Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Cleaned some guns today - my random thoughts

Cleaned more guns today from a range trip on Thursday.

1. Beretta 92fs. Barely dirty. Always easy to clean. I was testing some new magazines for it.

2. Cz75d pcr. Also barely dirty but i did take apart the sticking loaded chamber indicator only to find the spring was mangled. It ran despite this.

3. Ruger 10/22 in a pmaca stock. I shot it so much that the stock screw actually backed out. I guess that is a downside to a chassis that heats up with the receiver. I'll find a lock washer to deal with this in the future.

This thing was really filthy. I started getting some jams at the end of my extended shooting session. I even took the magazines apart for the first time.

The 15 and 25 round magazines are super easy to work on. The rotary magazines are a little trickier, but i watched a few videos and i was in business.

Going back to an earlier point about using cleaning time to examine for parts failures, had i not taken a little extra time with the pcr, I'd never have noticed the mangled spring.

My plan is to carry this gun and any non functioning part has to be dealt with first. I don't want to invite a jam.

-Zach

(Allegheny County)

Are you going to start a thread about polishing your ammo, or can that just get added into this thread?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Are you going to start a thread about polishing your ammo, or can that just get added into this thread?

Haha. I wonder how much better polished ammo shoots.

-Zach

(Monroe County)

I was raised on Hoppes #9, have a few bottles but I use CLP, the M109 guys used to get it in 5 gallon buckets. Thats another thing that has a shortage, have not seen a hoppes or clp bottle in any of the local gun shops or Walmart.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fistv View Post
    I was raised on Hoppes #9, have a few bottles but I use CLP, the M109 guys used to get it in 5 gallon buckets. Thats another thing that has a shortage, have not seen a hoppes or clp bottle in any of the local gun shops or Walmart.
    The worst part about hoppes #9 is that it dissolves whether you use it or not. I had a very full bottle turn into a nearly empty bottle somewhat quickly. I finished it off today.

I use hoppes #9, hoppes elite foaming cleaner (i don't know that it is actually any better than any other cleaner), my go to breakfree clp. Breakfree is good if you maintain your weapons regularly. But it doesn't have the same solvent capabilities as hoppes #9. Fortunately, i like how both of those nasty chemicals smell.

-Zach

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234