Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pin & Weld??

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pin & Weld??

Unless I had a smoking deal, I'd throw the 14.5" barrel away and get a 16" and be done with it.

It can be too costly to make a rifle out of it and for ME, that's way too long for a PISTOL. (and I refuse to play the $200 game with the feds)

OK, I wouldn't throw it away, I'd sell it, but yeah - sometimes a 14.5" barrel can complicate things.
    I have one on one of my carbines, but I bought it already pinned/welded.

(Berks County)

No luck with Superior Gunsmithing due to lead times. Still looking if anyone else has some suggestions.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Unless I had a smoking deal, I'd throw the 14.5" barrel away and get a 16" and be done with it.

It can be too costly to make a rifle out of it and for ME, that's way too long for a PISTOL. (and I refuse to play the $200 game with the feds)

OK, I wouldn't throw it away, I'd sell it, but yeah - sometimes a 14.5" barrel can complicate things.
    Its a weight and mobility thing for me. Always wanted to do a 14.5 build for these reasons. Ill just slap an sb3 on it till I can find a place to do it that doesnt have crazy lead times right now, not a big deal. The cost of less then $50 is ok with me, its a lot better then the $200 like you said.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ykman1 View Post
    Its a weight and mobility thing for me. Always wanted to do a 14.5 build for these reasons. Ill just slap an sb3 on it till I can find a place to do it that doesnt have crazy lead times right now, not a big deal. The cost of less then $50 is ok with me, its a lot better then the $200 like you said.
    how much weight does 2" save you?..

(Lackawanna County)

I have a 10.5, 14.5 16 and 18. The weight difference is not much different between the 14.5 and 16 with similar contour barrels. If I had to pick one up with my eyes closed I don’t think I could tell.

(Clinton County)

To me a 14.5 has it's place, pretty much the maximum velocity and accuracy out of an AR pistol that can still be loaded in a vehicle with a LTCF.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Berks County)

So.. I already have a 16 light boy, and I absolutely love it. A 16 vs 14.5 in a light barrel is 23 vs 18 oz. Sure, its only a 5 oz difference but, when coupled with a lighter this and lighter that it all adds up. Weight and mobility go hand and hand. Its like loading up a carrier. Everybody wants 5lb ceramics for a reason right? Once you load up mags and such on it, its already at x amount even without the plates. Not sure why some people dont get this. Unless everyone saying this spends their time sitting and shooting, which is fine, and then I can understand where your coming from.

(Allegheny County)

Pencil barrel for the win.

I'm done with anything else.

(Berks County)

Pencil barrel for the win. I'm done with anything else.
    Exactly what I am referring to. Once you have one your next build turns into "how can I go even lighter with keeping near same ballistics". Something you or someone else did say that Im thinking makes a little more sense for certain reasons is to just keep it unpinned. I just wish I could find a better adjustable brace option then an sb3.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ykman1 View Post
    So as long as its 2"+ I should be ok then?
    The overall length of the muzzle attachment means nothing, Its the unthreaded length that is critical. the only way to be sure is thread it on properly tightened and indexed as it should, drop a rod down the barrel that rests against the bolt face, mark it at the end of the hider or brake, that length needs to be 16" or longer to be non SBR legal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast