Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Help me diag these issues

I took an entry level rifle class today with my suppressed 11.5" SBR and ran into a couple issues that I'm hoping the Poofa can help me figure out. Specs are as follows:
    11.5" Criterion barreled SBR
    Dead Air Sandman K
    Bootleg adjustable BCG (set on position 3 for the class)
    Geissele Super 42 spring with the supplied H1 buffer
    Ammo was 55gr Wolf Gold
    D&H aluminum mags and PMAG's

The issues I was running into are these:
    Most common was a failure to pick up a round when the bolt was cycling. This probably happened, if I have to guess, 5-7 times out of ~150 rounds. I also ran into the bolt not locking back on the last round. This was probably about the same amount of occurrences. Maybe 1 or 2 less but it still happened. And one time I have the bolt try to override the next round as it was feeding but that was only once. Now these did seem to happen later in the day when the gun was hot and getting dirty. I was told this could be an ammo issue as Wolf Gold has seemed to be losing some of it's consistency and power. But I have also had someone tell me to try swapping in a regular FA BCG over the Bootleg with a heavier buffer. Or possibly an adjustable gas block instead. What say you guys?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Help me diag these issues

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    I took an entry level rifle class today with my suppressed 11.5" SBR and ran into a couple issues that I'm hoping the Poofa can help me figure out. Specs are as follows:
    11.5" Criterion barreled SBR
    Dead Air Sandman K
    Bootleg adjustable BCG (set on position 3 for the class)
    Geissele Super 42 spring with the supplied H1 buffer
    Ammo was 55gr Wolf Gold
    D&H aluminum mags and PMAG's

The issues I was running into are these:
    Most common was a failure to pick up a round when the bolt was cycling. This probably happened, if I have to guess, 5-7 times out of ~150 rounds. I also ran into the bolt not locking back on the last round. This was probably about the same amount of occurrences. Maybe 1 or 2 less but it still happened. And one time I have the bolt try to override the next round as it was feeding but that was only once. Now these did seem to happen later in the day when the gun was hot and getting dirty. I was told this could be an ammo issue as Wolf Gold has seemed to be losing some of it's consistency and power. But I have also had someone tell me to try swapping in a regular FA BCG over the Bootleg with a heavier buffer. Or possibly an adjustable gas block instead. What say you guys?
    IMO

You need a more gas or less buffer weight, not more. Your bolt carrier is short stroking.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    IMO

You need a more gas or less buffer weight, not more. Your bolt carrier is short stroking.
    Setting 3 on the Bootleg is suppressed with low back pressure can. Think I should try it on setting 2 to let more gas pass through?

(Elk County)

IDK what setting it needs because IDK what all that stuff is, however, it needs more gas to cycle reliably, or ammo with more ass than the Wolf Gold you're using.

Recommendation: Find some XM193 to have for troubleshooting. If any AR won't run XM193, something's amiss.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Wolf ammo is underpowered. crank up the gas, or run a lighter buffer weight.

Agreed, crank up the gas first. Short stroking is the issue. If the gas fix doesn't work, then put in a light buffer, possibly spring combination. Start easy before spending money. More gas equals more blow back, and that sounds like it will solve your issue. Since you used different mags, that's not an issue.

At the 0:57 mark is your issue. Bolt not traveling to the rear. In my non professional opinion.

Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    IDK what setting it needs because IDK what all that stuff is, however, it needs more gas to cycle reliably, or ammo with more ass than the Wolf Gold you're using.

Recommendation: Find some XM193 to have for troubleshooting. If any AR won't run XM193, something's amiss.

Noah
    Just as an FYI:

Position #1 (U) (No Venting) Unsuppressed with standard ammunition

Position #2 (first dot) Unsuppressed with heavy military ammunition

Position #3 (second dot) Suppressed with low back pressure suppressor or light commercial ammunition

Position #4 (Full Vent) High back pressure suppressor

(Bucks County)

Wolf is some of the shittiest ammo on the planet. It's well known to be underpowered.
    You're running good quality components and feeding it shit.
    The gas needs to be cranked up. As was mentioned shoot quality xm193 and your problems will disappear.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Wolf is some of the shittiest ammo on the planet. It's well known to be underpowered.
    The gas needs to be cranked up. As was mentioned shoot quality xm193 and your problems will disappear.
    Wolf Gold honestly isn't too bad. Brass cased Taiwanese surplus if I'm not mistaken.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I picked up some Independence 5.56 a couple months ago. When I get my membership card to University, I'll take some of that out there to run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast