Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default PA Attorney General joins 17 states supporting CA over 10 round mag ban

According to this news release from the DC attorney general's office , our own attorney General joined with 17 other states to file a brief in support of California’s over ten round magazine ban and the en banc review of the case.

News Release — DC Office of the Attorney General
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 9, 2020
    MEDIA CONTACT: Office of Communications
    Coalition Asks Ninth Circuit to Rehear Case Striking Down Gun Safety Law
    WASHINGTON, D.C. – Attorney General Karl A. Racine today led a group of 18 state Attorneys General to defend California’s ban on large-capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. In a friend-of-the-court brief filed in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, AG Racine and his counterparts support California’s petition for en banc review in Duncan v. Becerra, a case in which a divided three-judge panel struck down California’s ban. The brief argues that the Second Amendment allows states to enact reasonable firearm restrictions that protect public safety.
    “The Constitution allows states to implement reasonable gun safety laws to keep their residents safe,” said AG Racine. “Restricting large-capacity magazines is a common-sense reform that California, the District of Columbia, and other states have adopted to reduce the number of injuries and deaths resulting from the gun violence that plagues our nation. Our coalition of state Attorneys General will continue to defend the right of states to make public safety decisions that protect our residents.”

Since 2000, California has prohibited the manufacture, importation, and sale of large-capacity magazines. In 2016, to further stem the proliferation of large-capacity magazines, the California legislature and the California electorate passed Proposition 63 banning the possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Nine other states and the District of Columbia have also enacted laws banning large-capacity magazines. The constitutionality of those laws has been unanimously upheld by other federal courts of appeals.
    The Duncan lawsuit was filed by a group of gun owners and the California Rifle & Pistol Association, a state affiliate of the National Rifle Association, after the passage of California’s Proposition 63. In April 2019, a lower court struck down California’s prohibition on large-capacity magazines. California appealed the ruling to the Ninth Circuit, and in August 2020, a divided three-judge panel affirmed the district court’s judgment. California sought en banc review, prompting the states’ amicus brief in support.
    I
    In the amicus brief, the states collectively urge the Ninth Circuit to rehear the case en banc and argue that California’s ban on large-capacity magazines is a reasonable and lawful restriction because:
    • The Second Amendment permits states to enact common-sense gun safety measures: The brief explains that states are entitled to adopt reasonable restrictions on firearms to protect public safety. Restricting access to large-capacity magazines is a reasonable restriction because it reduces firearm injuries and deaths without infringing individuals’ core Second Amendment right to self-defense.

• States have a responsibility to prevent gun violence and protect public safety: The brief notes that states have primary responsibility for ensuring public safety. This includes a duty to reduce the likelihood that their citizens will fall victim to preventable firearm violence and to minimize fatalities and injuries when such violence occurs. Population density, economic conditions, and the strength of local law enforcement all vary widely across the country, and all may have an impact on crime and effective crime-fighting efforts. The brief notes that deciding how best to protect the safety of state residents is a question better suited to legislatures than courts.

• Courts have allowed states to regulate large-capacity magazines to protect the public: Every other court of appeals has allowed states leeway to respond to gun violence within their borders by regulating large-capacity magazines.

The brief is available at: https://oag.dc.gov/sites/default/fil...on-En-Banc.pdf

AG Racine is leading today’s friend-of-the-court brief and is joined by Attorneys General from Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington.
    Supporting Reasonable Gun Safety Regulations

AG Racine has led multistate coalitions supporting California, New Jersey, and Vermont’s ban on large-capacity magazines that can save lives. In 2020, AG Racine also joined a multistate “ghost gun” lawsuit to prevent the federal government from making it easier to acquire 3D-printed firearms online and separately sued gun manufacturer Polymer80 for illegally advertising and selling untraceable ghost guns to D.C. consumers.
    https://thedcline.org/2020/09/09/pre...ity-magazines/

(Delaware County)

Default Re: PA Attorney General joins 17 states supporting CA over 10 round mag ban

Think about that when Shapiro runs for governor or senate to challenge toomey in 2022.
    Shapiro is dragging this state in with all the anti gun states and yet PA is supposedly a state with a healthy percentage of gun owners.

We got the Attorney General that apparently many firearm owners and carry permit holders voted for, or did not bother to show up to vote against

(Columbia County)

Default Re: PA Attorney General joins 17 states supporting CA over 10 round mag ban

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    Think about that when Shapiro runs for governor or senate to challenge toomey in 2022.
    Shapiro is dragging this state in with all the anti gun states and yet PA is supposedly a state with a healthy percentage of gun owners.

We got the Attorney General that apparently many firearm owners and carry permit holders voted for, or did not bother to show up to vote against
    I agree. There is no way he should have won in 2016 after Trump won PA. Of course the Bob Casey re election in 2018 is another score for the anti gun side. In November he is up from re election but I doubt if anyone even knows who the GOP candidate is. I already mentioned in other posts that she doesn't mention a thing about gun rights on her campaign website or social media. Although She did get recommended by the NRA and FOAC .

(Berks County)

I will say this much, Shapiro is not at all on our side and I rather give a vote to Heidelbaugh then this guy. Same to be said for the upcoming Auditor General candidate Tim DeFoor.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Bucks County)

Make me a criminal by unjust laws and you'll quickly see how many other laws I stop obeying.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by steve_010 View Post
    Make me a criminal by unjust laws and you'll quickly see how many other laws I stop obeying.
    If your already a criminal, might as well handle the real criminals while your at it.

To think, I could have used all those $200 tax stamps to just buy more ammo instead of trying to abide by the law.. don't these basterds have bigger fish to fry at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
    To think, I could have used all those $200 tax stamps to just buy more ammo instead of trying to abide by the law.. don't these basterds have bigger fish to fry at this point?
    Your gunz are in their way of their globalist government. So pack up and go to jail, do not pass go, and do not collect your $200 back..

(Philadelphia County)

I like that.....and I've never liked Shapiro.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I like that.....and I've never liked Shapiro.
    Time to vote his ass out!
    -Brandon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast