A guy I know from work came to me today and asked me if I knew anybody who wanted an M1 Carbine. We didn't get much time to talk about it, but he said he was looking for around $350-$400 for it, and that it needed new springs and badly needed a gas tube cleaning. Now this is one of those "dream guns" of mine that I'd love to own but never thought I'd really be able to afford(justify spending around $1000). The price sounds crazy low to me. I don't know how difficult it is to replace springs or clean a gas tube, but I know it's an absolute joy to shoot, and at least a full spring kit is cheap enough at about $20 on the few sites I looked at earlier today.

I know I definitely want it, I've wanted one for a long time, but considering the low price, I can't help but feel like something's gotta be wrong with it. I haven't looked at it yet, but what are some things I should try to look out for specific to the gun? And how expensive/hard to find is the .30 carbine ammo anyway(under normal circumstances, not during all the panic buying)?