Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Looking for someone with expertise in 80% lower milling

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    I get what you are saying, but it doesn*t matter either way. Remember, even Forged Lowers are machined. Lowers are only Forged to the basic shape. I know what has been said over & over. Because people hear so & so say it so it must be fact, right? But this is a MYTH in metallurgy. The fact is strength, (ie.YIELD in aluminum), is the same between Forged & Billet components of the same material.
    While this is true in theory, forged parts are often functionally stronger than their billet counterparts. This is due to the fact that the metallic grain becomes aligned to the forging mold. The grain alignment helps a bit. That being said, for the purpose of this conversation, they're pretty damn equivalent.

You can make an analogy in barrels: CHF barrels are unequivocally better in terms of robustness and service life vs. button rifled counterparts. This, again, is because the grain structure aligns the the rifling "mold" during the forging process. While the age old question of "wIlL my BarElL shOot 10Mil rounds b4 LosS of AccUracy" is pretty hard to quantify due to the inherent costs, there is a reason why barrel houses can charge more for CHF vs. standard rifled barrels.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Delaware County)

A lot more MYTH right there. Listen to this sentence: *This, again, is because the grain structure aligns the the rifling "mold" during the forging process.* Now, explain what that means. Not for me....I know exactly what it means, and I explain why it*s wrong. Don*t get me wrong, It sounds great! I*m just wondering if you can please explain it.

The CHF barrel nonsense is also MYTH..like BIG TIME! The CHF barrel process started as a means to MASS PRODUCE barrels for The War. Plain & simple! Over the last decade or so, some very smart marketing started all this *BETTER, STRONGER, MORE ACCURATE....Runs faster, Jumps Higher* bull crap! And the AR15 LEMMINGS perpetuated it, as they do! A bunch of people with absolutely NO Metallurgical background have sustained this MYTH! I recommend studying Metallurgy, Alloying & Treatment for like two years... Then study it for a BUNCH more! Take care!
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    A lot more MYTH right there. Listen to this sentence: *This, again, is because the grain structure aligns the the rifling "mold" during the forging process.* Now, explain what that means. Not for me....I know exactly what it means, and I explain why it*s wrong. Don*t get me wrong, It sounds great! I*m just wondering if you can please explain it.

The CHF barrel nonsense is also MYTH..like BIG TIME! The CHF barrel process started as a means to MASS PRODUCE barrels for The War. Plain & simple! Over the last decade or so, some very smart marketing started all this *BETTER, STRONGER, MORE ACCURATE....Runs faster, Jumps Higher* bull crap! And the AR15 LEMMINGS perpetuated it, as they do! A bunch of people with absolutely NO Metallurgical background have sustained this MYTH! I recommend studying Metallurgy, Alloying & Treatment for like two years... Then study it for a BUNCH more! Take care!
    Please, enlighten me, oh wise one. Grain flow and alignment is a real phenomenon that has been well characterized. Aligning the crystalline structure of the grain with the intended use allows the forging to *act* more durable in that direction.

As a mechanical engineer and metallurgist, I'm afraid you are incorrect, sir. You're arguing with the wrong guy here. But don't take it from me. This is straight from CFS Forge.

"Effects of Grain Structure on Forging: [snip]...The important implication about grain flow is that some mechanical properties vary with respect to orientation relative to grain flow. This fact is one of the major advantages of forging. This variation in mechanical properties can be exploited so that the actual product has superior properties in a critical direction relative to those expected from the alloy composition itself.

However, we should be clear that not all of the mechanical properties will vary significantly with the grain flow. For example, strength and hardness are primarily controlled by the alloy chemistry and the heat treatment that is given to the forging. Grain flow will not have a major effect on the strength or the hardness of the alloy. In contrast, desirable properties associated with retarding crack propagation can see significant differences depending on the grain flow and the direction of the moving crack. So, properties like fatigue strength, impact toughness and ductility, which are measures of a material*s resistance to cracking (measured after fracture), can be significantly improved if the crack propagation direction and the grain flow are properly aligned. The optimum alignment occurs when the maximum principal stress (perpendicular to a potential crack or fracture) is aligned with the grain-flow lines."

http://www.dropforging.net/how-does-...structure.html

In summary, I agree that the inherent strength of the material is not affected. However, durability IS impacted and thus forged parts are more resilient to fatigue and wear.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Berks County)

Rolling and forging are different.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    As are rocking and rolling.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

Seeing people cut & paste from them *interwebs* is so cute. LOL! Guess I I chose *The wrong guy here*. You forgot to follow up with *You know who the F*** I am!?*

You: *In summary, I agree that the inherent strength of the material is not affected.* I disregard your overall condescending nature & I very quite glad you AGREE.

As for everything else, here*s what little I care of your plagiarized thoughts. Ba-bye!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Forging involves HEAT & Pressure. THATS IT!

And that*s all I*m going to say because simply is not worth my time. I suggest spending many years researching.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123