Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default How many full-bore battle rifle rounds in a range session?

I’ve always been kind of curious; how many 30 caliber military rounds does the average Joe fire in one session before it becomes irritating?
    I have never been particularly sensitive to recoil, and I am 5-7 and 145 pounds. I shoot an original G.I. configuration M1 Garand with the steel butt plate, and a Springfield Armory Inc. M1A standard model with the fiberglass stock and the hard rubber butt pad.
    I’ve been shooting both of these rifles for many years, and I found that after about 60 rounds in part of an afternoon, I tend to have a mark on my shoulder the next day. After about 80 or 100 rounds, I end up with a pretty good discolored region ha ha.
    Mind you, this is not debilitating; it does not hurt when I move the shoulder or when I put clothes on or whatever, just when I touch it. I generally notice when my wife says something.
    Yeah, I know I am a lightweight and all, but I was curious if guys who are like 175 or 200 pounds have enough beef on the front of the shoulder where it doesn’t leave a telltale sign the next day!
    It doesn’t matter whether I am prone or in a more upright posture shooting off hand or over the bags.
    Just curious if I were the only guy who wondered about this and took note. Yes, I hold the weapon tight so it doesn’t get a “run” at my shoulder to develop KE before I get smacked (I have heard of this before).
    My experience is obviously not so traumatic as to prevent my repeating it over and over.
    😀
    Just wondering...

(Perry County)

Default Re: How many full-bore battle rifle rounds in a range session?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    I*ve always been kind of curious; how many 30 caliber military rounds does the average Joe fire in one session before it becomes irritating?
    I have never been particularly sensitive to recoil, and I am 5-7 and 145 pounds. I shoot an original G.I. configuration M1 Garand with the steel butt plate, and a Springfield Armory Inc. M1A standard model with the fiberglass stock and the hard rubber butt pad.
    I*ve been shooting both of these rifles for many years, and I found that after about 60 rounds in part of an afternoon, I tend to have a mark on my shoulder the next day. After about 80 or 100 rounds, I end up with a pretty good discolored region ha ha.
    Mind you, this is not debilitating; it does not hurt when I move the shoulder or when I put clothes on or whatever, just when I touch it. I generally notice when my wife says something.
    Yeah, I know I am a lightweight and all, but I was curious if guys who are like 175 or 200 pounds have enough beef on the front of the shoulder where it doesn*t leave a telltale sign the next day!
    It doesn*t matter whether I am prone or in a more upright posture shooting off hand or over the bags.
    Just curious if I were the only guy who wondered about this and took note. Yes, I hold the weapon tight so it doesn*t get a *run* at my shoulder to develop KE before I get smacked (I have heard of this before).
    My experience is obviously not so traumatic as to prevent my repeating it over and over.
    Just wondering...
    I'm a big boy (less so now) and I love recoil. With that said, regardless of what I shoot in the heavier recoil category, I end up with bruising.

The only shooting session I can remember that I really started to find uncomfortable was 3 or 4 rounds of trap shooting. On the last round, I noticed my jaw was getting achy from the constant abuse.

I have a Benelli M1 that tends to beat me up pretty good, or I beat myself up shooting 3" buck and slugs out of it.

Only one gun have I walked away from and sold. A TC Encore Katahdin in .500 S&W. That was the sharpest, most painful kick of anything I've ever fired.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, I had a chance to shoot a 500 S&W revolver years ago. I passed. In retrospect, I should have fired like one round or something. And then going to the hospital to see if both bones in my lower right arm were intact...
    When I was a much younger man, in the 1980s, are used to hunt with my fathers circa 1975 Remington 1100 Magnum 12 gauge. It was a heavy gun, as a shotgun goes, as I recall, but it had a really soft pad on the back of the stock. Still jerked me around as I went about 135 back then.
    I was about 130 in HS and I’m 53 now and 145 if I’ve just peed.

(Beaver County)

Come to a westren pa group shoot. We have all kinds of big bore hand guns to hurt ya.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Yeah, I had a chance to shoot a 500 S&W revolver years ago. I passed. In retrospect, I should have fired like one round or something. And then going to the hospital to see if both bones in my lower right arm were intact...
    When I was a much younger man, in the 1980s, are used to hunt with my fathers circa 1975 Remington 1100 Magnum 12 gauge. It was a heavy gun, as a shotgun goes, as I recall, but it had a really soft pad on the back of the stock. Still jerked me around as I went about 135 back then.
    I was about 130 in HS and I*m 53 now and 145 if I*ve just peed.
    I've made my Benelli worse. They're inertia operated so weight is critical in their function. I added a side saddle which meant I had to put a lighter recoil spring in it to function with the lighter stuff. It did my shoulder no favors.

I love the 1100s and 1187s until they get dirty.

I've been under 200 lbs once-for about a year-in my adult life.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Berks County)

Past recoil pad under your shirt and nobody gots to know your a ....... lol. I bought one 35 years ago when shooting every 12ga reload I made on a single outing turned my shoulder into a black and blue mess. Use it on all full size rifle rounds and up. 30-06 from a 03 Springfield, 45-70 marlin. Makes you look like a he-man. Don*t let those guys kick sand in your face at the beach.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(York County)

I bruise easy I guess, cause Ill have a little bruise if I shoot 150-200 rounds of .223 in one outing. If Im shooting the AR pistol with the shockwave brace, 50 rounds or so will leave a nice bruise.

I guess Im a wuss lol.

(Allegheny County)

I've really noticed much recoil from semi auto 30 cal rifles.

I've fired hundreds of 308 from my m1a in a range session and never had any soreness.

I supposed I learned how to manage recoil doing 500 bird shoots when I was 12.

I get it zeroed, a few more to check function and then clean it, put it away. Ammo is too dear right now for extended range trips,
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Past recoil pad under your shirt and nobody gots to know your a ....... lol. I bought one 35 years ago when shooting every 12ga reload I made on a single outing turned my shoulder into a black and blue mess. Use it on all full size rifle rounds and up. 30-06 from a 03 Springfield, 45-70 marlin. Makes you look like a he-man. Don*t let those guys kick sand in your face at the beach.
    I have a roll of bubble wrap in a closet and find that it works pretty damn good.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast