Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Juniata County)

Default Free speech, but only if you can afford it

New Jersey Teen Who Organized Rally Supporting Black Lives Matter And Affordable Housing Billed For Police Overtime

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/08...lice-overtime/

Protest Lasted About 90 Minutes On July 25

August 28, 2020 at 8:56 pm
    ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – A New Jersey teen thought she was only exercising her First Amendment right when she organized a protest in support of Black Lives Matter.

Not long after, she received a bill for thousands of dollars in the mail from the mayor, CBS2’s Kiran Dhillon reported.

After watching thousands of Americans show support for the Black Lives Matter movement, Emily Gil, 18, was inspired to hold her own rally at home in Englewood Cliffs.

“It’s an issue we care about. And we notice these issues in our own towns, so we can do something about it,” said Gil.

She also wanted to highlight a lack of affordable housing.

In June, Gil said she notified local officials about the protest and even met with the police chief to iron out logistics.

The protest went off without a hitch on July 25 and lasted about 90 minutes.

“I would say it went really well,” said Gil. “We stood there with our signs and people were honking and showing support.”

A few days later, Gil said she received a letter from Mayor Mario Kranjac, billing her for about $2,500 worth of police overtime used during the protest.

“I was shocked when I read that I had to pay to exercise my First Amendment right,” said Gil, who thinks she was being targeted for her take on affordable housing in the community.

The mayor said he is the first in decades to combat the housing issue and had no problem with the protest.

“And we made sure that we fulfilled and satisfied our obligation to make sure that they can exercise their freedom of speech and to peaceably assemble,” said Mayor Kranjac.

Kranjac said the borough has an ordinance in place that allows it to bill for any expenses incurred for police services at private events. The bill sent to Gil was standard protocol, he said.

“We always bill… the bicycle race or running race or any other event, where our police are used, including utility work, people pay for the overtime,” said the mayor.

Gil argued this will inevitably silence young people who can’t afford to pay.

“I feel like if that voice is taken away, it’s really a big loss for the community at large,” said Gil.

The mayor said the money is due “sometime soon.” If Gil can’t pay, he’ll leave it up to the borough administrator to settle the issue
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Free speech, but only if you can afford it

Perhaps Labron James will swoop in and pay the bill
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Berks County)

Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I don*t think it is funny. Sure BLM is trash, but this kid shouldn*t have to pay for for exercising fundamental, inalienable rights.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I don*t think it is funny. Sure BLM is trash, but this kid shouldn*t have to pay for for exercising fundamental, inalienable rights.
    Meh, it sucks when you go out and ravage the world then find out you have to pay for it. Screw 'em.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Nobody said she couldn*t exercise her right to speak out. However, she organized an event that required police presence, which requires payment. Maybe BLM can cover the cost since their coffers are overflowing.

On that note, BLM should be billed for the cost associated for their *mostly peaceful protests*, including the cost to rebuild what they have burned - from businesses, police stations, and vehicles.

(Lancaster County)

She could have freely exercised her rights as an individual that wouldn't have required a police presence. But when you pull in a group, especially one know for violence, now you're going to need something else. It's no different than what needs to be paid to the king when we rally on the steps of the capital.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

Just saw a headline that the chief has rescinded the bill. The entitled brat got her way.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.