Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: .22lr pistol (budget) suggestions

My son just purchased a used LNIB MKIV Lite for $349. Saw a used Ruger SR22 for $265 yesterday. I own both and they are as fantastic as Rugers customer service. I owned a Taurus TX22 lasted 5000 rds, spent more time at Taurus (3months) than with me. Horrible, horrible customer service. Could not get rid of that turd fast enough.
    The kel-Tec looks interesting, but it is mostly plastic, not sure how it will hold up under heavy use. As far as I'm concerned Ruger owns the 22 market and their customer service is 2nd to none.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
    My son just purchased a used LNIB MKIV Lite for $349. Saw a used Ruger SR22 for $265 yesterday. I own both and they are as fantastic as Rugers customer service. I owned a Taurus TX22 lasted 5000 rds, spent more time at Taurus (3months) than with me. Horrible, horrible customer service. Could not get rid of that turd fast enough.
    The kel-Tec looks interesting, but it is mostly plastic, not sure how it will hold up under heavy use. As far as I'm concerned Ruger owns the 22 market and their customer service is 2nd to none.
    Where were you shopping? I picked up a used mark iv lite at Tanner's. I paid more, but it came with extra magazines, tandemkross halo, and an older romeo 4 red dot.

I've taken it out to the range once now and it is excellent!

-Zach

(Cumberland County)

I'll add another vote for the S&W Victory. Eats everything, very accurate, relatively cheap (at least it was pre-COVID)

(Cumberland County)

I know it's not about looks, but those "luger-esque" .22s look hideous to me. I forgot to mention earlier this is also for teaching my wife to shoot, so it'll technically be her gun. She's also a lefty, so I'm thinking it's between the ruger SR22 and the Taurus TX22 at this point.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    I have had a good experience with the M&P 22...Stay away from the Sig Mosquito. It is very picky with ammo
    My Mosquito runs like a champ on all high velocity .22

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DerpSchnitzel View Post
    I know it's not about looks, but those "luger-esque" .22s look hideous to me. I forgot to mention earlier this is also for teaching my wife to shoot, so it'll technically be her gun. She's also a lefty, so I'm thinking it's between the ruger SR22 and the Taurus TX22 at this point.
    I had an SR22 for a bit and have a P17 now. Frankly, you'd be nuts to buy the ruger instead of the keltec. My SR22 jammed constantly and wasn't nearly as accurate. You also get a threaded barrel and 3 mags with the keltec. Mine has been flawless, even when I ran a box of thunderturds through it. I can't speak to the taurus but a quick search will reveal all you need to know about their customer service. If you get a good one, you'll be fine. If not... Good luck.
    With that said, if you want to make it easier for your wife to have quick success with hitting the target consistently, all of the "luger-esque" guns are better options. Much less recoil, easier to be accurate with a longer barrel.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I had an SR22 for a bit and have a P17 now. Frankly, you'd be nuts to buy the ruger instead of the keltec. My SR22 jammed constantly and wasn't nearly as accurate. You also get a threaded barrel and 3 mags with the keltec. Mine has been flawless, even when I ran a box of thunderturds through it. I can't speak to the taurus but a quick search will reveal all you need to know about their customer service. If you get a good one, you'll be fine. If not... Good luck.
    With that said, if you want to make it easier for your wife to have quick success with hitting the target consistently, all of the "luger-esque" guns are better options. Much less recoil, easier to be accurate with a longer barrel.
    I go to quite a few gunshops and I have never seen one of the kel-tecs out in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I go to quite a few gunshops and I have never seen one of the kel-tecs out in the wild.
    That’s because they make 6 a year and 4 of them are delivered to dealers already broken.

From my extensive experience dealing with Keltec in the past on the retail end I would take anything from Smith, Ruger just for the warranty, customer service, and repair dpt over Keltec.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    That*s because they make 6 a year and 4 of them are delivered to dealers already broken.

From my extensive experience dealing with Keltec in the past on the retail end I would take anything from Smith, Ruger just for the warranty, customer service, and repair dpt over Keltec.
    I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Kel-tec's warranty and customer service.

They probably have a lot more practice at it.

Ruger MKII Target will always get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I've heard nothing but rave reviews about Kel-tec's warranty and customer service.

They probably have a lot more practice at it.
    Yeah they are great about sending customers another defective gun over and over again.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast