Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Virginia Democrats: "Assaulting Police is OK"

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...202+sum+SB5032

SB 5032 Assault and battery; penalty.
    Introduced by: Scott A. Surovell

SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:
    Assault and battery; penalty. Eliminates the mandatory minimum term of confinement for an assault and battery committed against a judge; magistrate; law-enforcement officer; correctional officer; person directly involved in the care, treatment, or supervision of inmates; firefighter; or volunteer firefighter or any emergency medical services personnel and provides that such crime can no longer be committed as a simple assault and must result in a bodily injury.

Full text of bill: https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...202+ful+SB5032

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2...ium%3Dsharebar

Virginia Senate passes bill allowing assaulting a police officer to be a misdemeanor

Bill removes mandatory jail sentence

RICHMOND, Va. – A controversial bill is moving forward during the current Virginia General Assembly special session.

On Wednesday, the Virginia Senate voted 21-15, completely along party lines, to pass Senate Bill 5032, which would allow an assault against a law enforcement officer to a misdemeanor if the person attacked is not hurt.

Here’s the summary of the bill:
    Eliminates the mandatory minimum term of confinement for an assault and battery committed against a judge; magistrate; law-enforcement officer; correctional officer; person directly involved in the care, treatment, or supervision of inmates; firefighter; or volunteer firefighter or any emergency medical services personnel and provides that such crime can no longer be committed as a simple assault and must result in a bodily injury.

Summary of Senate Bill 5032

LATEST NEWS
    Former Liberty University student says Becki Falwell initiated sexual encounter, Politico reports
    13 MINUTES AGO

Former Liberty University student says Becki Falwell initiated sexual encounter, Politico reports
    Hours, base pay to be reinstated for all Carilion employees in September
    1 HOUR AGO

Hours, base pay to be reinstated for all Carilion employees in September
    How donating spare change is giving back to New River Valley community
    3 HOURS AGO

How donating spare change is giving back to New River Valley community
    After two decades of talking about it, two local schools closing in on merger
    3 HOURS AGO

After two decades of talking about it, two local schools closing in on merger
    Virginia Senate passes bill allowing assaulting a police officer to be a misdemeanor
    Bill removes mandatory jail sentence
    photo
    (KPRC/File)
    RICHMOND, Va. – A controversial bill is moving forward during the current Virginia General Assembly special session.

On Wednesday, the Virginia Senate voted 21-15, completely along party lines, to pass Senate Bill 5032, which would allow an assault against a law enforcement officer to a misdemeanor if the person attacked is not hurt.

Here’s the summary of the bill:

Eliminates the mandatory minimum term of confinement for an assault and battery committed against a judge; magistrate; law-enforcement officer; correctional officer; person directly involved in the care, treatment, or supervision of inmates; firefighter; or volunteer firefighter or any emergency medical services personnel and provides that such crime can no longer be committed as a simple assault and must result in a bodily injury.

Summary of Senate Bill 5032
    [Defund police? Reopen schools? Passionate debate marks start of Virginia General Assembly special session]

The bill also removes mandatory minimum 6-month jail sentence for assaulting a police officer.

Here’s a breakdown of the vote:

YEAS-- George Barker, John Bell, Jennifer Boysko, Creigh Deeds, Adam Ebbin, John Edwards, Barbara Favola, Ghazala Hashmi, Janet Howell, Lynwood Lewis, Mamie Locke, Louise Lucas, David Marsden, Monty Mason, Jennifer McClellan, Jeremy McPike, Joseph Morrissey, Chapman Petersen, Richard Saslaw, Lionell Spruill, Scott Surovell--21.

NAYS-- Chafin, Chase, Cosgrove, DeSteph, Dunnavant, Hanger, Kiggans, McDougle, Newman, Norment, Peake, Pillion, Ruff, Stanley, Suetterlein--15.

NOT VOTING-- Mark Obenshain, Bryce Reeves, Richard Stuart, Jill Vogel--4.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...paign=20200827

Virginia Senate Passes Bill Making Assault on Police a Misdemeanor with Possibility of No Jail Time

The Virginia Senate passed legislation Wednesday that would demote assaulting a police officer from a felony to a misdemeanor and would remove a mandatory jail sentence for the crime.

Virginia’s upper chamber voted 21-15 to approve Senate Bill 5032 during the current Virginia General Assembly special session, WSLS first reported.

According to the legislation’s summary, it would “[eliminate] the mandatory minimum term of confinement for an assault and battery committed against a judge; magistrate; law-enforcement officer; correctional officer; person directly involved in the care, treatment, or supervision of inmates; firefighter; or volunteer firefighter or any emergency medical services personnel and provides that such crime can no longer be committed as a simple assault and must result in a bodily injury.”

Meanwhile, a bill to ban police-free “CHOP” zones as seen in Democrat-run cities like Seattle was voted down by a Virginia Senate committee, Virginia Mercury News reported. The Republican-sponsored bill was shot down by a vote of 5-8, with one Democrat lawmaker branding it “the most useless piece of legislation I’ve ever seen.”

“I’ll bring some T-shirts for our committee that say ‘Virginia is for CHOP zones,’” Republican State Sen. Bill Stanley quipped after the failed vote.

However Democrat Sen. Joe Morrissey backed the bill, saying: “That seems to me as reasonable and practical and purposeful as breathing oxygen. Why wouldn’t we do that?”
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Default Re: Virginia Democrats: "Assaulting Police is OK"

How about the assault of a lawmaker?
    Anyway, I agree somewhat. If a cop assaults me for no good damn legal reason,
    I'd like to be able to defend myself without worrying about going to prison.
    Other than that, if I were a cop, I wouldn't go on any calls, especially if it were a
    politician that called

If I were a Republican Governor and the state House passed that, I'd immediately deputize all of them before (not) signing.

They'd change their mind quickly.

Unfortunately for VA, they have Blackface Abort'em for Governor. He'll sign it and throw a press party for the occasion.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Virginia needs to flip the Senate back to red soooooo badly.
    It is literally only a 1 or 2 seat majority the dems have there.

I do think the extreme things the Dems elected in VA have been doing could make that happen. The brainless Democrat voters won't change, but a lot of non-voters will hopefully wake up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Franklin County)

I support this legislation.

The penalty shouldn't hinge on the clothing or job choice of the victim. Perhaps a better choice would have been to stiffen the penalty for "normal" assault, but establishing special classes with extra protections is not consistent with the guarantees of the 14th Amendment.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I can agree with making the assault of ANY human stiffer.

However, I don't think the Democrats' intentions are to eliminate classes, because that's the entire concept of their entire agenda, dividing people into classes. Their intention here is to make the lives of our police officers worthless, and to reward those who kill them. This legislation has nothing to do with equal justice or fairness, it;s 100% about eliminating police, even if by murdering them or making their sacrifice not worth the paycheck so they just give up.

Sounds like a harsh accusation, but the Democrat Party had actually shown that they detest law enforcement. That, I can't support.

You absolutely have to look at who proposed this legislation to determine the intent. Laws are often given great sounding names and written in a way that's hard to argue with, but the intent and end results are often very different than how it sounds in the speeches and commercials.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    I can agree with making the assault of ANY human stiffer.

However, I don't think the Democrats' intentions are to eliminate classes, because that's the entire concept of their entire agenda, dividing people into classes. Their intention here is to make the lives of our police officers worthless, and to reward those who kill them. This legislation has nothing to do with equal justice or fairness, it;s 100% about eliminating police, even if by murdering them or making their sacrifice not worth the paycheck so they just give up.

Sounds like a harsh accusation, but the Democrat Party had actually shown that they detest law enforcement. That, I can't support.

You absolutely have to look at who proposed this legislation to determine the intent. Laws are often given great sounding names and written in a way that's hard to argue with, but the intent and end results are often very different than how it sounds in the speeches and commercials.
    I get what you're saying about intent, and I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of motives in this case, but the bottom line is what actually happens as it's applied.

There are lots of PA gun laws with "intent" in favor of our rights, but the practical application fucks us over for the most part. Carry on school property is an excellent example. To anyone who's honest and literate, the drafters clearly intended to allow for lawful carry on school grounds, including within the schools themselves. And while we've had a tiny bit of luck in the courts when it comes up, the prevailing understanding is STILL that it's a steep risk that will cost you dearly, even if you win.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

this is the section that pissed me off

firefighter; or volunteer firefighter or any emergency medical services personnel

its time for them to say, fuck you if you riot , set fires and get hurt, you can lay there and bleed out douchebag, im all out of fucks to give about your liberal pansy ass dieing
    bailout the working class not the freeloading class

(Wayne County)

Yeah,

Despite the apparent intent of those proposing the legislation, this is a bill that I can't disagree with.

I loathe mandatory minimums and zero tolerance policies. Let the merits of the case dictate the sentence. We don't have caste systems in the US. A felony assault is a felony assault, whether against a beat cop, a paramedic or someone's granny. An aggravated push should not be automatically elevated to felony simply because of a uniform was present. This is the kind of shit that gives cops (SOME cops) the sense of entitlement that allows them to believe that they are beyond the laws that govern the rest of us.

It shouldn't have to be relealed. The law never should have been enacted in the first place.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast