Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Thoughts on TC Compass II in .223/5.56

For a little while now I’ve been playing with the idea of getting a bolt gun in .223. I have a variety of guns (mostly milsurp, older hunting/custom) in different calibers and I don’t get out to shoot much. I figured if I had something newer, soft shooting, that I didn’t mind cleaning much and that shot relatively cheap ammo (this idea hatched way before the pandemic when wolf gold was $200-something/case) I’d be more willing to make the trek to the range more often thus getting to enjoy shooting more. I had seen a table selling scoped Mossberg Patriot packages at a gun show a year or two ago. I don’t really remember why I decided against it but with the TC rebate going on I’m seeing Compass II’s at attractive prices and I’m wondering if anyone with experience with these rifles, particularly in .223, can give their thoughts or experiences.

I also see they have a compact model with a 16” barrel as opposed to the 22”. The compact is sold out where I was looking but I’m wondering what the difference in shooting experience between the two may be. I’d be primarily shooting paper at 100 yards but I suppose there’s a small possibility I could try it for groundhogs at closer range (200-300) than I normally do. Scope packages I’m seeing are with Vortex Crossfire II or Diamondback Tactical. I’d prefer the Diamondback Tactical because I like exposed target turrets even if I’m generally fixed at 100 yards. They’d come in handy if I ever did try for groundhogs though. Barrel twist is 1:9 and while I’m no ballistics expert I thought that twist was generally for lighter bullets. I’m wondering what lighter or heavier bullets (mainly if I decided to reload) would do in that twist with the 16” vs 22” barrel. Thanks in advance for indulging my rambling.

Default Re: Thoughts on TC Compass II in .223/5.56

The TC bolt rifles are good for price point. Me personally, I'd get a Savage Axis II or Savage rifle over a TC just because you can upgrade Savage rifles and they are easy to work on. There is a decent amount of aftermarket support for Savage rifles. A bunch of TC bolt actions have been discontinued from TC, like the TC Dimension.

(Bucks County)

A few years ago, I bought a Tikka t3x in .223 to complement my ars. It is s smidge more accurate than the ars, with 1/2 moa using handloads. It is as much fun to shoot as a .22, with little more recoil. Easy to clean.

The scope is a leupold 4-10, forgot the specific model. Spendy, it was.

I’d suggest you look into reviews of the Tikka before you choose.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    A few years ago, I bought a Tikka t3x in .223 to complement my ars. It is s smidge more accurate than the ars, with 1/2 moa using handloads. It is as much fun to shoot as a .22, with little more recoil. Easy to clean.

The scope is a leupold 4-10, forgot the specific model. Spendy, it was.

I*d suggest you look into reviews of the Tikka before you choose.
    Thanks for to tips, guys. That*s kind of what I*m looking for, higher powered plinking fun. I*m not sure I care too much about aftermarket support. If it*s a decent shooter out of the box I don*t need to modify it. I don*t need a $1000 target rifle.

KY Gun Co was advertising the unscoped Compass II for $235 after rebate. They have three Vortex scope options and the Diamondback Tactical one is $422. I*ve seen the scope by itself for $250 so it seems like a good deal.