Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comms Help!

(Berks County)

Default Comms Help!

I realize I am slacking in the very important communications department of my never ending preparedness. I need help. I know absolute d*ck about radios, what to buy, how to use them, needing a license or not, whatever programming is that I see people around talking about, etc.. So many people on videos and forums chiming in with more opinions then whats important. I just want real answers. What do I buy? How do or should I be using it? Can I actually use it in an emergency situation or am I able to talk to people on it or do I need a license or whatever? Im on a budget like most of the world so any recommendations or knowledge you can share without me having to break the bank on the stuff, Id really appreciate. And I am willing to offer up a case a beer or so for ones time to help me get where I need to be with all this. Thanks in advance!

(York County)

Default Re: Comms Help!

I am a licensed amateur radio operator with a general class ticket.

First,
    go to this website, set up an account and then take the Technician level test before you start studying:
    https://hamstudy.org/

Then get this book:
    https://www.amazon.com/ARRL-Radio-Li...dp/1625950829/

Read it cover to cover.

Take the test again from hamstudy. They will tell you what categories of questions you are struggling with. Then go back into the study manual and re-read.
    Keep taking the test. It will keep track of your progress for you.

If you have questions or problems contact me or one of the many other hams on this board. If you live between Hanover and 83 I'll be happy to meet once a week, especially if there's beer involved. We'll go through each chapter together.

The tech license is not difficult. Most of it is common sense and will at least get your feet wet in this hobby. Usually tech is for talking locally or online using your amateur radio callsign. The next step will be to get your General license. This provides more privileges into the HF (High Frequency) bands where then you can bounce signals off of the atmosphere and talk around the world.

For general prepping or emergency communications just having a Technician license is a great start.

Good luck and feel free to PM me, especially if there is beer involved!

(Berks County)

gamer_jim, that's a very generous offer, good job. ykman1, I used that hamstudy.org site and just studied the answers. I'm retired so I had plenty of time and I crunched pretty hard on it for a week or two. When I took the test I was first to finish in the group and only got one wrong but then I didn't know a damn thing about hamming afterwards. I took the technicians test. I was surprised at how involved it is. With that you can get started and talk to locals and participate in their nets. Nets are small, local conversations that get you used to talking on the radio but I was surprised at how they just talk about mowing the grass, working all week and other mundane things. They can also get in deep like antennae and stuff but that's all way over my head.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Good advise. Get the OP off to a knowledgeable start.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Berks County)

I appreciate the responses. I got the book and I will sign up for the site suggested. Thanks!

(Bucks County)

I got my general class license by repeatedly taking the practice test over and over. Some stuff I already knew. Some stuff I learned by googling the questions I missed. After I got up to 90 percent or better each time I took the practice test, I scheduled my actual test. Got my general license two weeks later.

You can get a gmrs license without a test.

(Erie County)

Great advise here. Also install the Question pool practice apps on your phone/tablets. Just keep running the Tech exam. When you start getting 95-99%, include the General question pool.
    I believe these apps now will summarize your exam results and show where you need to concentrate your studies.

I went in just for the tech, and walked out with the General. I picked up the extra a few months later.

(Berks County)

The hamstudy.org course (for lack of a better term at the moment) is intuitive. After you've gone through all the questions and you figure you're ready for the test it gives you the questions in random order and the ones you get wrong it will recycle until they sink into your skull. When you get to the point where you're only seeing a few questions over and over then you'll know it's time...young grasshopper.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

You've been given good advice about getting a TECH license (my level). No need for big poles in your yard, learning Morse Code, becoming an electronics genius any more (although all good for a hobby). For what seems to be your desired preparedness needs the TECH license is fine.

You asked about equipment and nobody answered. You also mentioned being on a budget. What you need is a good, hand-held, dual-band (VHF/UHF) radio. Much as I hate to suggest supporting the Chicoms, if money is a serious consideration, you are going to get the most bang for your buck with a Chinese made radio. Not good or bad, right or wrong, fair or unfair, just a fact. If you can spend more and it's worth it to you, you can buy a Japanese made radio. I am unaware of any good UHF/VHF radios still manufactured in the U.S. although I could be wrong. Someone will correct me if I am.

This is a terrific choice by the Chicoms, and will likely suit your needs perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...dtagk194863-20

Guys in two radio clubs that I've belonged to rave about them for the price.

If you are willing to spend more, Yaesu is a respected Japanese brand, and this looks like a good model for you here:

https://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-60R-...886353&sr=8-21

I have an old iCom that is ten years old, they last and work fine, even though there are advances in the technology a good radio will server you for years.

While not necessary, I'd recommend one of these super flexible antennas. The stock one will work fine, but this is likely to work better and is super flexible. I love mine.

https://signalstuff.com/shop/

(Lebanon County)

Great advice already given. noticing you're in Berks, let me know if you need a local "elmer" what hams call mentors. President @lvsra.org (Lebanon Radio club) is pretty responsive and can hook you up with locals in the Lebanon, Lancaster and Reading areas. Also, for "practice" with radios, you can apprentice in the Middle Creek Search and Rescue (MIDSAR) Communications team, they are very laid back and do a lot of team training in Berks, MDSAR has member from Berks, Lebanon, Lancaster, York, Dauphin, Schuk, and Chester counties. They also encourage average team members to get their ham license and help them with it.

While I have personal bias to both organizations, I also see them as great local resources for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast