Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Question Switchable Gas Block for AR (thinking .458)

All,

I am planning on building some ARs to meet different needs. I’ve been wanting a thumper with an eye toward possible hunting in the future, and have settled on .458 SOCOM. Stay with me…

I recall reading somewhere that “switchable” gas blocks can be had that can work as either gas operated OR rear-charging single shot, requiring tools and/or partial disassembly to make the change. If I remember correctly, having the rifle in single shot mode without the tools at hand would be a legal hunting rifle.

So, since my google fu is failing me this week, does anyone know where (if anywhere) I might source said gas block that would work with .458, and is .458 a reasonable deer stopper?

Or am I just wasting my time?

Default Re: Switchable Gas Block for AR (thinking .458)

I like the 458 SOCOM, but if PA Whitetail is what you are hunting, you don't need a 458 to kill a deer. You will also want to reload as 458SOCOM is very expensive to buy factory ammo, and this was before this year.

I would recommend you call Tony Rumore as he is the man when it comes to 458 SOCOM...he also offers the 375 SOCOM as well. Don't buy a BCA 458 as I would only recommend Tromix as he was the one that developed the SOCOM calibers.

Why not just pop out the gas block altogether when you are using it to hunt? That would make your AR a single shot.

(Wyoming County)

I had spare upper & a spare lower that I too needed a reason to complete. So I decided a thumper was necessary.

To add to Aubie's excellent advice:

I selected .458 but I didn't select it for hunting reasons. If I were looking to hunt- I'm sold that the .450 Bushmaster is the way to go.

I had to order .458Socom ammo from Midway. My LGS sells .450 BM off the shelf

I believe .450BM is ballistic-ally superior to .458 and .450BM is straight walled if you choose to hunt in a state that requires those particular cartridges.

The .458 is bottlenecked and has fewer issues than the .450BM feeding from un-altered mags.

I bought a Bearcreek(BCA) barrel, for $50 on sale, and was well aware that I might regret doing so. I had to do my own gas port sizing with drill, because it would not cycle properly, so on second thought maybe you should go with Bearcreek(BCA) and that way you will have a single shot like I did :-)

But like Aubie said you can't go wrong if you shop via tromix.com they also sell 450BM; 358 socom; 300 hammer; etc etc

*ETA: Sorry I can't help with the gas block question
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I like the 458 SOCOM, but if PA Whitetail is what you are hunting, you don't need a 458 to kill a deer. You will also want to reload as 458SOCOM is very expensive to buy factory ammo, and this was before this year.
    I did some reading and chose the .458 over the .450 Bushy and .500 Beowolf mostly for magazine reasons. I still may lean back to .450 because I already reload .45 ACP. This isn't meant to be a deer rifle, just a deer-capable rifle

I would recommend you call Tony Rumore as he is the man when it comes to 458 SOCOM...he also offers the 375 SOCOM as well. Don't buy a BCA 458 as I would only recommend Tromix as he was the one that developed the SOCOM calibers.
    Will consider, thanks

Why not just pop out the gas block altogether when you are using it to hunt? That would make your AR a single shot.
    I'm lazy. I don't want to have to put her on the bench and pull off whatever muzzle device I go with just to switch from single to semi. Like I said above, it's not meant to be just a deer rifle, but a deer-capable rifle.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I had spare upper & a spare lower that I too needed a reason to complete. So I decided a thumper was necessary.
    5 lowers in need of uppers. So far I'm thinking:
    • 18" 5.56 to get back in form for those "where the hell is the target" distances. Should include bipod and functional optic.
    • 16" 5.56 for CQB/home
    • Thumper for just because/future deer gun
    • 10" braced pistol with .22 conversion in friendly colors for intro to new shooters
    • 16" pistol caliber because I don't have one

I selected .458 but I didn't select it for hunting reasons. If I were looking to hunt- I'm sold that the .450 Bushmaster is the way to go.

I believe .450BM is ballistic-ally superior to .458 and .450BM is straight walled if you choose to hunt in a state that requires those particular cartridges.
    More points to lean back to .450 Bushy.

I had to order .458Socom ammo from Midway. My LGS sells .450 BM off the shelf

The .458 is bottlenecked and has fewer issues than the .450BM feeding from un-altered mags.
    That mag thing keeps pulling me back to .458

I bought a Bearcreek(BCA) barrel, for $50 on sale, and was well aware that I might regret doing so. I had to do my own gas port sizing with drill, because it would not cycle properly, so on second thought maybe you should go with Bearcreek(BCA) and that way you will have a single shot like I did :-)
    Again, not specifically looking for a single shot, but I hear ya.

But like Aubie said you can't go wrong if you shop via tromix.com they also sell 450BM; 358 socom; 300 hammer; etc etc
    Will look

*ETA: Sorry I can't help with the gas block question
    Someone will. Appreciate your input, thanks.

(Beaver County)

By "switchable" I assume you mean "adjustable" gas block. It's a search terminology thing that may be impeding your overall search experiance. And yes most adj gas blocks can be turned off. Hence a single shot. You would need to know the barrel diameter at the gas block to acquire the correct one.

Now a word of warning. I have an adj gas block on my 6.5 Grendel. When it is turned off it is almost impossible to extract the spent case without serious effort. It just may be my gun but I would not just jump in to a single shot gas gun and find out reloads are a few minute exercise.

And I have owned 3 big bore AR's. Stick with the 450 Bushy. Overall just better. And they feed fine. So does the 50 Beowulf. The only thing the SOCOM really gets you is bullet selection.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.