Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M1 Carbine

(Bucks County)

Default Re: M1 Carbine

That is the first time I heard of a receiver wearing out (usually it is the oprod tab) but that sucks. M1 Carbines and Garands need to be properly greased. And that means grease NOT oil. This site does a good job explaining.

This is for a Garand but a Carbine is similar enough. Just do the receiver/ bolt/ oprod parts.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    That is the first time I heard of a receiver wearing out (usually it is the oprod tab) but that sucks. M1 Carbines and Garands need to be properly greased. And that means grease NOT oil. This site does a good job explaining.

This is for a Garand but a Carbine is similar enough. Just do the receiver/ bolt/ oprod parts.

Got a grease you recommend? I only have oil.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DerpSchnitzel View Post
    WWII rifles don't need modern greases. A pound tub of cheap $4 axle grease will last a lifetime and a light coating is all you need. Technically the army manuals for the carbine specified oil. Grease was for the Garands. But I lube the slide rails and bolt lugs with grease as shown and never had a problem. Grease stays put better and is added protection.

There is an old saying I believe in. If it slides use grease, if it turns use oil. If you decide to just oil I would use a heavier grade oil.

(Allegheny County)

Mobil 1 synthetic. one tub lasts decades.

(Cumberland County)

More details: It is apparently not a USGI model, it is a Universal, made after they started manufacturing their own parts. It has the metal vented handguard.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post

They break, and wear out. If you want to know how often just visit the https://forums.thecmp.org/forumdispl...er=desc&page=2 CMP site forum for parts.

Why do you think all these parts are available......except for the receiver?

(Elk County)

More details: It is apparently not a USGI model, it is a Universal, made after they started manufacturing their own parts. It has the metal vented handguard.
    Universals are hit or miss. The early ones tend to function fine. The later ones, especially those with two recoil springs, generally suck balls.

If it has a angles / slotted operating rod cam where the bolt lug is visible as this one is:

. . . run away fast.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Universals are hit or miss. The early ones tend to function fine. The later ones, especially those with two recoil springs, generally suck balls.

If it has a angles / slotted operating rod cam where the bolt lug is visible as this one is:

. . . run away fast.

Noah
    Hard to tell from the pictures, but I do believe I can see that notch... Son of a bitch.

Well I guess now I'm back to square 1 again.

All the cheap old battle rifles like the sks or the mosin have skyrocketed in price, and that's if you can find them. I'd be fine with a mosin if people didn't want friggin $400 for them.

IIRC , the Universal-made bolts were a problem. Solution was a genuine USGI 'round' bolt.

However , genuine USGI parts might , or might not fit , with or without modifications , to parts and/or receiver.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Northampton County)

Funny. I just bought all the springs for my Carbine earlier this year just after Sarco reopened their storefront. They didn*t have any of the sets at the time but I just picked through all the bins and built myself one and they gave me the price for the set instead of all the individual parts. Also picked up the flip type safety as I like it better.

Beware the new repros from Inland and Auto Ordnance. There were several reports of improper hardness in the bolts and receivers. There’s a long thread about it over at milsurps.com. You can look through this area to find the discussion.

https://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

I was considering one until I found a beater I could fix up on gunboards. I paid a bit much for it but it’s an original 1940’s manufacture.

Stuart.
    Last edited by flygrimm; September 26th, 2020 at 08:01 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123