Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Your routine drills per range trip; or even dry firing at home ?

IF there's already a thread on this subject; please direct me to it.

When I go to the range. There are three drills that I try to do every time:

1. Draw and shoot.
      I setup the target at about 10 feet. And without any prep; I draw and shoot it.
      The philosophy behind this drill is that it best mimics a real life self defense situation. And let's you know how good or rusty your skills are.
      How I do with this one shot determines how my other drills will go.
      I believe I got this idea from Reid Henrichs; either his book "Pistol Craft", his Youtube videos, or both.

2. Squeeze me
      After doing that first drill. I then spend a minute of practicing gripping my handgun.
      I get my grip on handgun in fire position, then tighten my grip until my muscles start to shake.
      I'll do this a few times.
      The philosophy behind this drill is to learn exactly how hard you can actually grip the gun.
      I got this drill from Grant Cunningham's book "Handgun Training".

3. Three targets.
      Shoot at three targets lined up in a row, one after the other.
      Left target shoot with two handed grip.
      Center target strong hand only.
      Right target week hand only.
      I generally shoot one to three mags on this drill.
      And will sometimes throw in a few double or triple taps.
      I got this drill from Reid Henrichs, from one of his Youtube videos.

Sometimes there are other drills I will do.
    But these are the three drills I try to do every time and usually are the only drills I will do.
    And I even do these drills dry firing at home.

Dry firing at home. I have one other drill.
    Using a brightly lit wall as target. I aim at nothing imparticular.
    Rather I'll use the brightly lit wall to have a good view of my sight alignment and concentrate on not having it move while I pull the trigger.

What drills does everyone else have as their core drills ?
    --ET

(York County)

Default Re: Your routine drills per range trip; or even dry firing at home ?

I can tell you I've added one recently based on the current situation. It's meant to replicate (somewhat) various situations I might encounter these days.

If I had to label it I'd call it "draw and triple-tap x 3"

Basically I set up a target at each and of the range and one in the middle. That gives me ~45-degree span between the outer two.

I draw and do body/body/head on each of the three. My goal is 3 kill shots on each, but what I really judge myself on is the first shot on each being a kill.

Obviously, to do this properly you have to have a range where a) you can be alone and b) you're allowed to shoot from in front of any 'stalls'. Luckily I belong to a club that affords me both options on both indoor & outdoor ranges.
    DGAF

Reid Henrichs has some good ones taken from his Valor Ridge training classes, he will do a better job of explaining them then me.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bVjgQ49TLl_M3A

Just an FYI my club runs defensive pistol matches which is all centered around more realistic concealed carry rather then running and gunning and blazing away on the trigger. You have to draw from concealment , and use a pistol like a Glock 19 or smaller, you do shoot from behind cover and on the clock. I just spoke with the guy who heads it up and while there will not be one this month there will be one on October 11th and November 15th as of now. Outsiders are welcome to come and I think it costs like $10.00 at this time.

(York County)

Buy a book from Steve Anderson or Ben Stoeger and you will have more dryfire drills that you will have time to do.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I like to mix it up, with multiple targets, varying distances and positions, getting off the X, reloads, malfunction drills. Pistol and AR. That's why I drive 50 minutes to PMSC. None of the clubs near me have ranges where I can do any of that. I have little interest in shooting with strangers at a square range.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Just an FYI my club runs defensive pistol matches which is all centered around more realistic concealed carry rather then running and gunning and blazing away on the trigger. You have to draw from concealment , and use a pistol like a Glock 19 or smaller, you do shoot from behind cover and on the clock. I just spoke with the guy who heads it up and while there will not be one this month there will be one on October 11th and November 15th as of now. Outsiders are welcome to come and I think it costs like $10.00 at this time.
    What club is it??

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    What club is it??
    Ontelaunee in New Tripoli.

(Allegheny County)

I have several different courses of fire that incorporate different drills that my wife and I use when we go out to practice. Some are for indoor ranges, some are for outdoor ranges.

Staple drills usually include draw while moving off line, strong hand & weak hand shooting, failure to stop drills, empty load & tac load drills, malfunction clearance drills, shooting from cover - standing or kneeling. Sometimes we also include pivots and turns, multiple threats, and some shoot/no shoot drills.

Having access to a range that lets us practice our defensive pistol skills is a big priority for us.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

I've been known to set up obstacle courses with various types and heights of targets, as well as a barrier at the "starting line" that you have to start behind, backwards, with gun in holster. One range trip I spotted an old metal chair tossed in the woods and incorporated that. I set up enough targets so that even if you shoot perfect like me, you'll still need to drop and change the mag before finishing.

In a real life situation, you won't be standing still and shooting at a non-moving target. You have to be able to factor in drawing and firing, movement of yourself and the target(s), and getting behind barriers for safety.

My wife does well on them, pretty fun actually. I don't do them with the kids yet because I don't want them having an accident while running with a gun. I di however set up fun targets for them since paper can get boring. They like hitting water balloons.

I'll probably get kicked out of the range/club if a board member shows up while I'm doing it.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast