Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Mounting a Scope on .338 WINMAG

I've got this Winchester Model 70 in .338 WINMAG and a scope for it. My knowledge of scope mounting is...well...other than picatinny rails I have no knowledge. The rifle currently has some sort of mounts on it and also has the iron sights on it. What should I expect to do to get this scope on it? Should I figure out what the existing mounts are and work with them? Can a picatinny rail be mounted on this rifle? If so, should I mount one? Any other things I should know or take into consideration? I don't see this as a do it myself project, probably have a smithy do it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Default Re: Mounting a Scope on .338 WINMAG

First of all , exactly which Model 70 do you have? Pre-64 with big external Mauser style extractor? Post-64 with push-feed bolt? Later USRACo/FN rifle?

Would need to see which mounts are on it so you can get the correct rings.

I do believe EGW makes a 1pc Picatinny rail for all the above Mod.70 variations.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    First of all , exactly which Model 70 do you have? Pre-64 with big external Mauser style extractor? Post-64 with push-feed bolt? Later USRACo/FN rifle?

Would need to see which mounts are on it so you can get the correct rings.

I do believe EGW makes a 1pc Picatinny rail for all the above Mod.70 variations.
    Post '64, my family doesn't have that kind of luck. Here's a shot of what's on there now, if it helps.

Attachment 136655

(Bucks County)

Those bases have no canal for the cross-screw of a scope mount intended for Picatinny or Weaver. I've never seen them before. They seem to have a shoulder that the ring can butt up against.

The rifle is probably factory drilled and tapped. Provide the model and purchase the bases you want. Or find out what scope mounts the bases are intended for. One single (long) base will span the ejection/loading area and be a pita, if not downright impossible to live with.

Your biggest consideration will be what scope height you want or must get. You want to be mounted as low as possible, but cheek weld or bolt handle may dictate a higher mount (which come in low, medium and high). Scope mount companies provide charts explaining how to measure a mount's height. I think MidwayUSA provides this.

The one tool I would want is a FAT wrench. Then apply the inch-pounds to the fasteners as provided by the manufacturers. Scopes rings do not require heavy tightening. Most scopes can be damaged with too much tightening.

A brand new scope should come with the retical centered. I really like the Burris mounts that have plastic inserts, allowing adjustment of the scope if needed without unduly disturbing the internal settings.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

I think I found them. If these are the bases on your rifle, they are proprietary to Talley rings.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...teel-base.html
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Berks County)

Thanks, that gives me something to start with.

They don't look anything like current Talley bases. Might be marked on the underside.
    If there's a reason you want Picatinny bases , there's lots of 1 and 2pc options. The Redfield style base/rings was probably the most popular at one time.

And FWIW , all Model 70s were factory drilled and tapped

(Berks County)

I have found rings here that fit the bases, they have 'Leupold Detacho' stamped into them. These are too small for this scope so I'll need to get some others. Will these be strong enough to hold their positions on this .338? And I am considering attaching a rail but I'm thinking it would be cheaper, easier and sufficient to get rings for these mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have found rings here that fit the bases, they have 'Leupold Detacho' stamped into them. These are too small for this scope so I'll need to get some others. Will these be strong enough to hold their positions on this .338? And I am considering attaching a rail but I'm thinking it would be cheaper, easier and sufficient to get rings for these mounts.
    Once I get a scope in proper position , I like to use a drop or two of Loctite between ring cap and scope. Keeps scope from shifting under recoil.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Once I get a scope in proper position , I like to use a drop or two of Loctite between ring cap and scope. Keeps scope from shifting under recoil.
    I've heard of guys using loctite somewhere but didn't know where. I have a local smitthy who's going to set it up for me. For a few bucks I know I won't buy the wrong ht rings or screw it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast