Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Super Vel Ammo - both for handgun and rifle

Interested to hear thoughts on the not so long ago ressurected Super Vel's ammo. If I understand correctly, the goal is a lighter bullet at higher velocity. Haven't tried it myself yet. Currently for self defense ammo I have Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST. For .223, it looks like they make an solid-copper hollow point, which sounds interesting.

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Super Vel Ammo - both for handgun and rifle

This argument of lighter-faster has gone on forever. You have to see what the projectile does when it gets there. Think about it. Damage caused by a FMJ vrs. a hollow point or SP.
    A few years ago I had problems with certain .257 SP bullets opening up at closer ranges. They put a pencil hole through the lungs on a deer. After 100 yards they were fine. Shooters finally are realizing that bullet construction is everything. If you want serious velocity from a hand gun, try a 7.62x25

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Super Vel Ammo - both for handgun and rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    This argument of lighter-faster has gone on forever. You have to see what the projectile does when it gets there. Think about it. Damage caused by a FMJ vrs. a hollow point or SP.
    A few years ago I had problems with certain .257 SP bullets opening up at closer ranges. They put a pencil hole through the lungs on a deer. After 100 yards they were fine. Shooters finally are realizing that bullet construction is everything. If you want serious velocity from a hand gun, try a 7.62x25
    Sure. But find a decent gun that shoots it. Plus to my knowledge, the surplus is all gone.

-Zach