Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Anyone been to any gun auctions lately

I’ve been missing my gun shows lately and have started thinking about trying out some gun auctions. I’ve always been interested to be honest but for one reason or another never got around to checking any out. The closest ones I can find seem to be around 1.5 hours from me. I don’t mind taking the drive and having something to do but I’m wondering if anyone has been to any recently and can tell me what I can expect. Are they packed full, elbow to elbow, with slobs breathing all over you or do they space seating out, or maybe even limit seating to where you might not be able to get in? Are prices “reasonable” or nuts considering the current buying climate? I’m mainly interested in C&R milsurp type stuff and not so much modern stuff or ammo. One of the places I was reading about seems you can’t bring your purchases home that day. You have to go back within X number of days to get it or have it shipped. Is that standard practice? Kind of sucks to have to drive 3 hours round trip for the auction and then do it again a few days later to pick up. Thanks for any insight you may have.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone been to any gun auctions lately

Alderfer's is online only.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Mifflin County)

I attended two auctions last week . Here is what I saw , super high prices right now . A few examples ,A high point carbine 45 acp Used and dirty $850. As far as ammo. How about 9mm 50rd boxes going for $68 a box !!! Now before covid. , riots etc I was buying some older used guns at what I call bargain prices ,Example , a truly new in box 12ga. h&r single shot for $100 bucks. At the auction Sat. there was a H&r model 158 16 ga. that was rough , rusty filthy dirty , brought $350 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Alderfer's is online only.
    Don't forget , they charge 20% cash/23% plastic buyers fee + $5-10 PICS & paperwork + 6% PA sales tax. If you buy a firearm and do not have an FFL , you must also purchase a trigger lock for $10.

$100 hammer bid ends up $130 OTD $500 = $652

Or at least that's how it worked last time I went.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Don't forget , they charge 20% cash/23% plastic buyers fee + $5-10 PICS & paperwork + 6% PA sales tax. If you buy a firearm and do not have an FFL , you must also purchase a trigger lock for $10.

$100 hammer bid ends up $130 OTD $500 = $652

Or at least that's how it worked last time I went.
    Yeah, the buyer's fee is advertised and I saw that but they got me with sales tax but I ended up with 800 7.62@$.60/ea about four months ago. In the end it turned out to be a good buy given the state of things today.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Prices at the one somewhat local to me have always been so-so. There are a few dealers who always sit in the front row and buy anything they feel can turn them a $20 profit. I did find a $900 SLR 107FR and a $550 OPAP there once last year though. Then another time I had my eye on a Mauser Red Nine and it went for $3500. Recently, a C series Hi Power I went to check out brought $1350. And IIRC a Shield and a Hi Point each broke $500 each last month. Bad time right now.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the info. I*m not too worried about modern and ammo and the place I was looking at accepts my C&R and they have a 10% cash buys*s fee so it doesn*t seem like it would be too bad. $850 for a hipoint carbine in any condition is nuts. I kinda feel like with all the modern stuff and ammo craziness old milsurp may be kind of stable. I could be wrong though.

(Bucks County)

Went to Alderfers once. I won two old colt revolvers. Consecutive items. Went over to the table to fill out paperwork. The woman bringing the revolvers over to the paperwork table, held them both by the trigger guard in the same hand, having the revolvers rubbing together the whole time. She dropped them together on the table from about a foot up. She said, and I quote "Dont shoot your neighbor".

I'll never go back.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Prices at the one somewhat local to me have always been so-so. There are a few dealers who always sit in the front row and buy anything they feel can turn them a $20 profit. I did find a $900 SLR 107FR and a $550 OPAP there once last year though. Then another time I had my eye on a Mauser Red Nine and it went for $3500. Recently, a C series Hi Power I went to check out brought $1350. And IIRC a Shield and a Hi Point each broke $500 each last month. Bad time right now.
    Yeah, I know it*s bad now. I*m mostly curious and wanting to check it out or have something to do other than diy projects around the house. I bought an OPAP for around $460 when they first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Went to Alderfers once. I won two old colt revolvers. Consecutive items. Went over to the table to fill out paperwork. The woman bringing the revolvers over to the paperwork table, held them both by the trigger guard in the same hand, having the revolvers rubbing together the whole time. She dropped them together on the table from about a foot up. She said, and I quote "Dont shoot your neighbor".

I'll never go back.
    That sounds nice. I guess it was two hard for her to use two hands? Even if you*re not a gun person you work at a place that handles lots of guns so you*d think you*d know a little bit about holding them and not rubbing them together like kindling.

(Monroe County)

Never went to an auction, there is one on Rt 191 between Hamlin and Honesdale, they have a sign up for firearms auctions but I've never stopped, I'm either taking my 3yo grandson home or taking him to our house, we got em for 2 days a week and I don't want to waste time. They auction furniture and other stuff as well. The main building is pretty big and it has a bunch of aux buildings as well. I'll snap a pic or two next time we head by if it's light enough.