Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Who can actually afford to shoot right now?

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    For me it's not currently a matter of being able to afford going to the range.
    My practicing at the range rarely involves more than 50 rounds per trip.
    So I've got enough stock to do my regular handgun training for about a year before it makes a large enough dent in my reserves that I'd need to buy some more.

For me it's a matter of my local range; of which I am a member; having fallen for this covid BS hook, line, and sinker.
    Here's an example of clubs new bs rules:

• Face masks and gloves must be worn until further notice.
    • No more then three people at anyone range at a time separated by 6 feet.
    • Everyone must stay in there vehicle until a space has opened at the range you wish to use.
    • Until the pandemic lessens, no guest will be permitted.
      • Everyone will be notified when guests are once again permitted.
    • No food or drinks allowed until further notice.
      • You can leave drinks, etc. in your vehicle.
    • Only target waste is to be placed in the trash cans, everything else goes with you when you leave!
    • No matter how slight, If you even think you maybe sick STAY HOME.
    • If you feel you cannot follow these temporary rules, you must not nor will you be permitted to use the grounds.

So I haven't been to the range for a few months now.
    And what's worse. Is the club board member who is basically running the show at the club.
    Is also a trainer who I use to take several courses with each year. And he has applied this same covid bs to his courses.
    So I have not taken the courses either.
    Yikes!

Those rules aren't conducive to a good time.

The local indoor range has a strict no mask policy with a sign out front saying if you are afraid if the virus, don't come in.

The outdoor range additionally has masks for the indoor areas but outside, it is just keep your distance.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Listening to the rest of you, I feel better about my range every day. Our president is a local business owner and a man with common sense. Rules are posted regarding distancing in compliance with tyrant mandates but I doubt that anyone's enforcing them. I have the liberty to shoot during the week and have yet to have to wait for a spot to shoot, which is good, I don't wait for anything.
    My range is similar to yours. I took a class there in June and it said to social distance when possible, but no masks due to safety concerns with the heat and you know wthe people showing up with firearms and walking around with them so it's nice know faces. Guest access opened up when Lehigh Valley went green so no trouble there either. The only thing they ask is try to distance from others who are not in your party, and they canceled the club picnic this year.

I have been there a few times outside of classes and competitions this summer and people seem like they just want to talk and shoot the shit with not much concern for whats going on which I am more then fine with as long as your not up in my grill. I saw one gentleman with his very elderly father who appeared to be very weak so we set up on the opposite side of the line and the younger guy mouthed thank you to us which was just fine.

The new scope I ordered should be coming in on Tuesday, getting mounted on Wednesday so if all goes well with the weather I will be there on Thursday.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Listening to the rest of you, I feel better about my range every day. Our president is a local business owner and a man with common sense. Rules are posted regarding distancing in compliance with tyrant mandates but I doubt that anyone's enforcing them. I have the liberty to shoot during the week and have yet to have to wait for a spot to shoot, which is good, I don't wait for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Yikes!

Those rules aren't conducive to a good time.

The local indoor range has a strict no mask policy with a sign out front saying if you are afraid if the virus, don't come in.

The outdoor range additionally has masks for the indoor areas but outside, it is just keep your distance.

-Zach
    This range has always been a little fuddish.
    So their current covid rules has me considering not renewing my membership this Dec.
    --ET

The thing is, even when ammo is "cheap", it isn't cheap. Stacking 200$ cases of 9mm once a week or even once a month might be in some peoples' budgets, but most people buy boxes of ammo or a case if they can afford it in.

If you have those resources, more power to you (literally).

-Zach
    Amazing how much longer your ammo supply/budget lasts if you actually aim and fire instead of a 16~30-shot ''pray & spray'' barrage as fast as you can pull the trigger. Which is the predominant shooting style I see at the range these days.

Perhaps ammo should be a free entitlement for certain income levels?

I have a number of vintage military 9mm pistols , but it is one of my least consumed cartridges. I still have 1 or 2 cases from when ya could get a 1000rd/case of 124gr S&B or Fiocchi for $99 shipped to my door.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    This range has always been a little fuddish.
    So their current covid rules has me considering not renewing my membership this Dec.
    If you decide not to rejoin check out Ontelaunee.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Amazing how much longer your ammo supply/budget lasts if you actually aim and fire instead of a 16~30-shot ''pray & spray'' barrage as fast as you can pull the trigger. Which is the predominant shooting style I see at the range these days.

Perhaps ammo should be a free entitlement for certain income levels?

I have a number of vintage military 9mm pistols , but it is one of my least consumed cartridges. I still have 1 or 2 cases from when ya could get a 1000rd/case of 124gr S&B or Fiocchi for $99 shipped to my door.
    You aren't wrong about spray and pray. I see it at the pistol range more than the rifle range. I took 2 hours last night at the range and didn't even go through 100 rounds.

The pistol range makes their money on ammo sales and open lanes for new shooters. They don't care how fast you burn through the ammo. The faster you run out, the sooner the Lane is open again.

-Zach

You aren't wrong about spray and pray. I see it at the pistol range more than the rifle range. I took 2 hours last night at the range and didn't even go through 100 rounds.

The pistol range makes their money on ammo sales and open lanes for new shooters. They don't care how fast you burn through the ammo. The faster you run out, the sooner the Lane is open again.

-Zach
    It all depends on what your training for and what you like. Bullseye and benched rifle group shooting to me is for the birds, if that was all I could do then I would sell 90% of my firearms and almost never hit the range. I enjoy defensive shooting and that's what I like to train or practice for when I am by myself. Drawing from concealment and putting a number of shots down range as accurately as possible within a specific amount of time then trying to improve upon that with time and accuracy. My club has a defensive pistol match every month which is basically what I stated above using an approved concealed carry rig, drawing from concealment and shooting from cover on the clock.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    It all depends on what your training for and what you like. Bullseye shooting to me is for the birds, if that was all I could do then I would sell 90% of my firearms and rarely hit the range. I enjoy defensive shooting and that's what I like to train or practice for when I am by myself. Drawing from concealment and putting a number of shots down range as accurately as possible within a specific amount of time then trying to improve upon that with time and accuracy. My club has a defensive pistol match every month which is basically what I stated above using an approved concealed carry rig, drawing from concealment and shooting from cover on the clock.
    Pretty much prohibited at all of the ranges i go to. I wish it weren't. But i totally understand why it is. I've seen a lot of evidence of bullets in places where they should never be.

-Zach

Pretty much prohibited at all of the ranges i go to. I wish it weren't. But i totally understand why it is. I've seen a lot of evidence of bullets in places where they should never be.

-Zach
    Indoors I would agree it’s too tight an area in most. I’ve been to outdoor ranges that held the same rules as most indoors and it’s a no go for me. The range I use is 50 minutes from me but they actually allow members to do this type of shooting in specific places on the range. There are ranges 10 minutes away from me that have more rules and laws then the ATF.

No thanks.

And I thought the prices for ammo at firearms auctions was ridiculous during the Buckwheat presidency. 500rd bricks of old .22lr - $100ea, 200rd 'battlepaks' of 7.62 - $250.

Can't wait for the next one at Alderfer's.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast