Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Heritage rough rider cylinder lock up issue

I’ve run aguila silver Eagle (which was what blew up in my face), cci maxi mags, Remington, federal, Winchester, all in 22mag. They all did the same thing and blew cases. The aguila ran the best out of all of them, until that case blew up in my face.

All of them still ended up with me digging lead out of my hands as well

Something else I’ve noticed also with 22mag is that I tend to get a lot of unburnt powder grains collecting in the cylinder after firing. Makes me lean towards a timing/tolerance issue.

(Bucks County)

When a .22 rimfire blows out at the rim, it's because that section is unsupported (surrounded) by the chamber while the pressure is still high. That can happen if the case head-to-recoil shield gap is too large. Firing pin drives the entire cartridge forward and fully chambers the round initially. The cartridge fires, the crimp slightly delays bullet movement, bullet moves forward, equal and opposite actions take place and if there isn't enough pressure to lock the case against the chamber wall to keep it in place (or the chamber wall is too far away), the case moves rearward and contacts the recoil shield. If the gap is too large, the case moves back to the point where case wall is exposed, and blows out. It might be that a .22LR in a revolver may not develop enough pressure or maintain the pressure long enough, to expand the case enough to get a purchase on the chamber wall, and reliance on the recoil shield is the norm. If so, that gap tolerance is even more critical.

In the days when kitchen gunsmiths improved the 1911, some didn't understand that reshaping the feed ramp on a ramped barrel exposed the case wall ahead of the case web, leaving it poorly supported. When it blew out, it blew downward through the rounds stacked in the magazine, making for interesting surprises.

I got my magnum cylinder with the $30 coupon and had the same thought. S&W would say they need to fit a cylinder to the gun.
    I chalked it up to the accuracy of CNC machining invoking confidence in the product. Duhh....

These Heritage Rough Rider sixguns have proved themselves dangerous and it's interesting there has not been a concerted effort to remedy, either by consumers or the company.
    Last edited by Bang; November 26th, 2020 at 04:30 PM.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Just to add more of my $.02.....was out last weekend with a buddy and played with the rough rider in both 22LR and 22WMR again. I shot 100 aguila "super extra" 22LR rounds and 18 CCI maxi mag hollow point 22WMR rounds

No issues at all.

My buddy has the same gun (just the 22LR) as does his son....no issues at all like what is being discussed.....

Like any other product I guess there could be some bad ones out there....

Other than the Remington viper 22LR jamming up, loving mine so far....

If it hasn't been mentioned already.... The timing has to me off to blow a case out the back. The pressure is trying to go somewhere, since the bullet couldn't go forward. That's why you are picking lead out of your hands. Some lead went down the barrel and some out the cylinder gap. Find a .22 diameter rod and carefully place it down the bore. I suspect one or more places on the cylinder face will hang up.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Revolver manufacturers should be required to supply a range rod for safety, instead of that ridiculous pos lock that just teaches kids how to pick it open.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123