Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Scope Lens Covers

There's probably been more words written than democrat mail in ballots if that's possible about the different brands and type of scope lens covers. I have a few rifles with scopes on them. One long time scope carrier is a Marlin lever action 1895SS in 45/70 which has a Leupold 2x7x40 Vari-X II and a Marlin 880 .22LR with a Bushnell Sportview 3x9x32. I have the Butler Creek flip open protectors on the Leupold they have held up well but I have a backup set in case they break which is a pretty common thing.

The Butler Creek covers are inexpensive so you can keep spares easily without breaking the bank. There are some really expensive ones out there like the ones for Swarovski and the newest Leupold scopes. There are some mid range ones too like Vortex and a few others that are mainly sold to fit the scopes they sell but if you know your scope tube outside diameter you can have those fit your scope too. Then there low end ones like the Butler Creek and Monstrum rubberized covers.

Anyway, to figure out which ones you need you will have to measure the outside diameter of the of the scope tube itself and then go from there. This whole thing is about getting decent lens covers for my Marlin .22. The bikini scope cover I had for the Bushnell on the Marlin 880 doesn't fit and the elastic strings on the side are dry rotted and ready to break. I found and had purchased a while ago nice objective lens covers for my Nikon binoculars, the ones that came with them were junk and were hard to manage.

After I found the binocular objective lens covers I decided to try them on the Bushnell scope. The outside diameters were just under 40mm, 38 and change for the eyepiece and 39 for the objective lens. After studying their size chart I ordered the 38/39mm covers. I got them today and they fit perfectly. I had to install them so they fall to the side a bit so they clear the lenses when you pop them off. So far so good, I like these and if they hold up I may get some for the Leupold on the Marlin 1895SS.

These lens covers are called Opticron and are sold on both eBay and Amazon and they have a website for their size charts.

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-produ...ve-lens-covers

https://www.amazon.com/Opticron-Rubb...9450082&sr=8-1

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Scope Lens Covers

I was looking for flip up, clear caps for a scope, but gave up after seeing about 100 different sizes and having no way to measure with the precision needed to buy the correct size.

(Chester County)

If you can use a sewing tape you can measure the circumference of the end of the scope tube. Then by using racist math find the diameter by dividing the circumference by pi (3.14). With Butler creek they have different size specs for the eyepiece and for the objective lenses. I highly recommend that you not waste your money on the Butler Creek clear "blizzard" caps. They absolutely suck and won't stay locked down. Butler Creek also has the tactical covers that is the same idea as the Opticron I've shown that have a rubber hinge instead of the spring loaded hard plastic hinge.

The Monstrum ones on Amazon are fairly inexpensive and have rubber boots for attachment to the scope so there is a fudge factor built in where your measurements don't have to be exact. One other thing though, you can get digital calipers for pretty cheap and they have a thousand uses. It's one of the recommend restoration tools for restoring bicycles because size matters. Maybe someone near you will let you borrow theirs or will measure it for you. Either way stay away from the Butler Creek clear ones, this advice is from experience.

https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Rubb...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

(Chester County)

(Bucks County)

You can get a precise measurement of something round a cheap way. Do your best to measure it eyeing a ruler on the object. Carefully cut that measurement from the side of a rectangular piece of paper or cardboard in the form of a square. If you were correct, you'll be able to slide the square cut-out over the object with no gap. If too tight, open up one side the amount needed. If too loose, cut another one, smaller. When it fits, that's the size. Measure the open square from side to side with the ruler.

Gonna look into those Opticrons. Thanks!
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.