Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Problem with new AR build.

Again, it’s easy to check for short stroking. Load a single round to fire. If the BCG locks backs on an empty mag, it’s NOT short stroking. As long as it locks back, the problem has nothing to do with spring, buffer, etc. Possible it’s from the Cerekote, but doubtful.

Where about are you Thrillz? I’m in Delaware county. If you are close enough, you are more than welcome to come by and I’d be happy to check headspace. I’d come your way, except I’m disabled & don’t drive.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Again, it*s easy to check for short stroking. Load a single round to fire. If the BCG locks backs on an empty mag, it*s NOT short stroking. As long as it locks back, the problem has nothing to do with spring, buffer, etc. Possible it*s from the Cerekote, but doubtful.

Where about are you Thrillz? I*m in Delaware county. If you are close enough, you are more than welcome to come by and I*d be happy to check headspace. I*d come your way, except I*m disabled & don*t drive.
    Im in York county. Little bit of a drive to get out to Philly lol, thanks for the offer though.

Next time I go to the range, Ill bring it with me and check it out, see if it locks open. Wish I would have thought about it in the moment, but when it jammed, Id drop the mag to clear it and then manually chambered one when I put it back in.

(Delaware County)

Well, if you want your own, just grab a 223 Field Gauge. This is the gauge close to max headspace. People will tell you you need to check with a Go & then a No Go.... NOPE! It*s fixed headspace. It*s either GOOD or BAD! The Field Gauge gives you the answer. As long as it DOES NOT close on the the Field Gauge, it*s GTG.

I use this one. https://www.amazon.com/Forster-Heads...8969749&sr=8-8
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

I agree that it's not a headspace issue. I don't know why people say check the headspace on an AR. I've owned a bunch of AR's and headspace is not the issue. I would say look at your buffer weight and spring as you are talking about an AR pistol. I'd also recommend looking at your gas port and gas block to make sure the gas block is on properly.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    Has nothing to do with Headspace. I*m sure your Headspace is fine. Also the brass color ring on the bolt face IS just that...Brass. Also not a problem. It*s from the pressure of the round being pushed back and the surface of the bolt face picking up particles of the brass.

Your issue can be a host of things. How is it jamming? Is it most of the way into battery? Or jamming just as the round is stripped from the mag? Does it happen at all if you charge a round? Does it look like it*s jamming into the feed ramps?

Are you using an M4 upper with M4 feed ramps on the barrel extension, or A3 upper with A3 feed ramps on the barrel extension? Mismatching them will cause jamming.

Should look like either of the top photos. Not the bottom.

(York County)

Im pretty sure I put the block and tube on right. Its centered and snug up on the ridge on the barrel and the tube is pinned in and its not touching the barrel nut. I could test it with some compressed air just to be sure, but Im 99% its on straight.

Headspace wise, idk, I just always hear people all over the net going on about "never shoot it before you check the headspace first" over and over, and since I put this upper assembly together myself (and lapped it to boot), it would better to be safe than sorry. Well, not really, because I definitely did put a few rounds through it anyways before I got to check it lol.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    Im pretty sure I put the block and tube on right. Its centered and snug up on the ridge on the barrel and the tube is pinned in and its not touching the barrel nut. I could test it with some compressed air just to be sure, but Im 99% its on straight.
    I am certainly no expert, but I think some barrels/gas blocks should have a slight gap between the gas block and the ridge/shoulder of the barrel. I recall seeing videos saying like the thickness of a credit card give or take. I think mine have a gap.
    Live Free or Die! FJB!!!

(York County)

So I got it back out to the range today, and put a few more rounds through it. It seems to be locking open on the last round about 75% of the time, the rest of the time it goes far enough back to eject the casing, but fails to lock open. I didnt have any jams though, though I only shot about a dozen rounds through it before I went back to my other AR. Its not entirely enjoyable to shoot with the shockwave brace and the real short barrel lol. You definitely feel more of a concussive force from the shorter barrel and its quite a bit louder.

(Allegheny County)

Candy ass.

LOL

I don't find the Blade all that uncomfortable to shoot on my 5.56 pistol, but I definitely felt it more on my 7.62x39, so I put an SBA3 on that one.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Candy ass.

LOL

I don't find the Blade all that uncomfortable to shoot on my 5.56 pistol, but I definitely felt it more on my 7.62x39, so I put an SBA3 on that one.
    Its not terrible lol, but you definitely notice the difference. I guess its more the concussion from the 8" barrel. You can really feel that blast vs a 16" barrel. Plus I guess its because I havent shot much bigger than a 5.56, since theyre the only rifles Ive owned, other than shooting a 30-30 as a teenager.

I do want to get an AK though, just as soon as prices come down. I swear I remember seeing WASR10s selling for $400-500 a year or two ago, now theyre up over $1k on gun broker.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
    Its not terrible lol, but you definitely notice the difference. I guess its more the concussion from the 8" barrel. You can really feel that blast vs a 16" barrel. Plus I guess its because I havent shot much bigger than a 5.56, since theyre the only rifles Ive owned, other than shooting a 30-30 as a teenager.

I do want to get an AK though, just as soon as prices come down. I swear I remember seeing WASR10s selling for $400-500 a year or two ago, now theyre up over $1k on gun broker.
    Do you have any sort of linear comp or even a basic flash can? They make a difference - for the shooter at least.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast