Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comms Help!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Comms Help!

Instructions on getting the GMRS license, if you want it.

https://midlandusa.com/why-do-i-need...w-do-i-get-it/

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    A good friend told me "You ham guys are like drug pushers, you always say it don't cost much to get started, then it snowballs", can't say he's wrong.
    You know, same could be said about firearms as a hobby. A good buddy of mine got into firearms recently and I told him it would be a slippery slope. Every couple of weeks he is showing me some new thing he got or is looking to get. Besides being practical, it's a lot of fun.

(Berks County)

Thanks again for the added comments. Truth is, I just want it to be able to say "10-4, over and out" and make the cccchhhhh sound after.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    That is hilarious!

ykman1, you don't need an Elmer or to join a club for my option A, above, just decide which radio you want, order it today, and if you buy the one that needs the GMRS license, get it online today. You're done.

If you want to hook up with other folks in your county, get the manual and find a local club. Good luck.
    You're analysis is very spot on, but I want to point out a down side to the FRS and GMRS options. With the ready availability we ARE seeing rioters using radios of some kind, most likely it will be these as well. One thing we should all be doing if concerned of local security is monitoring these frequencies (many of the radios also have a scan feature). I can't say yes or no, but it would be a safe bet that the organizers of the riots do have a basic "Bubba" scanner, listening to the FRS/ GMRS frequencies, which would compromise local community watch teams. MURS would be a more secure manner, but only because most protesters won't pay the money for the more expensive radios.

This is something I'd like to work out in more detail, but I'm rather tight on time these days, it would be great to do a tabletop nightmare scenario. Even if OP doesn't go the HAM route, and chooses CB, MUIRS or FRS, making friends with the local ham club will definitely help him in refining his communications goals and plans.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ykman1 View Post
    Thanks again for the added comments. Truth is, I just want it to be able to say "10-4, over and out" and make the cccchhhhh sound after.
    Sounds like your best bet is sit down over coffee with someone experienced, come up with communications expectations and goals list, then make a plan on how to achieve those goals. My invitation still stands, many of the newer hams in LVSRA got there because of concerns of the future, many of the older members were planning for this for years.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Sounds like your best bet is sit down over coffee with someone experienced, come up with communications expectations and goals list, then make a plan on how to achieve those goals. My invitation still stands, many of the newer hams in LVSRA got there because of concerns of the future, many of the older members were planning for this for years.
    Thats a great idea, exactly what I need. And, you know my last comment was a joke. I knew it may rattle some people but I couldnt resist lol.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ykman1 View Post
    Thats a great idea, exactly what I need. And, you know my last comment was a joke. I knew it may rattle some people but I couldnt resist lol.
    took it as a joke, s'all good.

(Lebanon County)

For the OP, and any one interested, the two biggest questions that need answered in cased like this: Who ad Why. Who to you want to communicate with and Why do you want to communicate aka about what? From this we will come up with a how. Considerations on the what and who will dictate things like levels of security and privacy vs convenience and costs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123