Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default .22lr pistol (budget) suggestions

With all this ammo craziness going on, I'm thinking about getting a pistol in .22lr(at least I can still find some of that and it's not 3-4X the "normal" price), but I don't really know what I want or what's any good. I see a lot of interesting looking .22lr clones of other guns, but are they any good? I have a Star BM, and I like 1911s anyway, which is why I have the Star in the first place, so naturally I was looking at the 1911 clones. I know I definitely don't want a Chiappa, but how's the Sig/GSG one? Or the Walther/Umarex one? The Browning is out, being scaled down and like 400 bucks. Anybody have any experience with these?

Or, if they're both complete junk, what do you suggest as an alternative on a really tight budget(sub $300) that's actually any good?

Default Re: .22lr pistol (budget) suggestions

I have heard people say the GSG clones run okay, if you have a 1911 look into getting one of the Kimber 22lr conversion kits which should be sub $300.00 (well they were once). If you look away from the 10 round platforms check out the Taurus TX22 17 round mags and appears to be a real winner in the category. If you can find one it should be around the $300.00 range. Last I checked they were $275 with two mags and a threaded barrel, and I regret not getting it.

There are also specific models of the Browning Buckmark that are sub $300.00 due to a rebate and they run well and are super accurate.

$269.00 after rebate.
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/browning-...l#.X2KsaYzYrGA
    Last edited by Hodgie; September 16th, 2020 at 08:41 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I have had a good experience with the M&P 22...Stay away from the Sig Mosquito. It is very picky with ammo

(Bucks County)

Look for a used Ruger Mark II. I prefer the target models with adjustable sights but get whatever you like. Pretty much bullet proof and they are very reliable. I remember bringing mine out on numerous occasions and shooting a brick in a few hours with some friends. If there was any stoppages it was the ammo's fault with a bad primer.

I don't like the Mark III with the silly loaded chamber warning on the side and never saw a point for their newest model with an "easier" takedown. Unless you breath thru your mouth and use crayons you can figure out how to instantly disassemble a Mark II (after the first time).

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Look for a used Ruger Mark II. I prefer the target models with adjustable sights but get whatever you like. Pretty much bullet proof and they are very reliable. I remember bringing mine out on numerous occasions and shooting a brick in a few hours with some friends. If there was any stoppages it was the ammo's fault with a bad primer.

I don't like the Mark III with the silly loaded chamber warning on the side and never saw a point for their newest model with an "easier" takedown. Unless you breath thru your mouth and use crayons you can figure out how to instantly disassemble a Mark II (after the first time).
    Pretty much this, go with one of the Ruger target pistols, or if you want super cheap go with a Ruger Wrangler.

(Northumberland County)

Ruger Mk1/2/3/4. Tough to beat for reliability and accuracy, run on cheap ammo and keep ticking after 1000s of rounds. 22/45 versions have a grop similar to a 1911, by design. Get the bull barrel if you can. Literally makes me look good with a handgun, and I'm usually nothing to brag about. Got mine used years ago for $250 and I've seen them dip as low as $200-225. Cabelas had the Browning Buckmark for around $220 new, after rebate before the shit hit the fan, no clue if they're still anywhere.

Skip the Walther P22 unless you wanna buy expensive 22LR. Wife's is finicky as shit with anything but CCI mini mags.

(Montgomery County)

The Sig/GSG 1911s leave a lot to be desired in the quality and accuracy department. A Ruger MK is going to be much better in fit&finish and accuracy. The M&P22 compact or Ruger SR22 are other fine choices.

(Berks County)

I just bought a .22 Heritage Rough Rider ...just because I could for 140.00 ...love it for plinking with my other .22 Rifles...can*t believe I haven*t owned a 22 pistol in 40plus years ...not practical but shit tons of fun ...now if I could only find some 22 ammo
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Bucks County)

Spend a little more and you'll be happier.

I just got a used Ruger mark iv 22/45 lite and took it out for the first time tonight. I thought i loved my mark iii hunter (okay, i still do) but this gun is just amazing.

I have also heard of good things about the Ruger sr22. Of course the buckmark is notorious.

One big reason to advocate for the mark series pistols is the "ultimate clip loader". I can load up 5 magazines and have them down range before the average person could get 2 magazines loaded by hand. Plus aftermarket support for the Ruger mark pistols is huge.

I'd recommend the mark iv for takedown and the lack of the jam inducing loaded chamber indicator (which you can remove). But i wouldn't be scared off by a Mark iii if the price was right.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Ruger Mk whatever.
    End of thread.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast