Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comms Help!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Comms Help!

Awesome offer from theshadow to be your elmer. Take him up on it. He'll hook you up with good people to learn from.

(York County)

I urge the OP, and anyone else considering, to not just study to pass the test. That's why I recommend the ARRL manual. They actually teach the fundamentals of radio for safety and effectiveness. You want to understand what is going on and not just be a user of the radio.

Regarding equipment, I think it entirely depends on the use case. Are you looking for portable only? Operate from home? From a vehicle?

I made the mistake of getting a nice HT, Yaesu FT-60r, as my first "rig". I thought if I got that and a nice external antenna for my car then I could use while portable and from the vehicle. Because changing frequencies and other settings was such a pain from an HT I lost interest in it. It wasn't until I got my first 2M mobile rig at home with a proper antenna that I could really start enjoying this hobby.

My point is make sure you get the right equipment for what you want to do. My example of trying to use an HT in the car is a good example of having the wrong equipment. There's a good video on YT about someone bashing the Baofeng as a "good first radio" because it's not. It's inexpensive and yes you can talk, but it's poor performance and difficult interface might cause a new tech to quickly loose interest in the hobby.

This is why it's important to hook up with an "elmer" early to talk through these things. Chances are the older ham has already made these mistakes and you can learn from them. If you get involved with a local amateur radio club they can even lend you equipment to try out before you buy your own. Hams are very excited about helping new folks into this hobby.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
    I urge the OP, and anyone else considering, to not just study to pass the test. That's why I recommend the ARRL manual. They actually teach the fundamentals of radio for safety and effectiveness. You want to understand what is going on and not just be a user of the radio.

Regarding equipment, I think it entirely depends on the use case. Are you looking for portable only? Operate from home? From a vehicle?

I made the mistake of getting a nice HT, Yaesu FT-60r, as my first "rig". I thought if I got that and a nice external antenna for my car then I could use while portable and from the vehicle. Because changing frequencies and other settings was such a pain from an HT I lost interest in it. It wasn't until I got my first 2M mobile rig at home with a proper antenna that I could really start enjoying this hobby.

My point is make sure you get the right equipment for what you want to do. My example of trying to use an HT in the car is a good example of having the wrong equipment. There's a good video on YT about someone bashing the Baofeng as a "good first radio" because it's not. It's inexpensive and yes you can talk, but it's poor performance and difficult interface might cause a new tech to quickly loose interest in the hobby.

This is why it's important to hook up with an "elmer" early to talk through these things. Chances are the older ham has already made these mistakes and you can learn from them. If you get involved with a local amateur radio club they can even lend you equipment to try out before you buy your own. Hams are very excited about helping new folks into this hobby.
    This is a good point. When I started, I bought a digital handheld and an analog 2 meter radio for my truck. I don’t have that truck anymore and the mobile rig isn’t hooked up. I do miss talking to people in the morning and afternoon on the repeaters.

The handheld is fun to have along out and about to listen around. I have received pictures from the space station with it and talked to someone in Philly from the cook forest fire tower via a linked repeater system.

I’ve never used it in the car as it doesn’t work well that way. The exception being I built a pi-Star hotspot which is a way to link digitally to the internet for radio. Think digital radio to hotspot to internet ‘repeater’ to other digital radio user. I did this mobile in my truck and talked to a guy in Ireland.
    Not an emergency comm type of thing.

As you can see there are many aspects to ham radio, and this is just VHF/UHF. I also use HF, actually that is the majority of my use. I use mostly single side band voice although I do a little Morse code.

Due to the pandemic we have watched a lot of end of the world type shows and movies and there is always one thing in there that keeps coming back, Morse code. My wife and son always laugh, but they agree is always saving the day.

I guess if I had to recommend a first radio it would be a 2 meter base station or perhaps dual or quad band if you can afford it. Something that puts out some power. A handheld with 5 watts is still limited even with a good antenna. The good antenna is the second part and probably most important part of that equation. They are easy to build or fairly inexpensive to buy.

Either way, good luck, and if you can get some Elmer help it’s a good idea.

(Montgomery County)

To the last two posters ... with all due respect ....

You're hobbyists. I get your comments, I understand them. The OP is looking to get into comms for emergency use, and (implied, I'm assuming here, but I'm betting I'm not wrong) driven by the recent unrest. He has his firearms needs met, or he wouldn't be on the forum. and he didn't ask about any other prep topics. He MAY fall in love with the hobby and want to get into more radio, mobile rigs, higher licensing levels. Later. You guys are salivating at getting another one into the hobby. He's not there, yet. Yes, there's more to the hobby than handhelds, but that's the place to start for his needs. And he said he's on a budget. Listen to yourselves. Listen to him!

Morse code, 2 meter base stations with power, mobile rigs, talking to the space station, Internet radio--all good stuff. Let him get into that if and when he decides he has an interest, and has decided he has his other needs met and wants to wade further into the hobby, and devote more money to it. With all due respect, you guys are WAY ahead of HIS skis here. Chill. I admit you two have probably forgotten more about radio than I'll ever learn, but you're not listening to his needs. I don't often ask other folks to back off on advice in an area they obviously know more about than I do, but in this case, I'm making an exception. I've been in the radio clubs and I know your type, your passion for you hobby. Maybe he'll get there at some point. But not today.

ykman1, listen to me, I gave you exactly the right advice for what you are asking for, and run, don't walk to theshadow for his offer of being your elmer. If I understand you correctly and you are, in fact, looking to fill a hole in your knowledge base on basic comms in a crazy world, start with my inexpensive handheld recommendations, DO NOT SPEND ANY SERIOUS MONEY ON ANY BIGGER RADIOS, at least for right now, get in touch with theshadow, get your license, learn to work that radio, THEN decide if you want to do more in the hobby.

Get your Tech license, get an inexpensive handheld dual-band, trust me, get in touch with theshadow, it will keep you plenty busy for a few months, and he'll steer you right. If ... if, after that you find you get bitten by the radio bug, you can go from there. But save your dough for now, and take the crawl, walk, run approach.

I ended up getting a mobile UHF/VHF, fancy antenna, batteries, set up for mobile use or use without external power, made a couple of my own antennas, got into computer accessories that let me send digital files over radio, got involved in an ARES group ... I went further. You may, too. But stick with getting those books, my cheap handheld radio options, hook up with theshadow to be your elmer and don't do anything else right now, it gets you where you need to be on a budget. You can't make a mistake that way, may meet your goals, and you can always go further later.

Please, guys, don't take a guy who is wanting to fill out his basic preparedness plan to a full TEOTWAWKI plan or get him into Morse Code and fancy equipment. Not yet. Not meaning to poke you guys in the nose here, but I hear where he is coming from. It's where I was a couple years ago. Despite your obviously best intentions, you're not helping him with your advice here, IMO.

73, K3JPC

(Blair County)

the fcc is thinking seriously about increasing the fees for hams by a lot contact your reps .

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Great advice already given. noticing you're in Berks, let me know if you need a local "elmer" what hams call mentors. President @lvsra.org (Lebanon Radio club) is pretty responsive and can hook you up with locals in the Lebanon, Lancaster and Reading areas. Also, for "practice" with radios, you can apprentice in the Middle Creek Search and Rescue (MIDSAR) Communications team, they are very laid back and do a lot of team training in Berks, MDSAR has member from Berks, Lebanon, Lancaster, York, Dauphin, Schuk, and Chester counties. They also encourage average team members to get their ham license and help them with it.

While I have personal bias to both organizations, I also see them as great local resources for you.
    I really appreciate the offer and will definitely be sending a PM your way.

(Berks County)

I thank everyone for their responses and suggestions. I am not trying to "cut corners" here, and will do what I need to, to do it the right way.. in time. But more importantly, I feel as if this is a move that needs to be done now more than later. I think @JCinPA relates most to my situation at hand. If no one has noticed, we've been in a cold war of sorts for awhile now, with it currently heating up at a rapid pace to potentially turn civil. Now, Im a pray for peace but prepare for war type guy, which we all should be to some degree, and feel that with current times I need a way to be able to communicate if things go south. Yes, Im late to the party here and I will read the books, and except the help, listen and learn, etc.. But, that could take months.. So what can I do now to be prepared till then? While Im learning? I dont believe that we live in a world that if or when SHTF the people who dont have radio licenses have to send letters via pigeon to communicate. If me and my family needs help or someone else and their family needs help, how would we be able to communicate without a light and a bat symbol?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    To the last two posters ... with all due respect ....

[snip]

Please, guys, don't take a guy who is wanting to fill out his basic preparedness plan to a full TEOTWAWKI plan or get him into Morse Code and fancy equipment. Not yet. Not meaning to poke you guys in the nose here, but I hear where he is coming from. It's where I was a couple years ago. Despite your obviously best intentions, you're not helping him with your advice here, IMO.

73, K3JPC
    Couldn't agree more. We all want people to share the hobby and get "Radio Active", but to get them there, we have to listen first (two ears) then tailor a solution for a potential new guy. A good friend told me "You ham guys are like drug pushers, you always say it don't cost much to get started, then it snowballs", can't say he's wrong. To be up front, I'm not sure I'll be the best person to be this guys elmer, but I know a LOT of good experienced folks who are more than willing to help people get started and proceed at their own pace. Once the hook's in then how far and wide doe he want to cast his net. Being pushy will only result in loss of interest.

On the FCC Fee increase, YES PLEASE please contact and provide feedback. Currently there is a $15 FCC fee for testing (some clubs will cover it, others ask the test taker to) and essentially it's a life time license needing renewed every 10 years (can be don on line for free) Now they want to up it to $50 and add the same fee to renewals. This WILL be a barrier to many thinking to test, and many older hams who are now of fixed incomes. http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-propose...QbROWc3WauEiAI and https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings

(Montgomery County)

What you can do now, for you and your family, over short distances (depends on terrain and man-made obstacles, but the 35 mile rating is fiction--more normally up to 2 is what to expect), no license required, inexpensive, currently in-stock, Prive delivery, get it by Friday. Waterproof, you can find cheaper models, but being able to operate in rain is a must, IMO. Comes in pairs, so you can have 2-4-6, etcetera.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-T600...QX43JWD9K&th=1

Done, like dinner.

If you want a little more range you can go to GMRS radios, which are basically more powerful walkie talkies (within the same frequency band, have some channels the walkie talkies do not). Requires license ($70) but NO test. Frankly, I don't think these are worth the upgrade. For family, neighborhood watch type use, almost dummyproof (you do have to be able to read an English manual to understand the radio above, but it's certainly not complex), I'd go with the radio linked above. I'm not sure what the range increase would be, maybe another mile or two, again dependent on terrain/obstacles. Here's an example.

https://www.amazon.com/Retevis-Chann...ct_top?ie=UTF8

If you think you MAY want to get a tech license from the FCC later and get involved in more than a neighborhood watch, say some kind of county organization, don't bother with the GMRS, just get the walkies on the top, fine for neighborhood watch, and later you can get a VHF/UHF radio and get more connected. The GMRS is no good for that, all county volunteer organizations use the VHF/UHF stuff, and it's not really an intermediate step to the tech license.

Option A) You just want neighborhood watch over short distances and don't see yourself moving up from there later, do either the walkies or get the GMRS license and the more powerful walkies and be done with it.

Option B) You want to get the neighborhood watch started yesterday, but are open to a tech license and wanting to step up a little bit later, just get the cheaper walkies now, get the tech license manual, and hook up with theshadow and proceed at your leisure. Hope that helps.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    A good friend told me "You ham guys are like drug pushers, you always say it don't cost much to get started, then it snowballs", can't say he's wrong.
    That is hilarious!

ykman1, you don't need an Elmer or to join a club for my option A, above, just decide which radio you want, order it today, and if you buy the one that needs the GMRS license, get it online today. You're done.

If you want to hook up with other folks in your county, get the manual and find a local club. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast