Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
When people say "best" it means different things to different people. It all boils down to how much you want to spend. I mean the Marvel 1911 22LR conversions are the best for the 1911, but they are not budget friendly. At that point, some would just buy an entire pistol instead of dumping that much money on a 22LR slide.
You have that so correct! On the north side of $400 your choice is a Unit 1 which IIRC is a fine machine for those interested in having a 1911 pistol for their NRA Conventional Pistol matches and accessorized with adjustable iron sights or red dot sight or again IIRC a top rib that can handle both. BTW the Unit 1 is reputedly capable of cleaning a 50 yard slow fire target. Standard velocity ammo only.
The Unit 2 is for those who want to use .22 LR for practice with their 1911, very accurate, reliable, uses high velocity .22 LR. Adjustable iron sights. (I have one. Right now it mounted on a Caspian frame, with internals from my original Clark Heavy Slide Series 70 Colt). Great for teaching newbies the ways of hte M1911 family of firearms without having them go recoil shy.