Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Your routine drills per range trip; or even dry firing at home ?

I try to have two gun clubs, so I can do different types of shooting. I have access to a farm that allows me endless training. The drive is 1.5hrs from my house, but I decided that it's very important for my daughter and my training to make that long drive. Practicing different shooting scenarios is very important. So is actually shooting as many have ammo forts, but choose to have high post counts instead of actually sending lead down range.

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    I have several different courses of fire that incorporate different drills that my wife and I use when we go out to practice. Some are for indoor ranges, some are for outdoor ranges.

Staple drills usually include draw while moving off line, strong hand & weak hand shooting, failure to stop drills, empty load & tac load drills, malfunction clearance drills, shooting from cover - standing or kneeling. Sometimes we also include pivots and turns, multiple threats, and some shoot/no shoot drills.
    Having access to a range that lets us practice our defensive pistol skills is a big priority for us.

I usually practice El Prez a lot when dry firing. It's a really good drill since you . I usually do them at 10 and 20 yards. You can throw in concealment or face down range instead of up range to start. I try to vary between doing at fast as I possibly can not worrying about sight picture, then as fast as I can trying to get a good sight picture. You really need to set a par time to see how you're doing.

(Union County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    I have several different courses of fire that incorporate different drills that my wife and I use when we go out to practice. Some are for indoor ranges, some are for outdoor ranges.

Staple drills usually include draw while moving off line, strong hand & weak hand shooting, failure to stop drills, empty load & tac load drills, malfunction clearance drills, shooting from cover - standing or kneeling. Sometimes we also include pivots and turns, multiple threats, and some shoot/no shoot drills.

Having access to a range that lets us practice our defensive pistol skills is a big priority for us.
    Some clubs, such as one I'm in, are adding restrictions on such practice.
    Mine is now requiring single round loading for semiauto rifles.
    And restricting no of rounds in handguns.
    Wrong direction IMHO.

Time to find a new club.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin_in_PA View Post
    Wrong direction IMHO.

Time to find a new club.
    Yes indeed, over the past 35 years we have had the ability to shoot at ranges/clubs that have allowed us to practice our defensive pistol skills. Starting out in KY, then WA, and now PA. Sometimes it has required a bit of a drive - but that is just the trade off. They are out there...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin_in_PA View Post
    Wrong direction IMHO.

Time to find a new club.
    I would let them know why too and it’s because of people like them that help to suppress gun ownership through the Destruction of the shooting sports. They should be progressing with the times when it comes to competitions and shooting platforms not regressing the MSR back to the 1700’s. Why not make AR shooters use a freaking ram rod too.

Fucking clowns!

(Washington County)

Most clubs are what the membership steers them to be or allows them to be. With a touch of insurance policy requirements.

I try to do dot torture every range trip. Other than that I set up multiple uspsa targets and just do some exercises.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12