Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default New deer loading system

So, my dad and I decided to try something new this year. We both hunt in 5D, in high dollar areas. Basically all the landowners don't want us to gut the deer on their property, which isn't an issue. Our goal is to minimize the time we are on the properties after the deer is shot, so as to minimize what the landowners and neighbors see or may see. (Helps to not piss people off, so we can keep hunting these spots) Usually, we drag the deer back and since we both use pickups, trying to get an adult deer in the back can be challenging. I know we could use the hitch baskets, but again, being discreet is key. So, I tried strapping the deer onto a piece of plywood and lifting it into the bed last year. Didn't work the way I wanted. So, this year, we both bought the 2500lb badlands winch from harbor freight and came up with ways to mount them to the bed tie downs. Basically running the winch off a standalone battery strapped down in the bed. My plan is to strap the deer onto a custom cart I'm building that I'll be able to hook the winch to, and drag everything up in to the bed. I know there are hitch hoists that will do the work too, but they take up a decent amount of room in the bed, are fairly heavy and take time to put together. With this setup, the winch hook will already be clipped on the rear bed tie down, release the cable with the remote, clip it on the sled, and drag everything up, close the tailgate and off I go.
    This is the setup I came up with. The battery should be in tomorrow (picking up a new battery for the truck and swapping the old battery into winch duty)

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New deer loading system

I could not stand abiding by those snowflake conditions. They want deer off to save their precious gardens and trees and are using you.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdan View Post
    So, my dad and I decided to try something new this year. We both hunt in 5D, in high dollar areas. Basically all the landowners don't want us to gut the deer on their property, which isn't an issue. Our goal is to minimize the time we are on the properties after the deer is shot, so as to minimize what the landowners and neighbors see or may see. (Helps to not piss people off, so we can keep hunting these spots) Usually, we drag the deer back and since we both use pickups, trying to get an adult deer in the back can be challenging. I know we could use the hitch baskets, but again, being discreet is key. So, I tried strapping the deer onto a piece of plywood and lifting it into the bed last year. Didn't work the way I wanted. So, this year, we both bought the 2500lb badlands winch from harbor freight and came up with ways to mount them to the bed tie downs. Basically running the winch off a standalone battery strapped down in the bed. My plan is to strap the deer onto a custom cart I'm building that I'll be able to hook the winch to, and drag everything up in to the bed. I know there are hitch hoists that will do the work too, but they take up a decent amount of room in the bed, are fairly heavy and take time to put together. With this setup, the winch hook will already be clipped on the rear bed tie down, release the cable with the remote, clip it on the sled, and drag everything up, close the tailgate and off I go.
    This is the setup I came up with. The battery should be in tomorrow (picking up a new battery for the truck and swapping the old battery into winch duty)
    Not as sophisticated as you. I use a come-along mounted to a tie down. Once the head and shoulders are on the tailgate it's easy to swing in the rest of the body.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Bucks County)

Really don't mind if they do. Gives me a chance to hunt close to home. The deer get processed at home and i feed my family. Yeah, its not like hunting large patches of woods, but urban hunting has it's own set of challenges. I'd rather the deer in my freezer than dead on the side of the road.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Not as sophisticated as you. I use a come-along mounted to a tie down. Once the head and shoulders are on the tailgate it's easy to swing in the rest of the body.
    I was going to do something similar with a manual boat winch and pulley on the front tie downs, but by the time I bought the material, I'd still be in it for almost the same cost.

(Bucks County)

So, had to modify my design a bit. Under a pretty decent load, the 2x6 started to twist downwards. This caused it to snap where I drilled through the board. Ended up getting a 4x4 cut down, drilled holes and screwed 3/8" diameter eye bolts 5 or 6" in length. The eye bolts are bolted to the tie down loop on the side of the bed as the 2x6 was. I used a piece of 2x6 on top of the 4x4 to mount the winch, and screwed 2 pieces of 2x4 to act as legs, so as I'm winching, the 2x4's stop the 4x4 from twisting and take some of the load. Ive used it now to haul 150 pounds of corn in a sled up a ramp and it works great. I'll try to get a video of it in action here soon enough. If anyone is interested in better pictures, let me know. In all honesty, I've got maybe $100-$125 invested in this.

trailer hitch mount for the winch and a snatch block in one of the bed tie downs. take the tail gate off, the cable comes into the bed and through the snatch block then out to the deer, use a couple 2x6 to ramp it into the bed.
    put the tailgateback on and go.
    If you have a ladder rack you can put the snatch block on the overhead and use a gambrel to process the deer
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Monroe County)

Saw this on FB, redneck cheaper way to do it.
    118762616_3459693270720176_7178263274629659053_n.jpg

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Saw this on FB, redneck cheaper way to do it.
    118762616_3459693270720176_7178263274629659053_n.jpg
    Yeah, I'm loading deer in driveways and don't have access to fence posts or trees to tie off on.

As for the one using a trailer hitch winch, thought about it, but taking off the tailgate is more work. This setup I have works, and takes up minimal space in the bed. Two bolts, disconnect the battery and I can take it out after the season is over. Should also be able to adapt it to other full-sized trucks if I buy a new truck.

(Berks County)

Could have mounted the winch on the first board , vertical and the cable won*t drag on the winch frame. A set of long jumper cables would eliminate the extra battery and supply alternator current.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast