Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 vs .300blk

(Tioga County)

Default Re: 5.56 vs .300blk

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I've had great results w/ H110 for lighter bullets & AA1680 for the heavier ones. Looking at the SierraPowder Burn Rate chart, here are the rankings of powders from fastest to slowest:

51 Lil'Gun
    53 H110
    57 IMR 4227
    61 AA1680
    62 CFE BLK

There are 150 powders so all of these are all close to the same burn rate. Lil'Gun is just a little faster than H110 and I would expect it to do well. CFE BLK would be better for your heavier bullets. You could use it for the lighter ones, but I would not expect the same velocity that you will get with the faster powders.

Good luck & be careful!
    Lil Gun I have always had great results with, so it's my go to for Blackout. It doesn't give me any problems. It's my first time working a load with it though with 110g bullets.

IMR 4227 I did some work with and it was fine. I think Lil Gun has an edge on it though.

H110 I tried years ago and for whatever reason it did not work well. Very inconsistent.

CFE BLK I experimented with and to get the same velocity with 150g bullets it took 2 grains more powder. I only see using that with heavier bullets or going subsonic, so I will experiment with that someday.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tacgunner View Post
    The most "fair" comparison would be two uppers, one in 300 BO, the other in 5.56. Both with 16" barrels and same optics. Ammo would be standard supersonic off-the-shelf ammo. Most folks would want to see these compared for defense/hunting uses.

After that, the discussion can go to sub-sonics and suppressors, or long-range challenge type stuff. Handloads are a subclass of the discussion as not everyone reloads (just trying to be fair). The 7.62x39mm comparison works best when talking reloaded 300 BO versus factory 7.62x39mm (what you can get outta 300 BO if not using factory 7.62x39mm). Plus, if there is no 7.62x39mm, you can always make 300 BO from .223/5.56mm brass (again, a reloading issue).
    I hear you on the handload bit, but a lot of ammo manufacturers are now putting out 300 Blackout loads with bullets and loads that can match or mirror what the handloaders are doing. That wasn't really the case IMO five years ago with 300 BO. A lot of the factory loads at the time were pretty shitty.

True, 7.62x39 can outperform slightly, however it doesn't have the bullet options you have with 308 bullets. I'd say with that, depends on the platform and some people love AKs or doing the oddball thing with 7.62x39 ARs.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    There are a few good videos that this topic has refreshed in my mind.

The first 2 center on a man named John Lovell that goes by "Warrior Poet Society". He made a video poo-pooing the use of silencers for home defense, and it was recently followed up on by Colion Noir interviewing him about said video. I admit- at first I lost my mind with his position, but later I think I can come to terms with it even if I still disagree.

His position was to not use a silencer in home defense because he wants any intruder to be scared as hell from the noise. He says that it's worth the cost of hearing damage.

Snip
    Take it from a deaf guy, he's fucking WRONG!

Don't scare the guy. Shoot his ass.

Fuggin poets....
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

I'm on board with not giving a fuck about my hearing if I have to shoot a bad guy in my home.

The odds of ever having to shoot anyone in my home are slim to none.
    The odds of all the negatives of 300 BLK and all the horseshit involved with suppressors is 100%.

I'll pass on suppressors.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Tioga County)

I have electronic ears right next to my bedside guns.

I had an AK 47 with a BFA on it fired right over my head one time in a shoot house. Wont forget that. Electronic ears.

(Allegheny County)

Why? I have not tried 4227 but have settled in on H110 for light bullets.
    I got my best super groups with 4227 and it is great for subs.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm on board with not giving a fuck about my hearing if I have to shoot a bad guy in my home.

The odds of ever having to shoot anyone in my home are slim to none.
    The odds of all the negatives of 300 BLK and all the horseshit involved with suppressors is 100%.

I'll pass on suppressors.
    What are all the negatives on 300 BLK again? And the horseshit involved with suppressors? There is a lot of horseshit with NICS & ATF, but I'm guessing that you put up with it to get a gun.

Unless the only time that you shoot a gun is when shoot a bad guy, suppressors will save your hearing. I guess that I spend a little more time at the range than you do. A suppressor will typically drop the noise by 30 dB. Even more on a muzzle braked big magnum (such as a 300 WM). If you shoot a lot of those, you better be wearing double ears or will eventually suffer hearing loss (w/o a suppressor of course).
    Last edited by MMH; November 5th, 2020 at 08:09 PM.

(Allegheny County)

What are all the negatives on 300 BLK again? And the horseshit involved with suppressors? There is a lot of horseshit with NICS & ATF, but I'm guessing that you put up with it to get a gun.

Unless the only time that you shoot a gun is when shoot a bad guy, suppressors will save your hearing. I guess that I spend a little more time at the range than you do. A suppressor will typically drop the noise by 30 dB. Even more on a muzzle braked big magnum (such as a 300 WM). If you shoot a lot of those, you better be wearing double ears or will eventually suffer hearing loss.
    I really enjoy being able to shoot without plugs and muffs. It is sort of suprising how loud steel plates ring.

Wow this thread kicked off again!

Read through new data. I'm still using my 300blk suppressed SBR on my nightstand and my 5.56 mcx as my post election rifle, with enough supersonic 300 to use it as my post election rifle if need be. I don't see that changing.

I do give a fuck about my hearing when shooting a bad guy in my house and reject the notion of having to scare someone off with sound. My suppressed gun will do that too. It isn't movie silencer silent and the first shot is louder than the follow on shots.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Allegheny County)

WHAT???
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast