Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Thoughts on Mossberg patriot banshee for deer rifle?

Looking to pick something up and this caught my eye. Anyone have one they can comment on? Quality, accuracy, etc? Never dealt with mossberg rifles...

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Thoughts on Mossberg patriot banshee for deer rifle?

I have heard one thing about the patriots, if you take the action out of the stock and drop the receiver on something there is a thin part that can get bent which will prevent you from putting the bolt back in.

From what I can tell they get decent reviews...better than the savage 110...only real complaint I’ve read is that the included weaver mounts suck...

I think if I can get one tomorrow in 270win for the deal I found I’m gonna grab it.

(Bucks County)

My kid has one in .308 with the walnut stock. I came really close to buying one when they were like $375.

I haven't shot it but it seems very accurate. The wood is really really nice. Especially for a Mossberg, and for how much they cost.

Only thing I didn't like, was something about the bolt just doesn't feel right. It feels kind of loose and rattly, although it's really not. Bolt also seems too light, like its made of alloy or something. It's like the complete opposite of a well oiled Swedish Mauser.

I still like them but I'm going to go with a Ruger M77 instead. For $500 I think it's a much better gun.

<$300 new out the door I won’t complain then...if I can get it within 1-1.5moa with a good scope it’s good enough to be a whitetail rifle for me...Sounds like it’s worth it...as long as they have the 270 I’ll jump

Not sure I’m thrilled with the Kryptek polymer stock, but I can live with it for the price

(Blair County)

Working up a load for a Patriot in .450 Bushmaster now. It won't be a tack driver in that cartridge for sure. The gun is light in the synthetic stock (version I have). Trigger breaks clean so I think 1.5 MOA would be possible, probably tighter in cartridge that would suit. The no name scope that came on the gun isn't great, but it will work. <$300 out the door is hard to beat for a "budget" rifle or something you can take in the woods and not be afraid to scratch.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    Working up a load for a Patriot in .450 Bushmaster now. It won't be a tack driver in that cartridge for sure. The gun is light in the synthetic stock (version I have). Trigger breaks clean so I think 1.5 MOA would be possible, probably tighter in cartridge that would suit. The no name scope that came on the gun isn't great, but it will work. <$300 out the door is hard to beat for a "budget" rifle or something you can take in the woods and not be afraid to scratch.
    I’m kinda thinking if I get a good scope it’ll do ok. In 270 it’s not like I’ll be making shots out past 200yds much so 1.5moa is plenty good enough.

What really has me is the price and the fact it has an adjustable trigger from factory

Followed me home today instead of another pistol..

Also had a 225lb 16 fun Fire safe looking at me funny....🤣 it followed me home too
    Last edited by Woodwanderer; September 24th, 2020 at 09:41 PM.

I gotta stop buying guns...said no one ever 😋

Gotta clean and lube her, scope it, throw on a sling, and off to the range. Trigger pull out of the box is crisp, may have to adjust it a bit lighter.

Anyone have suggestions for a good budget scope? Inside 400 yards is my intended distance, with an average of 200-250 or less

Bumping this back up. Took her to the range today for the first time with the vortex viper 6moa mounted FTFOI. Shot 130gr/150gr federal non typical And 130gr Remington CoreLokt at 50 yards. She does best so far with corelokt. Once I get a scope mounted I’ll take it back and try again.

Need to find an extra box mag and maybe get a wood stock for it. The polymer kryptek stock makes it way too light and it recoils just as bad if not worse than my 870 with 18” barrel, even with the 1” slip on pad installed. Not going to be good for me this season after ACDR surgery.

Top right was final zero at 50 yards (ran out of ammo). Not bad considering optics used