Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Heritage rough rider cylinder lock up issue

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Try different ammo. The different bullet design and lube on its surface might make a difference.
    So I found this thread while searchin for posts about jamming Heritage pistols.

After fireing a friends rough rider 6" I fell in love and bought (that day) a 4.75".....

My first trip to the range was mixed.....

Ran 18 22Mags thru it and WOW>...loved it.

Then started running some 22LRs (remington Viper) thru it and jamming every other round....

Was worried it was the pistol....and it bummed me out big time.....but....

Took it out today with the same friend and some new ammo to try. This time I had some Aguila and he had some Amcor......

NEITHER of those jammed ....not even once......I ran 6 pf the AMSCOR and about 50+ of the aguila....NO ISSUES.

Then I ran some of the viper.....FIRST SHOT JAMMED. Switched back to Aguila...no issues.....back to viper...JAM.

Then my friend tried the viper rounds in his 6".....JAMMED.

So in MY case its the ammo....

We looked closely and the Viper ammo is bulging (after being fired) at the top right under the rim/head. And that bumps it up just enough from the port in the cylinder to jam when it advances.

Here are some pictures we took.

The red circle is the two fired rounds...first one fired and sort of got tight, second one jammed.

The bulge can be seen on the LEFT spent case.....compared to an unfired Remington Viper. Cheap brass maybe?

rem viper 22LR mushroomed head.JPGrem viper 22LR after fire 2 on right in cylinder.JPG
    Last edited by shadango; November 20th, 2020 at 07:58 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by shadango View Post
    So I found this thread while searchin for posts about jamming Heritage pistols.

After fireing a friends rough rider 6" I fell in love and bought (that day) a 4.75".....

My first trip to the range was mixed.....

Ran 18 22Mags thru it and WOW>...loved it.

Then started running some 22LRs (remington Viper) thru it and jamming every other round....

Was worried it was the pistol....and it bummed me out big time.....but....

Took it out today with the same friend and some new ammo to try. This time I had some Aguila and he had some Amcor......

NEITHER of those jammed ....not even once......I ran 6 pf the AMSCOR and about 50+ of the aguila....NO ISSUES.

Then I ran some of the viper.....FIRST SHOT JAMMED. Switched back to Aguila...no issues.....back to viper...JAM.

Then my friend tried the viper rounds in his 6".....JAMMED.

So in MY case its the ammo....

We looked closely and the Viper ammo is bulging (after being fired) at the top right under the rim/head. And that bumps it up just enough from the port in the cylinder to jam when it advances.

I will post some pictures we took.
    Welcome to the forum.

I think the Viper 22 lr has a longer overall length than most 22lr ammo. I think they are the same length as cci stingers.

I haven’t shot this since the 22wmr case blew up in my face. I seriously don’t trust it and it makes a better club than it does a pistol. It’s been sitting in my safe collecting dust until I can actually get ahold of someone at heritage to warranty return it. Half the time their phones are out of order, rest of the time it goes to voicemail and I don’t get a call back.

May just pawn this off at a gun shop At a loss and put the money into a Ruger single action...

FWIW, dicks sporting goods in hazelton has a ton of these rough riders in stock for $129 right now

Also, FWIW (and I wish I’d have known this when I bought mine): if you buy the standard 22lr only model, in the box is a card that you can send in and get a 22wmr cylinder for ~$30. Had I known I wouldn’t have spent $280 on this (full msrp). Cest la vie I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I think the Viper 22 lr has a longer overall length than most 22lr ammo. I think they are the same length as cci stingers.
    I compared the Aguila "super extra" 22LR rounds (left in pic) that fire great thru the gun and the Remington Viper 22LR round that jams (right in pic).....

Look the same to me.....?

aguila 22LR v rem viper 22LR web.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    I haven’t shot this since the 22wmr case blew up in my face. I seriously don’t trust it and it makes a better club than it does a pistol. It’s been sitting in my safe collecting dust until I can actually get ahold of someone at heritage to warranty return it. Half the time their phones are out of order, rest of the time it goes to voicemail and I don’t get a call back.
    I would be freaked out too....have you tried different? The WMR rounds I have (Hornady Vmax 30gr) fire GREAT....have run 30 of them thru and they shot perfect.

Sucks to hear that the Heritage folks are slow to respond.....I just had my wife's Ruger LCP2 at the factory.....the ejector "disappeared" last time she shot it.....they replaced the whole slide and barrel......got back to me FAST at the beginning, and got the gun back to us fast....6 days total round trip.

May just pawn this off at a gun shop At a loss and put the money into a Ruger single action...
    If you do, please tell them about the issue.......if someone else gets the gun and gets seriously hurt somehow due to this, that would suck worse.

I think when it comes to firearms, we are stewards.....someone will have our guns after we have them , and since they can easily kill or maim, it is our duty to take care of the problem if we find one......not preaching, just saying think about if it was your kid who got your gun after you without knowing.....

FWIW, dicks sporting goods in hazelton has a ton of these rough riders in stock for $129 right now

Also, FWIW (and I wish I’d have known this when I bought mine): if you buy the standard 22lr only model, in the box is a card that you can send in and get a 22wmr cylinder for ~$30. Had I known I wouldn’t have spent $280 on this (full msrp). Cest la vie I suppose
    I bought mine at Dunhams in my neck of the woods.....the cocobolo heavy grain grips and both cylinders....they said list was $219, their reg price was $199......and I got it on sale for $175

I didnt see a coupon in my box -- of course it had both cylinders.....I agree....could have saved a few more bucks that way.

But then the only ones that had the grips I fell in love with came with both cylinders. And I also wanted the 4.75" rather than the 6". My grip is pictured below.

I just got a text from RK GUNS that they have the Ruger Wranglers on sale for $179cocobolo grips web.JPG

I bought one of these in the summer of 2019 with both cylinders from PSA for $120 and it’s been a POS from day one. It’s so bad that shooting a 3 zone target from 5 yards might get you one hit out of 6 and that hit will be about 10” off from your point of aim. Yeah I know there are some good ones out there but I can only go by my experience and mine sucks hard.

I bought it for my 8 year old son to learn to shoot pistol on but that would just cause sheer frustration in a child. I’ve had other shooters give it a go who have experience with single action revolvers and same issues. I shot a Ruger bearcat and that belongs to a neighbor. Close in size and shape to my RR and it’s a fine piece that shoots great.

I would call heritage but they don’t pay return shipping either way for repairs so to drop another $60-$70 on a $120 POS isn’t worth it to me. I still believe that budget Guns can be good but they have to come from a large manufacture like Ruger or Smith who are going to back them up with the same service as their higher end products.

Just my .02

(Bucks County)

I find it disturbing that with the loose tolerances on these pistols Heritage just sends you a 22 mag cylinder without even checking to see if it fits the frame. But apparently they don't check for fit at the factory either.

If you decide to sell the gun I would just throw away the 22 mag cylinder. The pistol is functions and is safe as a .22LR and that is how you should sell it.

Looking at the face of both cylinders, there’s heavy lead fouling on both 22lr and 22wmr faces. Which makes me think this is a combination of timing and tolerance issues.

I haven’t had any issues with 22lr in it, only 22wmr. Different ammo makes it a bit better, until things start getting hot after a few cylinders of mag ammo.,,

Regardless I still don’t trust shooting it. It’s only good out to about 10-15 yards anyhow, and past 5 yards it shoots 12” groups. Even after tweaking the front sight (that at least got me on paper at 5 yards lol)

I should have bought the Ruger for $179 instead and put the other $100 into more ammo. Realistically I don’t need 22wmr in a pistol, given the ballistics suck coming from a short barrel.

Good to know they won’t pay for shipping either way. It’ll sit in the safe then until I either blow it up or melt it down. Or it becomes a last resort GO bag gun. I’m not dropping another $70 to ship this back for repair

Looking at the face of both cylinders, there’s heavy lead fouling on both 22lr and 22wmr faces. Which makes me think this is a combination of timing and tolerance issues.

I haven’t had any issues with 22lr in it, only 22wmr. Different ammo makes it a bit better, until things start getting hot after a few cylinders of mag ammo.,,

Regardless I still don’t trust shooting it. It’s only good out to about 10-15 yards anyhow, and past 5 yards it shoots 12” groups. Even after tweaking the front sight (that at least got me on paper at 5 yards lol)

I should have bought the Ruger for $179 instead and put the other $100 into more ammo. Realistically I don’t need 22wmr in a pistol, given the ballistics suck coming from a short barrel.

Good to know they won’t pay for shipping either way. It’ll sit in the safe then until I either blow it up or melt it down. Or it becomes a last resort GO bag gun. I’m not dropping another $70 to ship this back for repair
    Not sure you will find a better experience with Ruger either......as far as issues (great support though).

I just got my wife's LCP2 back from them after the extractor, pin and spring all disappeared one day at the range.

Turns out MANY people are having the issue. Quality control?

Again, my buddy and I both shot our Heritage 22LR and 22MAG Friday....no issues at ALL except when using the ONE ammo.

We shot at 25 feet and had tight enough groupings for it to be fun...not 12" like you said you are having....I still wonder if its not your ammo.

The ammo we used -- Hornady VMAX 22mag and Aguila "22 super extra" and we had good luck. The remington Viper 22LR, LOCKS EVERY TIME. No idea what the diff would be. My bro-in-laws LCP 22 jams constantly on one brand of ammo (not sure what it is) but is fine with others he has tried....It stinks that with ANY gun you might have issues with ammo......I am just saying that maybe its not 100% the gun.

Hopefully going to shoot some more 22LR and what I have left of the MAG today and report back if any issues.....crossing fingers.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by shadango View Post
    I compared the Aguila "super extra" 22LR rounds (left in pic) that fire great thru the gun and the Remington Viper 22LR round that jams (right in pic).....

Look the same to me.....?

aguila 22LR v rem viper 22LR web.JPG
    The rim looks thicker. Not saying it's the issue, just noticing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast