I’ve always been kind of curious; how many 30 caliber military rounds does the average Joe fire in one session before it becomes irritating?
I have never been particularly sensitive to recoil, and I am 5-7 and 145 pounds. I shoot an original G.I. configuration M1 Garand with the steel butt plate, and a Springfield Armory Inc. M1A standard model with the fiberglass stock and the hard rubber butt pad.
I’ve been shooting both of these rifles for many years, and I found that after about 60 rounds in part of an afternoon, I tend to have a mark on my shoulder the next day. After about 80 or 100 rounds, I end up with a pretty good discolored region ha ha.
Mind you, this is not debilitating; it does not hurt when I move the shoulder or when I put clothes on or whatever, just when I touch it. I generally notice when my wife says something.
Yeah, I know I am a lightweight and all, but I was curious if guys who are like 175 or 200 pounds have enough beef on the front of the shoulder where it doesn’t leave a telltale sign the next day!
It doesn’t matter whether I am prone or in a more upright posture shooting off hand or over the bags.
Just curious if I were the only guy who wondered about this and took note. Yes, I hold the weapon tight so it doesn’t get a “run” at my shoulder to develop KE before I get smacked (I have heard of this before).
My experience is obviously not so traumatic as to prevent my repeating it over and over.
😀
Just wondering...