Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Severely overgassed 7.62x39 rifle - Adjustable gas block recommendations?

I built this 7.62x39 rifle and it shot pretty reliably the first few times while I was getting it setting up. Well, I wanted to dimple the barrel so my gas block would be more secure and apparently, when I put it on originally, it was off center because now that the jig lined it up properly, it is WAY overgassed. Multiple failures to extract with rounds getting smashed into spent casings per magazine, I had to mortar the gun 4 times in 150 rounds, and I'm already using an H2 buffer. It seems to me that getting a slightly heavier buffer is not going to solve anything if it's that bad with the H2 so I have two options as I see it; back the gas block off slightly and let less gas in OR buy an adjustable gas block. My concern with the first option (which would cost me nothing ...) is that I somehow damage the gas port by covering part of it, it erodes, and I eventually end up right back at being overgassed, not running reliably, and have to buy a new barrel. Anyway, I'm looking at the Strike Industries block that adjusts with a ring at the back collar but it's a clamp on. I've never used a clamp on block so I don't know if there's any real downside to them, it's just unfamiliar to me. What adjustable blocks are you guys using? I should mention that this is a carbine length gas system under a 13" STNGR RPTR handguard so it's gonna be a long reach if the adjustment is made from the front via some sort of hex screw. Last time I had an adjustable block, I had the handguard off to do my tuning though so I guess that's an option.

One last thing; will I be better served with a carbine weight buffer once I get the adjustable block or is there a reason for me to stick with the H2?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Severely overgassed 7.62x39 rifle - Adjustable gas block recommendations?

SLR Rifleworks makes great adjustable gas blocks.
    Way more money than many others, but the quality difference is notable.
    https://slrrifleworks.com/gas-blocks...sh/adjustable/

I used one on my wife's lightweight build. Nice, positive clicks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Severely overgassed 7.62x39 rifle - Adjustable gas block recommendations?

I used a Seekin's Precision adjustable gas block on my 7.62x39 (midlength) carbine.
    https://seekinsprecision.com/low-pro...gas-block.html

Just a basic adjustable gas block.

EDIT:

Looking at my build thread, I used a standard 3oz carbine buffer in it.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I used a Seekin's Precision adjustable gas block on my 7.62x39 (midlength) carbine.
    https://seekinsprecision.com/low-pro...gas-block.html

Just a basic adjustable gas block.

EDIT:

Looking at my build thread, I used a standard 3oz carbine buffer in it.
    Thanks, buddy. I'll take a look at those two blocks and put the carbine weight buffer back in. I'll probably go with the SLR because quality has become a lot more important to me this year. If ammo isn't going to be readily available for who knows how much longer, I'd rather just spend the extra money, get a better part, and not fuck up one of the few trips I can make to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    SLR Rifleworks makes great adjustable gas blocks.
    Way more money than many others, but the quality difference is notable.
    https://slrrifleworks.com/gas-blocks...sh/adjustable/

I used one on my wife's lightweight build. Nice, positive clicks.
    Another vote for SLR gas blocks

I have them on 2 rifles with LaRue Stealth barrels

(Allegheny County)

Superlative bleed off

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Superlative bleed off
    Superlative Arms - yes, another highly recommended adjustable gas block.
    I knew there was one I was forgetting

(Delaware County)

Seekins, SLR & Superlative are all good. Also quite expensive, the Seekins being most affordable. A few years ago through my exhausting research, I came across this clamp on style adjustable gas block. Made of 1018 steel & Nitride treated. I*ve used them on several rifles for these last 3 years & they perform wonderfully. Was originally designed by several people and being made by several machine shops who then sell to many manufacturers.

Remember that *Names* & *Logos* cost money...but they don*t dictate Quality. Quality it outlined through materials & machining. The adjustable gas block is a very simple component. It works exactly like a faucet. Best part about this one besides it*s toughness, performance & being made in USA, is its price. These can be found sold by several manufacturers for under $35! Some places dealing them are At3tactical, Wojtek, WMD, Mentium..to name a few. Remember though, NONE of these places actually MAKE them. They simply buy & resell them. (Which is the normal thing in the firearms world...just people don*t know.)

Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Northampton County)

Another option is the KNS Adjustable Gas Piston. Easier alteration than swapping the gas block IMO. I have a GB/FSB combo so I could not have gone with an adjustable block without changing more than would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eighthmonkey View Post
    Another option is the KNS Adjustable Gas Piston. Easier alteration than swapping the gas block IMO. I have a GB/FSB combo so I could not have gone with an adjustable block without changing more than would be needed.
    Good suggestion if the OP had an AK. This is for an AR running 7.62x39.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast