Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Grouse Hunting in PA

Southern Clinton County the same with grouse. I have seen ZERO dusting themselves on the forestery roads and a few walking the field edges and brush in rabbit country. (minis the rabbits).
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Indiana County)

There used to be a lot of them in the old strip mines grounds. I haven't seen any in two years and heard very few last spring.
    There are tons of egg eating critters running around now that so few people trap. It might be time to eliminate the furtakers license in the state.

(Chester County)

Two or three years ago, I was speaking with a fellow who mentioned that Ruffed Grouse populations were being decimated by avian influenza. I can't verify the claim but it sounds like he may have been correct.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by HDT20 View Post
    There used to be a lot of them in the old strip mines grounds. I haven't seen any in two years and heard very few last spring.
    There are tons of egg eating critters running around now that so few people trap. It might be time to eliminate the furtakers license in the state.
    And why would eliminating the furtaker license be the answer? I wait with anxious anticipation as you attempt to explain.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Indiana County)

"Anxious anticipation", wow.
    Getting rid of the requirement of purchasing the furtaker's tag might get more hunters /trappers to go after the critters that eat the eggs of ground nesting birds. If you know anything about the prices being paid for raw fur you know that there is no financial incentive for trapping.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    Two or three years ago, I was speaking with a fellow who mentioned that Ruffed Grouse populations were being decimated by avian influenza. I can't verify the claim but it sounds like he may have been correct.
    I don't know the answer to the decimation but if it was the avian influenza, then how come it didn't affect other birds?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    My understanding is that West Nile virus is hitting both the grouse and the turkey populations hard.

As to whether it is hitting other bird populations hard...I couldn't say. I realy haven't been paying attention to the numbers of Prothonotary warblers and Townsend's Solitaires, as I have no reason to do so. They may also be declining for all that I know.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

PGC report states it is avian influenza that has hit the grouse population hard. Seems to be ample turkeys where I'm at. I'll start worrying if I see my winter birds avoiding my feeder, staying out of flocks and wearing little beak masks.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12