Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default LTCF Clarification

With recent happenings I wanted to brush up on the laws pertaining to rifles vs pistols and such, so understanding the carry laws pertaining to pistols got me curious as to how it works with rifles. Were my confusion comes in is if having an ltcf applies the same rules to rifles as it does pistols. I understand that rifles are not to be loaded or ammo has to be separated in vehicles for example which came about for poaching reasons, but what if you have your ltcf? Does it apply to being able to transport just certain firearms, or does the same laws apply in general for all firearms equally? I would think the ladder but its nice to have someone more knowledgeable then me answer this. I always applied the laws to rifles different, as they read but without realizing an ltcf should null and void those processes vs not having one, or I could be wrong?

Default Re: LTCF Clarification

Rifles are not covered under LTCF since a rifle doesn't fit the classification of firearm in PA.
    An ar pistol however does fall under the classification of firearm and can be carried loaded.

(Berks County)

Thats what I always thought as explained but, recently someone told me to relook at it since they were under the expression an ltcf covered all firearms.

(Berks County)

Nope, like SIGFAN posted, LTCF has no effect on rifle regulations. Unloaded and ammo in a separate container. Loaded mags in a pocket on the outside of a soft case qualify as that separate container.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Clinton County)

Just make sure your barrel is less than fifteen inches for a pistol loaded in a vehicle with a LTCF.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Jefferson County)

At no time can a loaded rifle or shotgun be in/on/upon a vehicle - (except some disabled hunters and other exemptions). Having a LTCF doesn't matter.

A LTCF only apply to rifles and shotguns within a City of the First Class(Philly) or during a State of Emergency - that LTCF allows you to carry a rifle/shotgun openly or concealed on public domain (but still not loaded in a vehicle).

Outside of Philly or absent a State of Emergency, no LTCF is required to carry a rifle/shotgun loaded or unloaded, openly or concealed. But still cannot have a loaded rifle/shotgun in a vehicle.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    At no time can a loaded rifle or shotgun be in/on/upon a vehicle - (except some disabled hunters and other exemptions). Having a LTCF doesn't matter.

A LTCF only apply to rifles and shotguns within a City of the First Class(Philly) or during a State of Emergency - that LTCF allows you to carry a rifle/shotgun openly or concealed on public domain (but still not loaded in a vehicle).

Outside of Philly or absent a State of Emergency, no LTCF is required to carry a rifle/shotgun loaded or unloaded, openly or concealed. But still cannot have a loaded rifle/shotgun in a vehicle.
    Not being funny... What is vehicle defined as? Atv? Bicycle? Wagon? Skateboard?

-Zach

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

This has always been my understanding. Thank you for clarifying.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Not being funny... What is vehicle defined as? Atv? Bicycle? Wagon? Skateboard?

-Zach
    If it has wheels and is used in any way to convey travel, it can and will be used against you.

Just like DUIs on your own property, mowing the grass while drinking a beer. (Numerous people have been charged for that)

Skateboards and rollerblades would even qualify.
    A lib would even count someone pushing you in a wheelbarrow.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    If it has wheels and is used in any way to convey travel, it can and will be used against you.

Just like DUIs on your own property, mowing the grass while drinking a beer. (Numerous people have been charged for that)

Skateboards and rollerblades would even qualify.
    A lib would even count someone pushing you in a wheelbarrow.
    Mostly correct. The definition tracks back to the Motor Vehicle Code definition of "conveyance". Interestingly, there is a specific exemption for motorized wheelchairs/mobility devices, but a "regular" manual wheelchair is not included in that exemption and would presumably require a LTCF if the user were armed. I believe horses (no wheels) and other animals one might ride upon are also considered "conveyances."

https://www.pennlago.com/pennsylvani...ceed-caution/?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast