Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.56 vs .300blk

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: 5.56 vs .300blk

There are a few good videos that this topic has refreshed in my mind.

The first 2 center on a man named John Lovell that goes by "Warrior Poet Society". He made a video poo-pooing the use of silencers for home defense, and it was recently followed up on by Colion Noir interviewing him about said video. I admit- at first I lost my mind with his position, but later I think I can come to terms with it even if I still disagree.

His position was to not use a silencer in home defense because he wants any intruder to be scared as hell from the noise. He says that it's worth the cost of hearing damage. He went on to say that People shooting suppressed subs aren't getting the full deterrent effect that they could be and this is where I take issue. First I don't think anyone should sacrifice ballistics in a home defense situation by using subsonics. A supersonic even suppressed is going to be loud in doors. Anyway I guess you all can decide

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Wyoming County)

Another video I recommend regarding .300 from Mr. Gunsngear

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    There are a few good videos that this topic has refreshed in my mind.

The first 2 center on a man named John Lovell that goes by "Warrior Poet Society". He made a video poo-pooing the use of silencers for home defense, and it was recently followed up on by Colion Noir interviewing him about said video. I admit- at first I lost my mind with his position, but later I think I can come to terms with it even if I still disagree.

His position was to not use a silencer in home defense because he wants any intruder to be scared as hell from the noise. He says that it's worth the cost of hearing damage. He went on to say that People shooting suppressed subs aren't getting the full deterrent effect that they could be and this is where I take issue. First I don't think anyone should sacrifice ballistics in a home defense situation by using subsonics. A supersonic even suppressed is going to be loud in doors. Anyway I guess you all can decide

Yeah I saw that and dismissed his opinion. Firstly, it's unlikely that I'll every have to defend against a home intruder. Secondly, it's even more unlikely that it'll be multiple that I need to "scare off" with a report from a rifle. I choose the setup I have simply because I don't want to ruin my hearing in such an unlikely event. I am familiar with the concept of the way it seems your brain can cut off your hearing during such an event, as a former hunter I don't remember ever hearing any of the shots I've ever taken on game. However, saving my hearing when weighed against the unlikelihood of a home invasion is worth it for me.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Tioga County)

About 10 years ago in a training exercise, someone fired an AK with blanks over my head in a shoot house and I did not have ear pro on. Will not forget that.

While it might be fun to roast the perp with muzzle blast, it's not worth it for you to be disoriented and deaf as many people have not fired a gun in an enclosed space. I would say getting a few suppressors is at the top of my list right now. Even a lot of the military now is moving to integrated electronic ear pro and suppressors, especially special operations.

300 BLK to me is still a reloaders cartridge although price and availability on factory ammo has improved. Factory ammo is still pricey and I save a lot making my own ammo.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Yeah I saw that and dismissed his opinion. Firstly, it's unlikely that I'll every have to defend against a home intruder. Secondly, it's even more unlikely that it'll be multiple that I need to "scare off" with a report from a rifle. I choose the setup I have simply because I don't want to ruin my hearing in such an unlikely event. I am familiar with the concept of the way it seems your brain can cut off your hearing during such an event, as a former hunter I don't remember ever hearing any of the shots I've ever taken on game. However, saving my hearing when weighed against the unlikelihood of a home invasion is worth it for me.
    I agree once hearing is gone it is gone for good. Currently there is no surgery to repair hearing nerve damage. With hearing loss comes tinnitus so hearing loss isn't exactly living in silence. I didn't watch the video but the thought of
    "His position was to not use a silencer in home defense because he wants any intruder to be scared as hell from the noise."
    is about on the same level as racking a pump shotgun is suppose to make the bad guys run off in fear.

I have very slight tinnitus from firing my 30.06 about 10 times without hearing protection when I was 12. I'm lucky that anything above a whisper I don't hear it, and according to my annual hearing tests, I haven't lost fidelity yet. I want to keep it that way as long as possible.

(Beaver County)

The 300 BLK just is not that impressive to me.

Subs have about the same energy as a 45 ACP (220@1k vs 230 @900).

Supers are pretty equivalent to a 357 Max. Not Mag.

These are pistol type energies in a slightly more accurate package.

So sub 100yrds is fine. I agree, but I would drop it in a heartbeat for .223/5.56.

And I keep my can on my gun at all times. Supers are still enjoyable w/o ear pro with a can on. It's not like the can is hurting your velocity.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

For home defense why would someone limit themselves with subsonic loads if their rifle is suppressed? Even with full power loads the noise should be loud but tolerable and not in the danger zone. People shoot subsonic's outside to avoid the sonic crack of the bullet but this crack is only about 100 dB's. There can be tactical reasons to avoid this crack but hearing preservation is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    For home defense why would someone limit themselves with subsonic loads if their rifle is suppressed? Even with full power loads the noise should be loud but tolerable and not in the danger zone. People shoot subsonic's outside to avoid the sonic crack of the bullet but this crack is only about 100 dB's. There can be tactical reasons to avoid this crack but hearing preservation is not one of them.
    I don't know why, that's why I started this thread. Thanks for the insights.

(Bucks County)

You should experiment next time you are at an outdoor range. Have someone stand 20 yards away and shoot a full powered load while suppressed. Then have them walk closer and see how close they can get without the sound level being uncomfortable (not just loud). If they can stand next to you you can try shooting one without your ears on. This wouldn't be a test to see if if full powered loads are louder than subsonic (it will be), it is just a test to see if the sound level is dangerous. But be conservative since the sound will be louder in an enclosed area.

If you reload you can also experiment with faster burning powders to reduce the muzzle flash and noise. Maybe an intermediate load between subsonic and full power will work best. I would be interested in knowing the results.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast