Default Re: AR15 madizines

Here's another good source for good USGI mags
    https://dsgarms.com/magazines-dsg-4401-0006
    10 pack Grey Teflon 30 rd USGI with Magpul followers $98
    Shipping is $7, but they often have free shipping or $5 shipping
    $105 total for 10 - $10.50 each/shipped

(Allegheny County)

PMAG 10 pack $99.99 + $18.50 shipping, which is absurd, but right now all you can do is compare final prices after shipping.

https://www.surplusammo.com/products...k-10-pack.html

(Allegheny County)

The Magshack is about $13 shipping for 10 PMAGs
    https://themagshack.com/

(Allegheny County)

Primary Arms is a trusted vendor
    Prices vary depending on what's on sale at the time
    https://www.primaryarms.com/CaliberG...R-15-Magazines

(Montgomery County)

Lanbosarmory has great mag deals. Gotta add to your cart to see the prices some times

I've used hexmags with no complaints when magpul was scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    JeniferG nailed it. I have some of both the Magpul and D&H aluminum, and like both. The whole world, seemingly, has gone to polymer magazines, and since the price difference at her links is only $1.30, the choice is pretty much one of preference.

Civilians seem to want whatever the High Speed Low Drag crowd uses, but for home defense use, even an occasional carbine course, I think the aluminum are fine. It's one of those hotly debated things in firearms (1911 .45 vs everything else, 'best' round to use in the AR, best red dot sight, etc), but from what I've read they are pretty much equivalent. For every guy who's "bought my own P-Mags in the sandbox because USGI were crap." I can find another guy who will only use good quality metal mags (D&H, OKAY, C Products) with the anti-tilt followers. The fact is both can and do fail, both are considered disposable items--you plan to replace them eventually--and both will likely server you very well.

Maybe it's just because I'm an old fart, set in my ways (Get off my lawn!) I slightly prefer the metal mags, but I honestly think people overthink AR magazines to death. Get some, have spares, and if they start to look worn, put them in the range use only box. Be happy.

Jennifer, boy those are some memories, $5.99 for D&H. I got loads of them, too! Sigh. Maybe if Trump is reelected we'll see that again. But general societal decline will likely keep them up for a while. Still, those Palmetto State prices are not bad, even historically.
    Speaking from both experience as both a USMC infantryman and a civilian AR15 owner, the important difference between PMags and aluminum mags (assuming a quality manufacturer) is the ability to leave them loaded.

I had a lot of problems with my M16A2 and a lot had to do with double feeds. The double feeds were caused by aluminum mags with deformed feed lips. The deformed feed lips were caused by mags being loaded at or near capacity and the spring putting pressure on the rounds, pushing the feed lips out. Then multiple rounds push out the top. Sometimes even when the mag was inserted or handled roughly.

One of PMags' most important contributions was the storage caps. The storage cap actually applies pressure to the top round to push it down so it doesnt apply pressure to lips.

So can aluminum mags be reliable? Yes
    Is it a good idea to buy Aluminum mags with an unknown history or use them to keep stored and stacked with ammo? Probably not
    Buy quality aluminum mags if you want, use them and maintain them, but IMO stack ammo in "Ready to Go" PMags and use the top cover. This will give you the best odds of success.
    YMMV

(Allegheny County)

I swear I read something that said that stuff about dust covers "relieving pressure" on pmags for long term storage us an internet myth.

I have to see if I can find it, but I thought it came from Magpul themselves.
    I have been wrong before though.

(Montgomery County)

Honestly, this is one of those questions that simply cannot be answered definitively and ends up being personal preference. One's usage may indicate one or the other, but I still maintain that for most of us civilians, either polymer or good quality aluminum will be just fine. We have to realize both are disposables, and you have to monitor them and relegate questionable ones to range use only.

Chauncey is right, that using polymer mags with pressure relieving covers is probably ideal, not least of which because the cover may help protect feed lips in a drop on them. Aluminum mags are prone to feedlip spreading when dropped, polymers are prone to cracks when dropped on the feedlips. Other than Chauncey's post I have not read any complaints about feedlips actually spreading simply from being loaded, and not also being dropped. I'm not saying it cannot happen, I just think there is a lot of Internet echo about this and it may be more urban legend than actual fact.

I've always loaded my mags with 28, not recommending it, just what I do. But I'd leave aluminum mags loaded with 28 rounds for years and grab them when BLM-tifas roll by and be perfectly happy using them, YMMV, of course. I do think polymer mags with covers on is probably the best way to go, lose the covers if BLM-tifas start shit in your vicinity, they won't go bad in a matter of weeks, that's for sure, and you can replace the covers later when things cool down.

I'm keeping all my good mags, both metal and polymer and not replacing any of them unless they show signs of damage. I'm really indifferent to which I use.

I mentioned the instructor who recommends loading only 29, I found him, video below. Starts with typical YouTube time wasting, start at 2:30 for just the facts, ma'am.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I swear I read something that said that stuff about dust covers "relieving pressure" on pmags for long term storage us an internet myth.

I have to see if I can find it, but I thought it came from Magpul themselves.
    I have been wrong before though.
    A thermoplastic under load is going to creep over time. The only question is how much.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast