Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Rod of Iron Freedom Festival

Lol for the 1 comment I made, which in itself was in no way rude or disrespectful,

Bob felt the need to block me.

Lol calm down Ken.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    There was nothing in any way rude or disrespectful posted in the comment you quoted. He was encouraging attendance.
    Yes, no disrespect at all was intended. My point is that this is primarily a celebration of our American liberties. The Moons support that 100%. If you want information about Pastor Sean's church, you can certainly get it there, but that's not the event's main focus.
    Val W. Finnell, MD, MPH | Pennsylvania Director, Gun Owners of America | 703-321-8585

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I don't know any of the Moons personally but having talked to them and hearing them speak, I can see them saying the exact same thing.

I'm pretty sure that Val knows them quite well.

Yes, I do know them well. They are great people and very supportive of GOA and other gun rights organizations. They want everyone to be welcome at the event. I meant nothing derogatory at all in my comments.
    Val W. Finnell, MD, MPH | Pennsylvania Director, Gun Owners of America | 703-321-8585

(Lehigh County)

So I went today and just got back about 3 hours ago.

Overall; to me; it was only an "ok" day.
    Some factors due to experiences at the festival and other experiences due to the drive there and back. Really ruined the day.

The drive there requires me to take rt 209 through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. I take 209 to 739.

Anyone who knows the area. Knows rt 209 through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Is a two lane, twenty mile stretch of road with no passing zones.
    Within the first mile of entering that stretch of road going North. I came upon backed up traffic.
    The speed limits on 209 in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area range from 35mph to 40mph.
    So that means traffic routinely moves at a pace between 45mph and 60mph.
    Well this backed up traffic is only doing 25mph. And I'm about the 15th car in line.
    After a couple miles; I see the cause. The lead car is a Toyota Prius with bicycles racked to their back bumper.
    We all were stuck behind this jackass nearly the entire stretch of 209 from the Southern entrance to the 739 intersection.
    And by the time the Prius had turned off into a parking area; the line of us vehicles had grown to well over 20.
    So that means nearly 14 miles, of two dozen cars doing 25mph on a stretch of road we would normally be doing 50mph.
    And not only did they drive at half the normal speed. They are one of those jackasses who takes more than 10+ seconds to make a turn.
    So I was able to glance at the back of the Prius as it was still pulling into the parking area.
    It had a frickin BIDEN sticker on it's bumper !!!!

Anyway at the festival. I encounter two messed up situations.

First situation:
    I arrived very early. 9:30am. Most vendors were still in the process of setting up.
    This year I wanted to buy one of those wooden U.S. flags made by Grain To Glory.
    Assuming he might be in the same spot he had last year. Which was immediately to the right as you enter the festival.
    So after registering and going though the opening to the festival. I start walking to the right.
    At which point there is a gray, hippy-haired (ie. nearly butt length gray hair tied into a ponytail) Vietnam Vet standing motionless in the middle of the walkway with his back towards me.
    As I walk past him, I turn and attempt to say "Thank you for serving.".
    But he interrupted me and said "Whoa ! You can't go in here. This is sacred ground. You have to disarm and go through that entrance.". He then points to the other side of the orange snow fence.
    I politely respond "Ok. Then I won't go in there.". And walk away.
    I know he's probably a volunteer. BUT if he's suppose to be guarding this entrance. Wouldn't it be wise to be facing the people coming in instead of having his back towards them ?
    Can anyone explain to me why some Vietnam Vets choose to wear their hair in the same style as all those hippys who spat on them and called them baby killers ?

So as I turn around and walk into the festival. I see the INFO tent and grab an event booklet.
    As I peruse the booklet. I see on the map; that the Vet was at the entrance to the Traveling Vietnam Wall.
    So much for the organizers making that clear.

Well being that no activity is scheduled to start for another hour and half.
    I wonder around to see what all is currently setup and what is still being setup.
    It was the usual things. Some food vendors, some 2A Rights organizations, some gun related vendors, and the oddball or two vendors who I had no idea how they are related to 2A or Freedom.
    I buy some food for a late breakfast as I keep wondering around.
    Eventually I come across Grain To Glory setting up his tent. I buy one of his wooden U.S flags and take it back to my truck.

Ultimately the activities start at 11am.
    REALLY great, energetic, pro USA, pro 2A, pro Freedom, pro Constitution speakers !
    I enjoyed their speeches a lot. They were worth the 2-hour drive to get there.

Second situation:
    The event booklet shows Maj Toure scheduled to speak at 1pm in the "Seminar Building".
    But the map in the booklet shows no such thing.
    On the map there are "Seminar Tent" and a "Memorial Building"; but no "Seminar Building.
    So I go to the INFO tent to get some clarification.
    The two guys in the tent both try to answer my question at the same time, kept interrupting each other, their answers disagreed with each other, and their answers clearly indicated they did not comprehend my question.
    After about 5 mins of back-n-forth among the three of us. They said "Seminar Building" means "Seminar Tent".
    So I went to the "Seminar Tent" and waited for Maj.
    BUT come 1pm; the speaker was not Maj. It was Charles Kraut talking about his run for President and what we can do to get the U.S. back on track of following the Constitution.
    His speech was good; so I stayed and listened. But he's was not whom I was expecting to speak.

Although not a situation. I was upset with the amount of people attending a "Freedom Festival" wearing masks.
    It appeared to be as much as 10% of the people !
    Sad.

Anyway after listening to Charles Kraut. I wondered around few a few mins more before calling it a day and headed home.

On the drive home. I encountered several loony, jackass people.

Driving South along 209 in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
    Out of nowhere. A single biker in a group of four Harleys decides to attempt suicide by swerving across the center into oncoming traffic.
    Myself and the two cars in front of me all swerve onto the shoulder to avoid colliding with him.
    I don't have a freaking clue what made him do that. No pothole, no animal (alive or dead); nothing.
    Hope he made it home alive and in one piece.

Father South on 209; near I-80; at the last traffic light, which is red. I stop behind another Harley rider.
    The guy is the rider and his gal is passenger. He has one of those meaningless yamaka sized helmets and she has none.
    While I'm stopped behind him. Both of them are fidgeting around on the bike, leaning left, leaning right, looking in their mirrors, and saying something to each other.
    Eventually he turns around, looks at me, flips me the bird, and says "backoff".
    While I'm less than a full car length behind him. I'm nowhere near what most people would call "too close".
    In fact I could see his license plate. It was a temporary paper plate.
    When the light turns green; he insists traveling on traveling at only 15mph flipping me the bird the entire time.
    When we get to the entrance ramp for I-80 West. He speeds up a little. He gets up to a whole 40mph.
    So when the white lines near the bottom of the ramp become dotted. I signal, merge onto I-80, and accelerate pass the biker.
    And of course he flips me the bird as he nearly causes a crash while he tries to merge on the interstate at only 40mph.

Once back in Allentown, just a mile or two from my house.
    I'm at a red light, stopped in the left turn lane, behind a black, midsize SUV.
    They are stopped more than a car length behind the stop line.
    So with my window rolled down.I shout "Move up to the stop line or else the light will never change.".
    They don't move.
    But after a couple mins; a car from the other direction eventually stops at the light causing it to turn green.
    The black SUV and myself turn left.
    BUT the male driver insists on doing only 12mph and using his driver side mirror to stare at me for the entire next two blocks.
    We ultimately come to another red light. At which point he moves into it's left turn lane and I move past him into the right turn lane.
    After about 15 secs or so. He moves up in his lane about 1 car length further than me.
    At which time his female passenger in the front seat. Opens her door, leans out, and yells at me "I Have fucking kids in the car you fucking asshole !".

So that was my experience for the festival and today.
    Not going to tomorrow.
    --ET

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    So I went today and just got back about 3 hours ago.

Overall; to me; it was only an "ok" day.
    Some factors due to experiences at the festival and other experiences due to the drive there and back. Really ruined the day.

The drive there requires me to take rt 209 through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. I take 209 to 739.

Anyone who knows the area. Knows rt 209 through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Is a two lane, twenty mile stretch of road with no passing zones.
    Within the first mile of entering that stretch of road going North. I came upon backed up traffic.
    The speed limits on 209 in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area range from 35mph to 40mph.
    So that means traffic routinely moves at a pace between 45mph and 60mph.
    Well this backed up traffic is only doing 25mph. And I'm about the 15th car in line.
    After a couple miles; I see the cause. The lead car is a Toyota Prius with bicycles racked to their back bumper.
    We all were stuck behind this jackass nearly the entire stretch of 209 from the Southern entrance to the 739 intersection.
    And by the time the Prius had turned off into a parking area; the line of us vehicles had grown to well over 20.
    So that means nearly 14 miles, of two dozen cars doing 25mph on a stretch of road we would normally be doing 50mph.
    And not only did they drive at half the normal speed. They are one of those jackasses who takes more than 10+ seconds to make a turn.
    So I was able to glance at the back of the Prius as it was still pulling into the parking area.
    It had a frickin BIDEN sticker on it's bumper !!!!

Anyway at the festival. I encounter two messed up situations.

First situation:
    I arrived very early. 9:30am. Most vendors were still in the process of setting up.
    This year I wanted to buy one of those wooden U.S. flags made by Grain To Glory.
    Assuming he might be in the same spot he had last year. Which was immediately to the right as you enter the festival.
    So after registering and going though the opening to the festival. I start walking to the right.
    At which point there is a gray, hippy-haired (ie. nearly butt length gray hair tied into a ponytail) Vietnam Vet standing motionless in the middle of the walkway with his back towards me.
    As I walk past him, I turn and attempt to say "Thank you for serving.".
    But he interrupted me and said "Whoa ! You can't go in here. This is sacred ground. You have to disarm and go through that entrance.". He then points to the other side of the orange snow fence.
    I politely respond "Ok. Then I won't go in there.". And walk away.
    I know he's probably a volunteer. BUT if he's suppose to be guarding this entrance. Wouldn't it be wise to be facing the people coming in instead of having his back towards them ?
    Can anyone explain to me why some Vietnam Vets choose to wear their hair in the same style as all those hippys who spat on them and called them baby killers ?

So as I turn around and walk into the festival. I see the INFO tent and grab an event booklet.
    As I peruse the booklet. I see on the map; that the Vet was at the entrance to the Traveling Vietnam Wall.
    So much for the organizers making that clear.

Well being that no activity is scheduled to start for another hour and half.
    I wonder around to see what all is currently setup and what is still being setup.
    It was the usual things. Some food vendors, some 2A Rights organizations, some gun related vendors, and the oddball or two vendors who I had no idea how they are related to 2A or Freedom.
    I buy some food for a late breakfast as I keep wondering around.
    Eventually I come across Grain To Glory setting up his tent. I buy one of his wooden U.S flags and take it back to my truck.

Ultimately the activities start at 11am.
    REALLY great, energetic, pro USA, pro 2A, pro Freedom, pro Constitution speakers !
    I enjoyed their speeches a lot. They were worth the 2-hour drive to get there.

Second situation:
    The event booklet shows Maj Toure scheduled to speak at 1pm in the "Seminar Building".
    But the map in the booklet shows no such thing.
    On the map there are "Seminar Tent" and a "Memorial Building"; but no "Seminar Building.
    So I go to the INFO tent to get some clarification.
    The two guys in the tent both try to answer my question at the same time, kept interrupting each other, their answers disagreed with each other, and their answers clearly indicated they did not comprehend my question.
    After about 5 mins of back-n-forth among the three of us. They said "Seminar Building" means "Seminar Tent".
    So I went to the "Seminar Tent" and waited for Maj.
    BUT come 1pm; the speaker was not Maj. It was Charles Kraut talking about his run for President and what we can do to get the U.S. back on track of following the Constitution.
    His speech was good; so I stayed and listened. But he's was not whom I was expecting to speak.

Although not a situation. I was upset with the amount of people attending a "Freedom Festival" wearing masks.
    It appeared to be as much as 10% of the people !
    Sad.

Anyway after listening to Charles Kraut. I wondered around few a few mins more before calling it a day and headed home.

On the drive home. I encountered several loony, jackass people.

Driving South along 209 in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
    Out of nowhere. A single biker in a group of four Harleys decides to attempt suicide by swerving across the center into oncoming traffic.
    Myself and the two cars in front of me all swerve onto the shoulder to avoid colliding with him.
    I don't have a freaking clue what made him do that. No pothole, no animal (alive or dead); nothing.
    Hope he made it home alive and in one piece.

Father South on 209; near I-80; at the last traffic light, which is red. I stop behind another Harley rider.
    The guy is the rider and his gal is passenger. He has one of those meaningless yamaka sized helmets and she has none.
    While I'm stopped behind him. Both of them are fidgeting around on the bike, leaning left, leaning right, looking in their mirrors, and saying something to each other.
    Eventually he turns around, looks at me, flips me the bird, and says "backoff".
    While I'm less than a full car length behind him. I'm nowhere near what most people would call "too close".
    In fact I could see his license plate. It was a temporary paper plate.
    When the light turns green; he insists traveling on traveling at only 15mph flipping me the bird the entire time.
    When we get to the entrance ramp for I-80 West. He speeds up a little. He gets up to a whole 40mph.
    So when the white lines near the bottom of the ramp become dotted. I signal, merge onto I-80, and accelerate pass the biker.
    And of course he flips me the bird as he nearly causes a crash while he tries to merge on the interstate at only 40mph.

Once back in Allentown, just a mile or two from my house.
    I'm at a red light, stopped in the left turn lane, behind a black, midsize SUV.
    They are stopped more than a car length behind the stop line.
    So with my window rolled down.I shout "Move up to the stop line or else the light will never change.".
    They don't move.
    But after a couple mins; a car from the other direction eventually stops at the light causing it to turn green.
    The black SUV and myself turn left.
    BUT the male driver insists on doing only 12mph and using his driver side mirror to stare at me for the entire next two blocks.
    We ultimately come to another red light. At which point he moves into it's left turn lane and I move past him into the right turn lane.
    After about 15 secs or so. He moves up in his lane about 1 car length further than me.
    At which time his female passenger in the front seat. Opens her door, leans out, and yells at me "I Have fucking kids in the car you fucking asshole !".

So that was my experience for the festival and today.
    Not going to tomorrow.
    I make it a habit to NEVER go anywhere between Tannersville and New Jersey in Monroe or Pike counties on holiday weekends. To do so just leads to dyspepsia. Avoid the following highways under all circumstances: I-80, I-380 south of Mt. Pocono, SR 940, SR 611, SR 209, US-33.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

Dude. Eat a Snickers!

LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Wayne County)

Going later this morning...anyone going to be there?
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Wayne County)

I'll be the guy in the Mountain Meats gray polo. Youngest son coming with.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
    Going later this morning...anyone going to be there?
    So........what did you think?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Wayne County)

Son and I enjoyed it. Was looking for you to say hi. Did meet a couple poofa guys. Thinking about doing a booth next year...saw several of my customers there and they were glad I came. Good folks, great speakers, and a pleasant time. Time well spent. Only thing I bought tho was a 50 pound bag of rice...we go thru a lot of it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast