Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: .22lr pistol (budget) suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    With that said, if you want to make it easier for your wife to have quick success with hitting the target consistently, all of the "luger-esque" guns are better options. Much less recoil, easier to be accurate with a longer barrel.
    I'm well aware of that part, but I feel like recoil isn't much of an issue with .22lr anyway, and she should probably get used to it anyway. Aside from that, I was mainly looking at either something that's ambidextrous, or something similar to my 9mm.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    How is the ruger mark 4 tacticle version .22?
    I have three Ruger 22/45 MKIV's. 1st one purchased was the 5.5in , 2nd was the Lite , and the most recent is the TACTICAL. Although Tactical is only a month and a half old it's becoming my favorite of the three. Not to heavy, not to light. It seems to hit that sweet spot of being easy to shoot and control and is extremely accurate. My MKIV's all equally have eaten every brand and type of ammo that I've fed them flawlessly. Accuracy is simply spectacular on all three. Today I put 250 rds of Thunderbolts through my Lite without a single hitch, but no matter what ammo I feed it there's never a hitch on any of them.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I feed my Rugers fmj or jacked hollow point. No issues. Lead ammo is too dirty for me. If you are having a lot of issues, I'd contact Ruger with specifics of what you are using and pictures of the bent and dented cases. That isn't normal.

And you can pull the trigger again on a revolver, but the cylinder will keep spinning. Plus you'll still have to adjust the orientation of the cartridge since hitting the same bad spot on the rim will result in the same no bang. I sold a s&w 617 because the lead and powder building would cause the cylinder to bind against the forcing cone. I guess what I'm saying is, revolvers aren't without problems too.

-Zach
    i also have a ruger LCR 22lr and love that little revolver, with practice i am very accurate w that snubbie now and have added a green laser crimson trace grip for rapid or night draw & shoot (i dont use it when im range shooting, maybe just a few rounds to ensure its lined up). id say 1 out of 40 or so doesnt ignite first pull but coming back around via trigger pulls it will on second strike - so im ok w it, and its 8rds and very light.

must admit though that shooting the lcp2 22lr is literally my most fun 22lr at the moment, not sure why but its addictive - something about an accurate true pocket gun w 10+1 is really appealing. try one!

Quote Originally Posted by DerpSchnitzel View Post
    Aside from that, I was mainly looking at either something that's ambidextrous, or something similar to my 9mm.
    If you want a 9mm simulacrum...

Taurus TX22 - Mine eats everything. Just be sure to change out the guide rod assembly to one from Lakeline. Eliminates potential slide cracking issue.

S&W M&P 22 Pistol - My wife has one. Doesn't hold as many rounds as the Taurus and is picky about ammo. Prefers high velocity .22lr.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    S&W M&P 22 Pistol - My wife has one. Doesn't hold as many rounds as the Taurus and is picky about ammo. Prefers high velocity .22lr.
    I have one of these, shoots 40 grain blazer like a champ. No complaints
    -Brandon

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    If you want a 9mm simulacrum...

Taurus TX22 - Mine eats everything. Just be sure to change out the guide rod assembly to one from Lakeline. Eliminates potential slide cracking issue.

go check out nic taylor at taylor tactical... he has mag upgrades to get your s&w mp 22 to 18+1... and the compact up to 16+1

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    go check out nic taylor at taylor tactical... he has mag upgrades to get your s&w mp 22 to 18+1... and the compact up to 16+1
    Thanks for the heads-up. I'd rep ya, but the PTB say I have to spread some around first.

I looked at his stuff years ago. At the time he just had the 15 rnd upgrade and the follower wasn't the LRHO version. Looks like he's been busy the past few years. The 18 rnd upgrade is enticing, but it costs almost as much as a new mag, and it's twice the price of the 15 rnd upgrade. So I just bought the 15 rnd upgrade 5 pack. That gets the M&P close to the Taurus.

(Bucks County)

I don't understand having a 16 rd mag vs 10 rd mag is being such a big deal. I've owned a 16 rd 22 (TX22) and it didn't make shooting any more enjoyable in the least. When I purchased my 1st Ruger MKIV I purchased a two pack of extra mags, since then I've purchased two more MKIV's which now gives me 8 mags total of 80 rds. I can go through those 80 rds in 15 minutes if I want to. It takes me probably no more than 5 minutes to reload them all. I try my best to limit myself to reloading them no more that 3 times per range visit. There's not enough ammo available at this time and with the increased pricing of ammo I can't afford to shoot a brick of ammo every time I visit my range which is 3-4 times a week. Just don't see a benefit of throwing lead down range as fast and as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
    I don't understand having a 16 rd mag vs 10 rd mag is being such a big deal. I've owned a 16 rd 22 (TX22) and it didn't make shooting any more enjoyable in the least. When I purchased my 1st Ruger MKIV I purchased a two pack of extra mags, since then I've purchased two more MKIV's which now gives me 8 mags total of 80 rds. I can go through those 80 rds in 15 minutes if I want to. It takes me probably no more than 5 minutes to reload them all. I try my best to limit myself to reloading them no more that 3 times per range visit. There's not enough ammo available at this time and with the increased pricing of ammo I can't afford to shoot a brick of ammo every time I visit my range which is 3-4 times a week. Just don't see a benefit of throwing lead down range as fast and as much as possible.
    Slow fire shooting doesn’t appeal to everyone, there is a decent amount of people who run rim fire in different competitions like steel challenge where reloading burns the clock, and finally standing around reloading sucks so the less I have to do the better.

I should also add that there is a good percentage of casual firearm owners that do choose or would rely on a .22lr for self defense.

To each their own but like all other platforms and calibers higher capacity mags do have a place even in .22lr.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Slow fire shooting doesn*t appeal to everyone, there is a decent amount of people who run rim fire in different competitions like steel challenge where reloading burns the clock, and finally standing around reloading sucks so the less I have to do the better.

I should also add that there is a good percentage of casual firearm owners that do choose or would rely on a .22lr for self defense.

To each their own but like all other platforms and calibers higher capacity mags do have a place even in .22lr.
    Agreed. My 110 round 10/22 drum takes fucking forever to load, but it's a hell of a lot of fun trying to empty it as fast as I can.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast