Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Heritage rough rider cylinder lock up issue

Picked up a 4” 6 shot rough rider recently to plink and squirrel hunt with (because, well, 12ga is just so hard to use for squirrel :facepalm: ). Having some minor issues with it and wondering if anyone else has run into this...I’m not a revolver guy, have shot them but this is pretty much the first one I’ve owned that I actually bought with a purpose in mind.

Yes, I’m aware it’s a cheap gun. That was the point. It’s gonna get abused...pot metal pistols 🤣

22lr cylinder works perfectly fine, no issues.

The problem lies with the 22 WMR cylinder. Sometimes after 3-4 rounds it locks up and won’t advance the cylinder. Almost like a case is hanging up. So far it’s happened mainly with CCI Maxi Mags and I noticed 3-4 of them had cases split/ruptured at the strike point. Switched to Aguila rounds and same thing but not as bad. Maybe 1-2 faults. It only seems to happen until things “warm up” after a few cylinders run thru it. I’ve made sure that the rounds are seating fully and after I run 1-2 through the cylinder it’s almost like I’m kicking the rounds out and causing the jam due to recoil.

Any ideas? Maybe I’m limp wristing? Bad/old ammo?

Inspection of the cylinder looks ok. No burrs, timing seems ok. I did file down a small burr at the loading gate As well as a lip inside the top of the cylinder (casting remnants).
    Last edited by Woodwanderer; September 14th, 2020 at 09:18 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Heritage rough rider cylinder lock up issue

Heating up and expanding is my guess

Gets a bit better when it heats up though...which is what throws me off

(Bucks County)

I have a Heritage .22/.22WM. The cylinder-to-frame and cylinder-to-forcing cone dimensions are very generous, to put it kindly.

When the cylinder locks up, take a look at the shell you just fired. It is probably backed out of the chamber and jammed against the recoil shield. Slip a knife blade behind it and lever it forward. If heat lessens the problem, the chambers are growing a couple tenths (.0002) in internal diameter allowing the fired brass to float.

Try different ammo. The different bullet design and lube on its surface might make a difference.

Persevere for a bit hoping to break it in. Polishing the chambers might help. If all fails, I guess it's the hated return to manufacturer for correction.

On second thought, split cases is unacceptable. The gun should not be fired. Contact Heritage.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Thanks Bang. I’m going to take it to the range this week and see if filing down the burrs/ledges made any difference, song with blue loctite and retightening on all the screws. I did end up digging some brass/powder/what have you out of my left index finger though from the 2 range trips I’ve made with it so if that happens again I’ll scrap the thing or throw it in the trunk of the car for worst case scenario.

Really don’t want to ship back to heritage/Taurus at this point...not sure it’s really worth it tbh. It’s splitting cases at the rim, rest of the case is ok. If it happens again I’ll try and grab a pic. This is my first 22mag, so I’m not sure what to expect... I think you are correct though, it does seem like the brass is floating out of the cylinder when it fires. There have been a couple that wouldn’t come out of the cylinder without using the table edge to force the ejector rod.

It’s really a shame, it’s a damn accurate pistol at 10-15 yards once you adjust the vent front sight And figure out the pattern hold on it

In the pistols defense also, I did take to the range without a detailed first time out of the box cleaning and lube job. All I really did was run a couple patches thru it with cleaner and lube til they came out clean. After league match on Sunday though, and filing/loctite I stripped it down completely and hit everything with cleaner and lube.

Took to range today after cleaning things up last weekend. 50 rounds of Cci maxi mag HP with no Noticeable issues. 36 rounds of Aguila silver eagle and this happened (2-3 other cases sprayed a bit also). 3rd round of my last cylinder. Completely wrapped itself around the cog and locked the cylinder this time, disassembly was required. Still only having issues with the magnum cylinder. Put 100+ 22lr thru with zero issues.

Note: that is my trigger finger and yes those are powder burns also. There’s about 4 spots on my support hand that got sprayed. Still digging powder and lead out of my hands. Real kicker is this happened 8” from my face from a rest and I felt the splash on the cheeks.

Calling to bitch at heritage tomorrow and demand my money back. For what I paid I’ll be going to buy a Ruger wrangler with whatever I can get out of this (or a replacement one that goes up for sale immediately). I don’t trust this gun or anything from heritage/Taurus anymore.

(Bucks County)

WOW! The gaps fore and aft must be astronomical, plus the cylinder is probably sliding. I don't know if Taurus is actually making these Heritages, but I'm thinking there are guns out there having the same potential to injure and there should be a recall on any with axial play or unacceptable gaps.

ETA: Interesting discussions dating back to 2011:

https://www.google.com/search?q=heri...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by Bang; September 25th, 2020 at 12:35 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    WOW! The gaps fore and aft must be astronomical, plus the cylinder is probably sliding. I don't know if Taurus is actually making these Heritages, but I'm thinking there are guns out there having the same potential to injure and there should be a recall on any with axial play or unacceptable gaps.

ETA: Interesting discussions dating back to 2011:

https://www.google.com/search?q=heri...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Yup...it’s gonna go back, if I can ever get in touch with them. Every call so far to their customer service department has yielded no luck. Either not open or phones are broken due to technical difficulties.

Now that you mention it about the cylinder sliding, for shits and googles I watched everything as it was moving and I cycled it and it does look like it’s sliding on the cylinder rod. I can watch the cylinder rod rotate when the mag cylinder is in. It doesn’t do it with the 22 Long rifle cylinder so I wonder if it is a timing issue.

Pretty sure they are owned by Taurus and I wouldn’t be surprised if they manufacture them too now...at the very least they share an address with them 🤷🏼*♂️

(Bucks County)

If it is a timing issue there should be lead shavings in front of the cylinder before the forcing cone. If you see any excessive splatters or grey marks it is timing.

My only other guess is that it is a headspace issue. Put the .22LR cylinder on and put a round in it (outside and be careful!). Use a spark plug feeler gauge and see how much space there is behind the cartridge and the rear of the frame. Then try the same with the mag cylinder. I have no clue what the spec clearance should be but my guess is they should be close if not the same. If the clearance is larger you will need to do some research on what it should be.

Whatever you find this pistol needs to go back for repair. This would just be for your info and maybe to help them troubleshoot.

I’ll have to take a few pics of the cylinders and post them. You may be on to something. There looks to be some leading on the front face of them after shooting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast