Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Cleaned some guns today - my random thoughts

I have an AK. What is this "cleaning" you are talking about?

(York County)

There are a series of Youtube videos about a Chicom type 56 AK nicknamed "Tetanus". So ugly its a work of art.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8Yx5v2Dco

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Cleaning is also opportunity for inspection. I clean after every time shooting.
    Me too. Although, there are some here who will brag about rarely cleaning or cleaning very infrequently.

They probably drive dirty cars too, with interiors full of clutter and fast food wrappers.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Me too. Although, there are some here who will brag about rarely cleaning or cleaning very infrequently.

They probably drive dirty cars too, with interiors full of clutter and fast food wrappers.
    I even clean my Taurus revolver after shooting and it's the most inexpensive firearm that I own. The point is if you invest in gun metal it's up to you to take care of it. Even M-16's needed to be cleaned and they came out with a cartoon book to show how it is done because dirty guns jam at the worst possible time. A history lesson of sorts.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Susquehanna County)

I clean my guns when they need it. Typically after a match. Sorry to say I've seen too many guns screwed up by improper cleaning, esp. by soldiers. But that being said if I was in the desert or in jungle, or arctic, I'd clean them every chance I got whether they'd been fired or not.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    What cleaning solution are you using?
    I've used both Simple Green Extreme, and Hornady one shot

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Even M-16's needed to be cleaned and they came out with a cartoon book to show how it is done because dirty guns jam at the worst possible time. A history lesson of sorts.

When the M-16 was first adopted/issued , it was said by designers to never need cleaning. It was not even equipped with cleaning gear.

Then the disastrous 'ball' powder change met the dampness of Vietnam.

Cleaning kits were quickly developed and issued in web gear (ALICE) cases. Not even a 'trapdoor' in the buttstock.

Certainly the comic-book instruction manual of ''How to strip your Sweet 16'' would be highly offensive and forbidden today!

sweet16a.jpg
    sweet16b.jpg
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Cleaning is a mystery to me. I can never reach the point of a patch coming out clean. Ever. Hoppe's, CLP, Ballistol, Kano Kroil...doesn't matter.

Assuming that manufacturers test fire, when I bought my Savage 10 FCP-K (.308), I ran a Hoppe's-soaked patch through the bore. It came out looking like it had been spray-painted black. The 25th patch came out black. I phoned Savage and asked for suggestions. Guy said hold on I'll ask a tech. He came back on and said, "They said just shoot it".

When cleaning after firing, I settle for a patch any color but black. Green is good. Means all but the copper is gone. I want the copper to remain. It fills in the imperfections left by the machining.

The dirtiest shooting I have experienced is firing Bulgarian spam can ammo in my Mosin Nagant. That stuff is filthy.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Mercer County)

I keep my daily carry firearms clean and they never go more than a week without a cleaning. If I rotate a different firearm into EDC it will be properly cleaned before loading and carry.

My hunting firearms get a good cleaning before the season, then I fire one or two rounds through the bore before actual hunt.

My range firearms hardly ever get a cleaning/I just wipe them down as these are range firearms, if they jam or fail to fire I unload 'em and grab another firearm and continue shooting. When I get home the jamming or failing gun gets a proper cleaning.

I have a BT 99 that I use for trap that I haven't cleaned properly for about 10 years (I only wipe it down and maybe run a patch with gun oil down the bore every year or so).

I used this system for a lot of years and this works for me. I have never had one of EDC firearms jam or fail to fire.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Cleaning is a mystery to me. I can never reach the point of a patch coming out clean. Ever. Hoppe's, CLP, Ballistol, Kano Kroil...doesn't matter.

Assuming that manufacturers test fire, when I bought my Savage 10 FCP-K (.308), I ran a Hoppe's-soaked patch through the bore. It came out looking like it had been spray-painted black. The 25th patch came out black. I phoned Savage and asked for suggestions. Guy said hold on I'll ask a tech. He came back on and said, "They said just shoot it".

When cleaning after firing, I settle for a patch any color but black. Green is good. Means all but the copper is gone. I want the copper to remain. It fills in the imperfections left by the machining.

The dirtiest shooting I have experienced is firing Bulgarian spam can ammo in my Mosin Nagant. That stuff is filthy.
    Pulling carbon out of the steel. Ever notice how polishing compound leaves the rag black?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast