Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New to area.. help please!

Hello

Just moved to Center City area from NJ. I purchased an AR lower and some parts recently that i want to put together however I don’t have a vice and don’t think I want to purchase one ( for space reasons). Anyone willing and able to invite me in to use theirs?

I will provide beer and happy to throw you a couple bucks for the help!

Alternatively does anyone know a good Smith in the area? Searched a bit but all the threads were from years ago.

Final question: any FFLA in the area who will accept forearms shipped from individuals?

Thank you so much!

-Quinn

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New to area.. help please!

Hi, Quinn! Welcome! Glad you got out of the Peoples Republic of NJ, but Philly isn't much better, I'm afraid.

First of all, a vice is not a necessity to build an AR lower, although I admit it can make it easier. If you want to build your own upper, definitely need one and a special set of blocks that go inside the upper receiver so you don't crush it. Here's a video of a guy who put his lower together without a vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nen5iNNzVXE

If you really want to use a bench with a vise on it, you're more than welcome to come use mine, I'm out by Valley Forge, though, not too close. My son and I have built about 8 of them, so if this is your first, happy to help in any way I can.

Couple of suggestions, if I may be so bold and you don't have all your parts yet ...

Get an ALG Defense ACT trigger. They're only about $65, but such an improvement over the stock kit triggers you won't believe it. They are MILSPEC dimensions, but the sear/hammer surfaces that work together are polished and then differentially coated, one with nickel boron, one with nickel teflon. You can also buy a lower parts kit without a trigger, because this is commonly done.

An H buffer will give you better results than the stock carbine buffer, the little extra weight helps smooth everything out.

Thank you so much for the offer JCinPA. I’ll keep you in mind if I need you.

I think I will be able to assemble without a vice. I went with a complete upper and I am giving a ratcheting castle but a try so I should be able to complete it without a vice.

I have all the parts. However I had a stripped lower shipped to Founding Fathers Weapon outfitters. It has been marked delivered for close to two weeks. I showed up expecting to be able to pick it up but they told me they are backed up. I have them the weekend thinking I would hear back but I did not. I have called a multitude of times just asking if it has arrived safely, but they are unable to give me a straight answer and just say that they are opening boxes.

Every firearm I ever had shipped to a FFL would call me the same day it arrived. Should I be concerned?

(Chester County)

Seconding what JCinPA said about not needing a vice to build a lower, your best friends are YouTube, patience and a large, clear plastic bag to work inside of when attempting to install the front take-down pin's spring and detent, along with a large magnet to find the detent when it flies out of the bag.
    Last edited by eatmydust; October 2nd, 2020 at 07:49 PM.