says it on the 4473! I didn't think to ensure this fact FFL knew prior to ordering. But given this experience, I'll try to stick with my usual FFL, even though it is a drive to get there.
    Last edited by FJR86; September 28th, 2020 at 10:37 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJR86 View Post
    That works! Where can I find the rest of that documentation so he doesn't think I am making this stuff up?
    Found it! Thanks for the letter!

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/op...es-or/download

I sent the guy the document. I gave him options, but I told him I want the receivers sold to me as "other". But of course its still going to look like I am just saying it to get my way. I can't prove that built AR pistols doesn't need registration with the state. etc.

I offered 3 options that would make both parties satisfied at this point since he doesn't seem to know the specifics or what is just "passed down information":
    Pay his transfer fee and shipping to another FFL (Tanner's)
    Meet him at another FFL (Tanner's), Pay fees for both, and have Tanner's explain to this guy why the receiver is always "other" and why building a pistol after the sale doesn't require registration or filing for an NFA Form1. Or maybe Tanner's will end up schooling me.
    Have him return the receivers to Brownell's and let me start over again picking a different FFL.
    Last edited by FJR86; September 28th, 2020 at 11:18 PM.

(Bucks County)

What a p.i.t.a.
    Email me.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast