Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: AKS-74U over gassing problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Weld metal to the rear of the bolt lugs, then dress them down to correct headspace. Calls for correct metal rod, heat-treating, et cetera. Probably makes it not worth it. Sell it to Hollywood as a prop gun.
    NEVER DO THAT. It only takes pressing the barrel in a touch and drilling to a larger pin. Worst case rebarrel which isn't too hard either.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by kahamlett View Post
    Finally got my go no go gages. Placed the no go in the chamber and gun went into battery. I believe I have solved the problem. Now I just need a gunsmith the rectify the issue. Thanks guys.
    I'm not so sure. Excessive headspace could contribute to case head separation, and could be the fundamental cause, but I have several rifles (mostly Enfields, and a Krag or two) that close on a No-Go gauge but do not close on a Field gauge, and have never experienced one case head separation in those rifles.

I do have experience with overgassed automatic and semi-automatic rifles ripping off case rims and case heads. What happens is the excessive gas causes higher than designed pressure on the gas piston, which increases the force on the piston and carrier, and increases the piston/carrier acceleration and velocity. This higher, sudden force on the extractor mostly manifests as a torn-off rim, but I've seen whole case heads removed as well.

Personally, I'd invest in a Field gauge. If the bolt closes on the Field gauge, then you should look into having the barrel set back and repinned. If the bolt does not close on a Field gauge, you might consider one of the adjustable gas blocks mentioned above.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Traffic cluster**** capitol, Pennsylvania
    (Schuylkill County)

Where did you buy the gauge? I*m trying to find the go/no go/field gauges to build the last of my AK*s.

My 5.45 SBR (AK-105 clone) got a ruptured case with the zinc coated Silver Bear. It headspaces just fine, my problem was the fire control group. Given that it has more than enough 922 compliance parts I was using a Chinese FCG as it was what I had laying around and it was super easy to make the gun bump fire. Unfortunately it would release the hammer before the bolt was locked in. Once I changed to a U.S. made FCG it shot slower, but the bolt has the time to lock in now.

When you tried the no go gauge, was the bolt stripped & recoil spring assembly removed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12