Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default S&W Model 10-9: How do I lighten the DA trigger pull?

My 74 year old widowed Mother has decided with all that is going in the world, she would like to have a nightstand gun in the house. I figured a revolver would work best for her, since she has shoulder and hand issues (some arthritis), and I am sure she can't manipulate a slide; plus, semi-autos tend to have a more involved manual-of-arms, and clearing malfunctions would be difficult. I recently found a S&W Model 10-9 (38 SPCL) with a 4" barrel for her, and she shot it for the first time yesterday.

She did well enough for the first time shooting a gun (except when she was a young girl and a neighbor let her shoot his pistol, probably 65 years ago). From 5 and 10 yards she put 46 of 48 rounds on paper, half within an 8" circle (most of the 5 yard shots in the circle). She has two issues though. The first we can't do much about except to keep practicing, and that is, because of her shoulder issues she can't straighten her arms fully with a grip on the pistol. She has to shoot with elbows bent down and the gun about 12-15" from her nose. Like a Granny.

The second problem is, she can't pull the trigger in DA mode. She got pretty good at thumbing the hammer back into SA mode with her support hand, but I would like to see her be able to pull the trigger in DA so she doesn't have to remember to cock the hammer in a stressful situation. I can't measure the DA pull, but it is pretty heavy. I suggested some ways to strengthen her grip and trigger finger, like the torsion spring type forearm exercise thingies, and filling an old spray bottle with water and squeezing the spray trigger over and over.

Apart from strengthening her hand, I would like to lighten the DA trigger pull. I see alot of gobbledy-gook on the internet about the strain screw, and the leaf spring, both with strong mixed opinions for and against. I am hoping to get a simple, quick answer from the Poofa gunsmithing brains about the best safe way to lighten the DA pull. Also, does lightening the DA pull affect the SA pull, and the reliability of ignition of primers? Thanks in advance.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: S&W Model 10-9: How do I lighten the DA trigger pull?

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    My 74 year old widowed Mother has decided with all that is going in the world, she would like to have a nightstand gun in the house. I figured a revolver would work best for her, since she has shoulder and hand issues (some arthritis), and I am sure she can't manipulate a slide; plus, semi-autos tend to have a more involved manual-of-arms, and clearing malfunctions would be difficult. I recently found a S&W Model 10-9 (38 SPCL) with a 4" barrel for her, and she shot it for the first time yesterday.

She did well enough for the first time shooting a gun (except when she was a young girl and a neighbor let her shoot his pistol, probably 65 years ago). From 5 and 10 yards she put 46 of 48 rounds on paper, half within an 8" circle (most of the 5 yard shots in the circle). She has two issues though. The first we can't do much about except to keep practicing, and that is, because of her shoulder issues she can't straighten her arms fully with a grip on the pistol. She has to shoot with elbows bent down and the gun about 12-15" from her nose. Like a Granny.

The second problem is, she can't pull the trigger in DA mode. She got pretty good at thumbing the hammer back into SA mode with her support hand, but I would like to see her be able to pull the trigger in DA so she doesn't have to remember to cock the hammer in a stressful situation. I can't measure the DA pull, but it is pretty heavy. I suggested some ways to strengthen her grip and trigger finger, like the torsion spring type forearm exercise thingies, and filling an old spray bottle with water and squeezing the spray trigger over and over.

Apart from strengthening her hand, I would like to lighten the DA trigger pull. I see alot of gobbledy-gook on the internet about the strain screw, and the leaf spring, both with strong mixed opinions for and against. I am hoping to get a simple, quick answer from the Poofa gunsmithing brains about the best safe way to lighten the DA pull. Also, does lightening the DA pull affect the SA pull, and the reliability of ignition of primers? Thanks in advance.
    You do not want to loosen the leaf spring. Exactly for the reasons you mentioned, you reduce reliable ignition of the primers.

I presume that this revolver will have a rebound slide in it. You want to put a reduced power rebound spring in it. While you are in there, polish the surface of the rebound slide. This will reduce the pull.

The rebound slide and spring also have a little ball in it. Don't lose it. They sell a special tool to remove the rebound slide. It is definitely helpful. But you can bubba it with a screwdriver. Just remove it all in a plastic bag so when the parts get launched, you don't have to hunt for them.

-Zach

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the video. It shows the lighter rebound spring, and also a new leaf spring. Do you advise leaving the factory leaf spring in? Or changing the spring and testing reliability?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the video. It shows the lighter rebound spring, and also a new leaf spring. Do you advise leaving the factory leaf spring in? Or changing the spring and testing reliability?
    I never saw the need for a new leaf spring. But i don't think they are particularly expensive.

And if you are going to as light as possible, save yourself the extra cost of the kit and just put the lightest rebound spring in. Be advised that when the springs get real light, they drag on the frame a little. That is why you want to polish it. Otherwise, the revolver might not reset. This might not be a problem if the gun was fired a lot and already polished itself over years of shooting.

-Zach

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I never saw the need for a new leaf spring. But i don't think they are particularly expensive.

And if you are going to as light as possible, save yourself the extra cost of the kit and just put the lightest rebound spring in. Be advised that when the springs get real light, they drag on the frame a little. That is why you want to polish it. Otherwise, the revolver might not reset. This might not be a problem if the gun was fired a lot and already polished itself over years of shooting.

-Zach
    Thanks, I may pick up a set with the leaf spring and try it with both springs changed. The revolver seems like it has not been shot much, so maybe polishing is in order too.

(Bucks County)

Thanks, I may pick up a set with the leaf spring and try it with both springs changed. The revolver seems like it has not been shot much, so maybe polishing is in order too.
    Have you ever taken apart a s&w before?

If not, to get the side cover off, remove the grips and all of the side cover screws. Then remove the crane and cylinder. Take the wooden part of a hammer and hit the lowest part of the grip with it. It'll just pop off. It is much easier to get back on.

It won't be able to function without the cylinder in it. But you can return the cylinder and crane without putting the cover back on to check your work and see which surfaces rub.

Naturally, be careful as everything is under tension.

-Zach

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Have you ever taken apart a s&w before?

If not, to get the side cover off, remove the grips and all of the side cover screws. Then remove the crane and cylinder. Take the wooden part of a hammer and hit the lowest part of the grip with it. It'll just pop off. It is much easier to get back on.

It won't be able to function without the cylinder in it. But you can return the cylinder and crane without putting the cover back on to check your work and see which surfaces rub.

Naturally, be careful as everything is under tension.

-Zach
    I haven't, but I am mechanically inclined. I did see how the side cover came off with a few whacks with the wooden hammer handle, and I did read how to do it without prying. I will certainly watch some in-depth videos before attempting this. Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

(Bucks County)

If you plan on doing a lot of s&w work, this book is excellent:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101636706

-Zach

(Bucks County)

One more video. I don't know if that is an isolated incident with the wolf spring. Just be thorough with your range testing afterward.

-Zach

(Dauphin County)

I bought the Wilson Combat spring kit with 12, 13, & 14# rebound springs and the leaf spring, but only replaced the factory rebound spring with the 13# Wilson Combat spring. I did not do any polishing on the frame or the spring housing, everything seemed very smooth already, and I didn't want to remove any blueing, even on the inside. I could immediately tell the trigger pull was significantly lighter, but I don't have a trigger pull scale to measure it. I went to the range yesterday with my Mom, and she could also tell it was much lighter. She could pull the trigger with a one-handed grip just fine. Success!

Thanks again, Zachomega.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast