Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Selling handgun on line

Have a Colt Diamondback 4" .22 I bought at Edelmans back in 77, put maybe 200 rounds though it. Are those prices on the auction sites I'm seeing legit ?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Selling handgun on line

Most of the asking prices are BS. Register on Gunbroker and search the closed auctions. Then see how many lots were even bid on and actually sold or there was a reserve. Even if you like the price remember the gunbroker fee (-10%?), less credit card and shipping. And many dealers won't receive firearms from an individual.

If you can find a local dealer that sells on gunbroker for a reasonable fee it should be best. Especially if they are well established with a good reputation and feedback. No one is going to give a good price to a private seller with one transaction.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fistv View Post
    Have a Colt Diamondback 4" .22 I bought at Edelmans back in 77, put maybe 200 rounds though it. Are those prices on the auction sites I'm seeing legit ?
    Assuming your looking at closed auctions that actually sold, it should give you a good ballpark of what to expect on an auction site if your looking at comparable items. That means condition and accessories if applicable, you have to compare apples to apples to get a reasonable number to expect.

Keep in mind there are fees and shipping costs/time not included in that final auction price that you would have to adjust for.

A local sale would be easier, wouldn't involve shipping, no money to fees but would probably get you less then what it would sell for at auction. It may or may not even out in the end.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by fistv View Post
    A colt diamondback in .38 Spl is a sought after revolver by Colt collectors similar to the Colt Python. So they are selling for premium prices. I don't know about the .22 caliber.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    A colt diamondback in .38 Spl is a sought after revolver by Colt collectors similar to the Colt Python. So they are selling for premium prices. I don't know about the .22 caliber.
    If I remember correctly the 22 pulls a premium compared to the 38.

The 37th Edition of the Blue Book of Gun values, (published in 2016), indicates the following for a blued 4" 22 Cal, (NOT THE MAGNUM), Diamondback:
    98% Condition=$1750
    95% = $1450
    90% = $1300
    80% = 1100
    70% = $995
    60% = $850
    Even at 10% of it's original condition, it was worth an estimated 350 bucks in 2016 per the BB.
    IMHO..........You "could" safely add 10% to 12% more to to bring it to today's value without scaring anyone off.

Regards,
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Bucks County)

I did a quick Gunbroker search of completed and sold listings and the .22 Diamonbacks are easily going for $1500+ and if you have a box over $2000. Some excellent condition pistols well over that. Cold snake pistols are hot.

(Monroe County)

Thanks, Been looking for an AR10 or M1A1 in .308 which I already reload for. The trade in offers for the diamondback were hilarious. I pay more for a box of Ligua privada no. 9's.

(Philadelphia County)

Snake guns are hot right now, along with the fact that everyone on earth seems to be losing their goddamned minds over firearms which are driving the prices up on everything.