Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Bear season is right around the corner

I've never bear hunted before. Is there much of a science to it other than getting a couple of guys together and going out and stomping around in the woods?
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Bear season is right around the corner

Just like deer, successful (not lucky) bear hunters scout and put in their time. Look for food sources, check for bear sign, etc. Bears can cover a lot of ground in a day, but if you find good food with bear sign in an area it's a good bet a bear or two is hanging around that area. Two archery seasons in a row I had bear hit the same apple tree several times while I was hunting for deer. Bear tracks and bear droppings were around the area and the bear kept coming through the same trail. I used to have a video on my phone, but that phone died on me before I transfered it off.

But as you stated, most PA bear hunters get in groups and push an area out and shoot anything black that runs out. I think properly identifying that is an adult bear and not a cub or mother with cubs is an important skill many PA bear hunters lack because they are so surprised to even see a bear they just shoot (not all of course, I don't mean to generalize so severely). They regs say don't shoot a cub, but that is not really enforced. Just hang a round a check station and see how man little ones come through, the hunters ALWAYS say they thought it was bigger.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Maybe if baiting was allowed less little ones would be killed, you can get a look when baiting to see if its a sow with cubs, or the general size of the bear next to the bait cans. Of course with baiting probably more bear would be killed too, but it's only a 3 day season or whatever. I know some folks say baiting is not fair chase, but for management purposes it works to help thin bears out effeciently and a higher boar take can be made as well, less cubs killed or orphaned if hunters take the time to see if a couple little ones run in a few minutes after a bigger bear comes in. In Canada the bears are thicker in #'s and trapping of them with foot snares is allowed, and more than 1 can be taken. With a multi buddy system, the cubs can be released alive and unhurt. Of course management systems like this only work if the hunters aren't a bunch of yahoos, and from what I hear about PA, yahoo-ism is rather rampant, esp on the SGL's and other public lands open to hunting.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop650 View Post
    ... They regs say don't shoot a cub, but that is not really enforced. ...
    There is no longer an age or size restriction for bears in PA.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ret-Fed View Post
    There is no longer an age or size restriction for bears in PA.
    I see that now, I stand corrected. I should have checked before I posted. I might have to write some letters, I don't agree with that at all.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

I saw one up at my parent's cabin on the other side of the lake this summer. Scouted around the local SGL and saw TONS of bear scat and lots of blueberry bushes which they obviously like to frequent.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coop650 View Post
    I see that now, I stand corrected. I should have checked before I posted. I might have to write some letters, I don't agree with that at all.
    It's probably not a bad regulation since many people are unable to properly determine the size of a lone bear in the woods. The result is the cubs are shot, and left to lay in some cases. Under the current regs, any bear is legal and can be considered a trophy.

(Fayette County)

Well game identification is part of hunting. I think allowing hunters to shoot any bear they see is a mistake. I have no idea how anyone claim a cub as a trophy. They are young and dumb and the easiest to kill, no trophy there. They call it Hunting, not killing, for a reason.

(Franklin County)

Since many people do not have opportunities to see a lot of bear in the wild, when they do see a bear during hunting season, and especially if it is a lone bear at a distance, they often believe the bear is bigger than it actually is.

What is better, shoot a cub and kick some leaves over it, or tag it and accept it for what it is?

(Allegheny County)

it took me 9 years of hard scouting, patterning, and a few missed shots to finally get my first black bear in PA. i'll be heading back to camp this year again and try to get another one. i took my first one in 2005 and haven't gotten one since.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast