Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 5.56 vs .300blk

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: 5.56 vs .300blk

Hits on target are all that matter... ever. Silencers are fantastic and I have them on all of my long guns. Some people arent into them, that is fine by me. I buy them because I like them.

I read t he first 20 or so posts and then skipped to the end so bear with me if this has already been covered. 300 BO shines in short barrels. 5.56 or .223 needs length to burn that powder due to "overbore" and 5.56 is very much velocity sensitive when it comes to performance. Want to use a 7.5 inch barreled AR, make it a 300 BO and you are good to go. 300 BO is also easier on silencers, less erosion because the blast baffle is not being bead blasted by the not yet burned propellant that 5.56 throws at it. The only down side to 300 BO is price and availability. Other than that, it is a versatile, capable and efficient cartridge that works very well in Americas Rifle...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Hits on target are all that matter... ever. Silencers are fantastic and I have them on all of my long guns. Some people arent into them, that is fine by me. I buy them because I like them.

I read t he first 20 or so posts and then skipped to the end so bear with me if this has already been covered. 300 BO shines in short barrels. 5.56 or .223 needs length to burn that powder due to "overbore" and 5.56 is very much velocity sensitive when it comes to performance. Want to use a 7.5 inch barreled AR, make it a 300 BO and you are good to go. 300 BO is also easier on silencers, less erosion because the blast baffle is not being bead blasted by the not yet burned propellant that 5.56 throws at it. The only down side to 300 BO is price and availability. Other than that, it is a versatile, capable and efficient cartridge that works very well in Americas Rifle...
    Well said. Good synopsis.

Although a 300 BO will perform adequately (quite well actually) with a 7.5" barrel, there are significant velocity gains with another couple of inches of barrel.

I have not done this yet, but intend to cut the barrel down one or two inches at a time (barrel is 16" right now) shooting and cronographing my two favorite BLK powders @ maximum load. Will do this for the lighter bullet weights (110 gr., 125 gr. & 155 gr.). Will stop cutting the barrel down where it looks like velocity is really dropping off. I want to maintain good supersonic performance, and am guessing that I will end up between 10" to 12". Will be great to have 'velocity by the inch' data.
    Last edited by MMH; November 11th, 2020 at 07:19 AM.

(Butler County)

Damn you guys...now I want to find something that shoots 300 BO. lol. maybe someone will have something at the next group shoot. This thread has been very interesting, love all the insight.
    -Brandon

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    Damn you guys...now I want to find something that shoots 300 BO. lol. maybe someone will have something at the next group shoot. This thread has been very interesting, love all the insight.
    https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_...20blk%20pistol

Have at it!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I'll def bring mine if any of the group shoots line up with my schedule next year.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upp...er=332&stock=1

Not the best, not the worse, depends on what you're looking for to test the water.

I personally have four BCA uppers and only had 1 issue that was easy enough to resolve..

I started off my 300bo just grabbing an upper to swap onto my AR-15 lower as needed, but
    now I have 4 more lowers with full-time 300bo uppers on them.. My .556 uppers have
    probably seen 100 rounds in the past 3 years because the 300bo is so much more fun..

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678