Hi all,

So I have a question for anyone that is looking to provide input.

I went to purchase a firearm (have a bunch already and also have a PA CWP) last week and to my complete surprise the PICS check came back denied. I immediately filed a challenge form the next morning and called the State Police a day later. The State Police informed me that there is a Section 302 Involuntary Committal on my mental heal record with them and this is what is denying my 2nd amendment right.

In July of this year I went to the ER for an non-mental issue and after I wasn't receiving the care I wanted, I decided to try and leave. My wife was with me at the time and made a large production out of me wanting to leave early. I ended up getting into a heated argument with the ER doctor (no threats or anything of the sort). The doctor pulled my wife to the side and said "if you want him to stay here, I have some paperwork you can fill out and he will be ordered by law to stay". Low and behold, my wife filled out the paperwork having no idea it was a section 302 commitment. A few hours went by and a mental health practitioner came in and did a mental health evaluation. After we had seen what the paperwork was for (section 302) my wife rescinded it IMMEDIATELY.

When a section 302 is filed and then rescinded at the request of the person who filed it, my wife in this instance, the local county psychiatrist/delegate and ALSO the current ER doctor must sign off on it to be rescinded. All was done successfully and I went home a few hours later under the care of my wife.

Long story short, the State Police have on file that I WAS involuntarily committed, even though I was not. The gentleman I spoke to on the phone did not believe me of course and told me to call the county and the hospital who filed it (he gave me that information after pushing pretty hard). I called these facilities and NONE OF THEM have ANY RECORD on file.

So, at this point I am at a loss of what to do. I called the PICS Challenge unit again, spoke to the same person about it and explained that none of these organizations have anything on file, whatsoever. He said "wait until the challenge form comes back". However, I believe that simply shows 'why' they declined my application.

Does anyone have any advice here? The person I spoke to at the PSP Challenge unit said they do investigate matters like this but it can take up to 60 days, which in my opinion, because of INACCURATE records, is simply way too long.

Any advice, comments or feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!