Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: 8 or 9 shot 22 Mag revolver in Da/Sa?

My dad carries the taurus in 22mag. He got it when his arthritis got too bad for his 38 snubby to not punish him. He likes it. The trigger sucks IMHO, even when compared to other Taurus revolvers I have. A rimfire is always going to have heavier trigger do to the spring weight needed for rimfire ammo. They're hard to find, have you considered a 32 mag or 327. You can practice with powderpuff 32 short or long and then carry the magnums. The regular 33 ammo doesn't kick anymore than a 22 mag and you'll get a better trigger. Still only get 6 in the cylinder though. Ruger, S&W, and Charter all make snubbies in the 32's and charter even has a 3" version called the professional that is designed with ccw in mind.

Bonus, you can still find 32 ammo in stock.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    This one looks good too with 3" barrel and adjustable rear sight

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/201633
    LCRX is definitely in consideration, I just wish the 22 mag version carried more than 6. I dont see why they made the 22lr carry 8, but magnum is only 6. With the caliber, really like to have a few extra shots.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Read the thread title Fella.

Taurus 942 just came out a few months ago. DA/SA in different barrel lengths, in blued or stainless.

I'd imagine them being released in the middle of Corona hysteria, they might be hard to find.
    Thanks! I might be over thinking this...the 942 really is textbook what I am after, all around. I wish they had a little more history behind them, especially being a Taurus. But otherwise meet the needs exactly. I'll have to keep looking at those.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You can get a Ruger GP100 .22LR with a 10 shot cylinder (if you can find one ).
    Actually didnt know that, but too big for carry use/in same vein as the S&W 648.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    The Bunker in Warminster has had one for a while now. It was there two weeks ago. $649 is the asking price. Spicy IMO, but not off from other offerings. But the OP wants a .22 Mag.

OP - Personally, I'd never carry a rimfire for self defense. Rimfire ammo just isn't reliable enough. If your wife is recoil shy, try a .38 special with cowboy loads. You won't get much softer than that in a centerfire cartridge without going to a .25 cal semi-auto.
    Thanks, we're definitely working that direction but not there yet. I dont see a lot of reason for her to go with a .25 or .32 given the ballistics, and she's not willing to use anything bigger (yet). My rational on DA revolver is that in the event of a misfire, she keeps pulling the trigger. Found out recently that Speer makes a Gold Dot 22 Mag, so thinking that's a viable load. The alternative is pepper spray...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    And I posted a video of the .22LR version.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/r...e-stainless-3/

Not many actual sightings of the .22 mag version yet, but I did find one extremely detailed and comprehensive review.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    My dad carries the taurus in 22mag. He got it when his arthritis got too bad for his 38 snubby to not punish him. He likes it. The trigger sucks IMHO, even when compared to other Taurus revolvers I have. A rimfire is always going to have heavier trigger do to the spring weight needed for rimfire ammo. They're hard to find, have you considered a 32 mag or 327. You can practice with powderpuff 32 short or long and then carry the magnums. The regular 33 ammo doesn't kick anymore than a 22 mag and you'll get a better trigger. Still only get 6 in the cylinder though. Ruger, S&W, and Charter all make snubbies in the 32's and charter even has a 3" version called the professional that is designed with ccw in mind.

Bonus, you can still find 32 ammo in stock.
    Thanks for heads up on triggers...good watchout. I havent looked at 32s much, mostly out of ignorance and not being able to offer her one to try (without buying), since no one I know has one. Last time I shot one was a decade ago and was an old school H&R in either short or long (I forget which). With her aversion to recoil, I figured I'd skip the caliber and go to 22mag, knowing it works/would get used. Also the finding ammo thing.

(Mercer County)

(Philadelphia County)

>Taurus

Just no.

High Standard made a few decent .22 Mag DA/SA revolvers back in the day, but you'll have to prowl around on the used market for one.

Quote Originally Posted by borekfk View Post
    >Taurus

Just no.

High Standard made a few decent .22 Mag DA/SA revolvers back in the day, but you'll have to prowl around on the used market for one.
    I have a High Standard Sentinel in .22lr that holds 9 rounds. Great revolver, but it has a really heavy trigger pull. They made a .22 mag version, but like you said, they're hard to come by.

Another option would be the Standard Manufacturing Thunderstruck. It holds 8 rounds of .22 mag, but fires two rounds at a time.

(Philadelphia County)

I have a High Standard Sentinel in .22lr that holds 9 rounds. Great revolver, but it has a really heavy trigger pull. They made a .22 mag version, but like you said, they're hard to come by.

Another option would be the Standard Manufacturing Thunderstruck. It holds 8 rounds of .22 mag, but fires two rounds at a time.

God that Thunderstruck revolver looks like something out of a sci-fi show.

+1

Friends don’t let friends buy Taurus...same applies for spouses, unless you really don’t like your spouse (it’s cheaper than divorce?)

OP, have you considered graduating away from revolver? More options for 22mag in semi auto and I’d bet easier to find...

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
    Everything I'm seeing on Charter Arms is that they're only 6 rounds also, despite what the link says (further down the page also says 6).

Quote Originally Posted by borekfk View Post
    >Taurus

Just no.

In spite of the crap they get (and deserve, in some cases), I've had nothing but good luck with Taurus. No fan boy by any means and would need to vet it, but not necessarily opposed. High Standard would be an option if I can find one I like, but DA/SA in 22 mag won't be easy from what I've seen.

Likewise on the High Standard, its an option if I can find one in the right configuration. The Thunderstruck I cant wrap my head around. It does meet the needs in a way, but not sure i can bring myself to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    +1

Friends don’t let friends buy Taurus...same applies for spouses, unless you really don’t like your spouse (it’s cheaper than divorce?)

OP, have you considered graduating away from revolver? More options for 22mag in semi auto and I’d bet easier to find...
    Not opposed to Taurus, if it's got some history/been vetted. In spite of the reputation, mine have been nothing but good to me. Semi is technically an option, but not sure that much is out there in 22 mag except Keltec. In 22lr, we already have that covered. But I'd prefer a revolver so there's less guesswork if it doesnt fire or doesnt cycle the slide.

Thanks all for the input. Looks like I got some options to look at. The S&W 351PD is pretty much tops all around, but not sure I wanna drop $700 on a rimfire that will hopefully be outgrown in a little bit. LCRx is on the table, but lacking in 22 mag capacity. High Standard and H&R are in the mix. Taurus 942 is there on everything except being a Taurus and new to market. And most of them are out of stock most places, so looks like this might be a waiting game/require some LGS visits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast